Author Topic: Question about NVB maps on unit  (Read 9033 times)

Offline AZfisherdude

• Unit(s): 798ci si
Question about NVB maps on unit
« on: March 12, 2010, 01:10:46 PM »
When I go into the settings where it says CHART MENU tab the CHART SELECT is set to AUTO.
There are arrows to the right and left but when I press the cursor control key it just beeps, Doesn't let me select a map and look at it. I have the NVB unit and would love to look at some of the maps.  Is there somewhere else I should be looking to do this?

Offline stillbear

• Stillbear
  • Unit(s): 997c SI - 1198 c SI - HDS-10
  • Software: 5.840 5.700- 4.0
  • Accessories: Barometer ,GRHA , 8gb 30 mb/ extreme III
Re: Question about NVB maps on unit
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 04:04:02 PM »
If it is set on auto you should you should be able to bring up your maps in one of your chart views .   Gary

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »
AZfisherdude

Are you asking whether you want to use the NVB chart or HB's chart for the same area?

In auto the software will select the NVB lake chart.

If you want to select another lake, bring up the chart (full page) then hit the (-) button until you can view the area where the lake is at.  Then use the cursor to get into that area, slowly zoom up and continue to move the cursor over the lake you want to see.  It might take a few trys but you can view any lake in the U.S.

I live in Southern CA and I just brought up Lake Eufuala's map in Oklahoma on my 1197 NVB unit.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the detail of this lake.   My area lake (Skinnner) has very poor map coverage, for the best part it is just an outline.

Also Navionics has little or no documentation on using their maps.  I just stumbled on something that might be of use when using the view key while scrolling through the screens, the view key scroll through the screens moving forward.  If you pass the screen you wanted you can hit the exit key it scrolls backwards (at least on my unit).

George
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 09:47:28 PM by George »

Offline George

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 05:58:10 PM »
When I install my 2010 card in my unit, under the "Chart" drop down menu, I have more choices in Chart Select - Auto, NVB, Left Chart Card or Right Chart Card, depending on where the card is installed.

George

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:11:39 AM »
If you do not have a map card installed all you will be able to see are the NVB maps on your unit.  Since there is no additional mapping source to view the “Auto” setting is the only selection possible.  If you add a map card the unit will detect it and add the appropriate menu options (see attached file).

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 04:04:02 PM »
Thanks Greg but George got what I meant. I wanted to be able to view lakes other than the one I was on. I thought that the "auto" could be changed to let me choose the map. by State listing or something. Initially, I thought it was because I was in Simulator mode but I went to the lake today and it pulled up the lake I was on and still couldn't change the map. I now know why.

@George I will give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

On a related note. Do the settings on the unit stay? I was curious about the memory of an unplugged unit?

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 05:21:31 PM »
Thanks again George. I see you were right about the maps. By hitting the minus key repeatedly and moving the cursor, I was able to see the other lakes. Kind of a pain but I guess it is what it is and it does work so thank you!

Offline George

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 05:21:54 PM »
AZfisherdude

If you are viewing another lake it does not save these settings (at least I have not had any luck with going back to another lake), each time I want to view a lake any place in the U.S. I have to zoom out cursor over find the lake and then look at it, being careful not to back up.  NVB covers the U.S. pretty well and there is a lot of good information but it is a little difficult to get around. 

For $20.00 Navionics HotMaps Explorer is the easiest way to play with different lakes.  The only issues is that HiDef lakes have to be downloaded at additional cost, but if it is a specific lake it is still worth it.

I have also purchased a Hotmaps Platinum Card which I can look at on NavPlanner.  This is a good program but still does not allow you to view everything like it shows on the HB units.

George

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 10:16:17 AM »
Depending on what mode you are in the unit will remember menu setting changes.  If you have the unit operating on your boat it is in the “Normal” operating mode and will remember most settings.  If you only have a power cable attached to the unit and power it on it will automatically go into the point of sale simulator mode and will not remember any menu setting (in fact it should rest all the menu setting about two minutes after the last button was pressed).  If you have only the power connected up and while the unit is still showing its Title page (“Humminbird 798c Si NVB” or whatever model it is) you press the MENU button; you should get several menu selections to choose from.  Selecting this Simulator allows the unit to remember the settings whenever it is used n the Normal mode.

One of the menu settings that is available is the “Set Simulator Position” which is found under the Chart menu tab.  Once set the unit will start up in either simulator mode at this position [Note: that if this location is set to a lake that is using a mapping card for the data seen on the unit and that mapping card is removed it will default back to its original factory set position.]  If this menu is set and the unit is powered on in the Normal operating mode it will show your location according to what the GPS Receiver determines is its position on the earth.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo