Author Topic: 999ci HD si shuts down on restart  (Read 3487 times)

Offline skeeter08

• Unit(s): 999ci hd si
  • Software: unknw
  • Accessories: none
999ci HD si shuts down on restart
« on: January 07, 2016, 06:51:47 AM »
999ci HD si shuts down on restart every time I switch from trolling motor to main engine my unit shuts down and I need to restart it, I was thinking of putting in a in line fuse and hard wiring straight to one of my batteries. I've reposition the power source on my fuse panel and it still does it so I'm thinking the unit is dropping power when the engine fires off, the unit stays on otherwise. My batteries are a couple years old but they have a full charge.

Offline 49thdiver

• Unit(s): 997, wide 1
Re: 999ci HD si shuts down on restart
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 03:07:40 AM »
I have had these kind of problems in the past and it has always been a voltage drop in the wiring because of the heavy starting load.
Go over the wiring closer looking for bad connections especially at the battery and any inline switches or bus bars.
It could even be a sign of a failing starter motor or dying batteries.
The best situation is to have an independent house battery that powers all your electronics. This kind of a spike has the potential to damage your electronics. I remember once I did a setup situation with diode and a capacitor. The diode in series with +12volts feeding the electronics and a capacitor on the electronics side of the diode. The capacitor needs to be big like 10,000 ufd rated at 20 volts minimum. This configuration serves to provide a little voltage reserve or buffer to the electronics so that when the starter drags the voltage down on the battery side of the diode the capacitor holds the voltage up for a second until it returns to normal. Of course if your cranking for a long time you would need a proportionally larger capacitor. As I said above best thing to do is to set up a house battery that runs your electronics and is not loaded up with the starter, you will need a diode splitter from the alternator to charge it. Depending on how much electronics you run off it it can be a much smaller battery than your cranking battery but should be deep cycle so you c an run it down with out damaging it.  Good luck , happy boating

Offline skeeter08

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 06:14:11 AM »
I run 4 batteries 2 for my trolling motor and 2 for my other systems. I'm not loaded down with other electronics however one of my main draws is my bait/live wells I usually running both for hours at a time without starting the boat. I'm thinking that they might be the reason for lower voltage during the day. However this occurs every time even on the first run of the day so that probably isn't the problem. Thanks for the suggestions I guess I guess I'll dive into it again this weekend because I'm tired of dropping of the unit every start up. Maybe I'll call Humminbird today see what they think.

Offline 49thdiver

• Unit(s): 997, wide 1
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 01:36:29 PM »
One of the things you can do to diagnose it would be to set one of the readout options (in advance mode) to display the voltage.
Watching that thru the day and when you switch over will give you an idea of what is actually happening to the voltage.
Look for corrosion on any of your connectors. All the best

Offline skeeter08

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 06:28:20 AM »
Thanks I'll try it, yesterday I decided to hard wire it to the 2nd engine battery. I installed a in line 5  amp fuse read voltage at the pins and had a steady 12.5 hooked up the unit worked without trying to start the boat. Sunday I'll take her out see if it solves my issue. I'll keep the voltage on all day so I can watch if there are any drops. If this doesn't work I'll be calling Humminbird tech support. Thanks for the suggestions.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo