Author Topic: 898c Bricked with Humminbird Logo Screen after s/w version update  (Read 12855 times)

Offline mharding67

Tried to update firmware - unit is brand new.  Bought PC cables and read bootstrap threads.  Still stuck with Humminbird logo and water screen.  Had no loss of power on first change the screens changed colors as if it was working then the screen froze.  Holding VIEW button during reboot offers no joy.  Any thoughts out there - sitting on hold for customer service.  Setting everything to factory default seem like a good idea from a design perspective.  Thinking about sending to the company I bought if from to return since I suspect May is a horrible time to get things done at HB.  Any procedure is greatly appreciated.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 898c Bricked with Humminbird Logo Screen after s/w version update
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:11:48 PM »
Welcome to the Side Imaging Forums mharding67.

There is nothing that you can do at this point other than to contact Humminbird and see about getting the unit reprogrammed.  This will mean replacing a programmed IC within the unit.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline mharding67

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »
I cant recall how many factory reset buttons I have hit on other products to get me back to a functional starting point.  Add the stinking chip to hold the reset values, put 50 bucks on the product with a step or two and lo and behold your customers are happy....perhaps with all the people they have doing valueless work they could be focused on testing new designs which are bullet proof.  I love the product but I will never upload new software in summer/fall.  I also want my 15 bucks back for sending it in.....  ;-)

Offline 4d-rock

• Unit(s): 997c SI, 778c, 570
  • Software: 6.30
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:05:13 AM »
*shudder*

Even though my electronic junky brain is telling me to do it, it's posts like this that make me not want to update my 997c unit.

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »
It's unfortunate this happened to you, but it does happen, and
it's best to move forward instead of bad-mouthing.

perhaps with all the people they have doing valueless work they could be focused on testing new designs which are bullet proof.
This statement is totally uncalled for.  I'm sure the Humminbird employees
word as hard as anybody else.
You should know, that nothing in the electronics world is bulletproof.

Take this advice.  Be friendly to the Humminbird customer service people.
They DID NOT cause your system to malfunction.
They're just people doing a job.  Yelling and ranting at them won't get you much.
If you threaten any type of legal action, they will no longer communicate with you.

Before doing an update, it's best to research it on the internet
for a few months.  If after that time, you can't find any negative
posts about it, then it may be safe.

In the future, if you have to send your unit in, ask Humminbird to
first send you a postage paid mailing label.

Offline HBirdDeborahCRC

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 06:07:51 PM »
Welcome to the Side Imaging Forums mharding67.

There is nothing that you can do at this point other than to contact Humminbird and see about getting the unit reprogrammed.  This will mean replacing a programmed IC within the unit.

Tried to update firmware - unit is brand new.  Bought PC cables and read bootstrap threads.  Still stuck with Humminbird logo and water screen.  Had no loss of power on first change the screens changed colors as if it was working then the screen froze.  Holding VIEW button during reboot offers no joy.  Any thoughts out there - sitting on hold for customer service.  Setting everything to factory default seem like a good idea from a design perspective.  Thinking about sending to the company I bought if from to return since I suspect May is a horrible time to get things done at HB.  Any procedure is greatly appreciated.

The 898 would need to be updated with an SD Card and not the pc connection cable.    You may opt to send in the unit for service.  The turn around for service is @ 3-5 working days in house.     If you would like to provide me via a PM your contact information I would be happy to assist you with the return.

Thank you,

Deborah @ Humminbird

Offline mharding67

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 08:36:28 PM »
I am not bad mouthing HB their unit is the best out there... but I shelled out 1300 bucks for something I cannot use because it does not work after I followed exact instructions.  I do not think that the people who are now fixing my unit are not doing their job without good intentions - people are good.  But really?  How is it value added work that I am shelling out money to send a unit back to the factory - over and above my cost to buy the unit - to do something that I should be able to do without their help? 

If you think that the people who designed this system with an option to fail and leave the only available option to send it in are doing a good service to their company then you are either a union employee or someone that lacks any ability to run a business successfully.  If they give me steps and I follow them and I then have to send it in - its a flawed design. I will not argue with you.  If HB listens to me - they will only improve.  I am helping them be successful because I am honest - and more important I AM THE CUSTOMER.  Perhaps I should just be grateful that I can afford SI sonar for my family boat and consider myself fortunate regardless whether the unit works.  Shame on you for accepting failure as an acceptable outcome - its un-American - I have spoken- Good day.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:38:17 PM by mharding67 »

Offline ITGEEK

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 09:26:12 AM »
I had to send my 1197 in twice, because of screen problems.
I wasn't happy about it, but, if I wanted a working system,
I had to do what needed to be done.
I didn't bitch about it, or say that Humminbird should build
screens that don't go bad.  I just contacted the Humminbird
customer service folks, and followed their instructions.
Electronics malfunction.
I don't care who makes them.
You have hardware and software working together in these
complicated sonars.
The important thing is that in the end, Humminbird took care
of me and I am a very satisfied customer.
Think of this: Humminbird did not tell you to upgrade your
software.  You opted to do it, and it went bad.
It happens, sometimes.
If you are a reasonable person, Humminbird will make it right
for you.

Offline HBirdDeborahCRC

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 09:35:48 AM »
I am not bad mouthing HB their unit is the best out there... but I shelled out 1300 bucks for something I cannot use because it does not work after I followed exact instructions.  I do not think that the people who are now fixing my unit are not doing their job without good intentions - people are good.  But really?  How is it value added work that I am shelling out money to send a unit back to the factory - over and above my cost to buy the unit - to do something that I should be able to do without their help? 

If you think that the people who designed this system with an option to fail and leave the only available option to send it in are doing a good service to their company then you are either a union employee or someone that lacks any ability to run a business successfully.  If they give me steps and I follow them and I then have to send it in - its a flawed design. I will not argue with you.  If HB listens to me - they will only improve.  I am helping them be successful because I am honest - and more important I AM THE CUSTOMER.  Perhaps I should just be grateful that I can afford SI sonar for my family boat and consider myself fortunate regardless whether the unit works.  Shame on you for accepting failure as an acceptable outcome - its un-American - I have spoken- Good day.

The 898c SI is designed to be updated via an sd card and not the pc connection cable.   The pc connection cable was designed to allow units that do not have an sd card slot the ability to have the software updated.   I am sorry you have had an unpleasant experience when updating the unit.   If you have not already spoken to a Customer Service agent, I will be happy to assist you with the return to enable you to get back on the water as soon as possible.  Please send me an IM direct.

Thank you,
Deborah @ Humminbird

Offline mharding67

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 09:39:47 AM »
Reasonable people accept the world as it is, unreasonable people do not - therefore all progress is a result of unreasonableness.  I know they will take care of me and I love their product.  I am not bad mouthing them.  I am an engineer and have worked on complex systems for military and aviation industries, I know what I am talking about.  Lets just let this pass (like a kidney stone) and agree to be friends.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:45:12 AM by mharding67 »

Offline mharding67

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 09:43:01 AM »
Deborah - I did use an SD card and followed the exact steps and that was what caused the issue.  The PC cable was purchased to try and save time and there is a thread on this website that details steps to use PC when SD card fails.  Its OK, I am fine.  You guys are great, can't wait to get my unit in the water.  Thanks so much for all of your help. 

Offline HBirdDeborahCRC

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 10:03:22 AM »
The PC cable will work with some products relative to reloading software from bootstrap mode, however this does wouldn't work with the following units 858,958,1158,898,998 and 1198 units.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 02:04:44 AM »
Mharding67,

I am anxious to hear what steps you used to do the update.  From Humminbird website?   

The reason i ask this is that the Humminbird website does not use the restore default method anymore, and I find that you seem to have far fewer problems if you follow the video I posted on you tube.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 10:33:12 AM »
I agree with you.  They should design the units to be bullet proof.  End of story.  They need customer feedback and should listen to constructive criticism.
That's how one improves their products and customer service. 

I'd be mad too if my updates failed and I had to send my unit in and be without it for a week and spend more money on the unit than necessary.

I've been lucky with my Humminbird Units and they have worked out of the box so far. 

Regards,

Moose1am

Offline BillM

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 11:29:46 AM »
Doesn't sound like the OP read the directions on how to update his HB.   Perhaps next time he'll read them.

Offline seamonkey

• Unit(s): 898si
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 11:18:40 PM »
This post makes me mad. I have delt with hummingbird staff on the phone and they are very pleasn't and informative.  I am sure you were taken care of and you didn't have the common dececey to come back and repost how fast they repaired or how well they treated you. Shame on you!   Hummingbird staff rocks! ;D

Offline ITGEEK

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »
A++.
Way to put it, seamonkey.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo