Author Topic: New member with new stuff!  (Read 2825 times)

Offline 1eyefishing

• Unit(s): Gen2 Solix 12, Gen2 Solix 10, Hbird 360
New member with new stuff!
« on: November 28, 2018, 10:24:07 AM »
Hello all, new member here with a couple of questions about my new set up. I'm about to take delivery on a new bay boat with a literal boatload of Humminbirds! I'm switching from previous Lowrance setups in order to run my new Minn Kota Ulterra with the I-pilot link.I have zero experience networking multiple units together.
I have ordered a helix 12 g3n for the console and a helix 10 g3n (transducer on the trolling motor) for the nose of the boat. I also have a transom mounted 360 unit ordered and since it doesn't have its own screen, I added another helix that I would like to be able to move back and forth from the bow to the console (RAM mounts). I have four units to network and the I pilot link connected to my 5 Port network box. Other than running wires to both locations and physically switching them out at the network box each time I want to change positions, what are my options? Wishing there was a network box with more ports, or that I could somehow get a split wiring going to each location.
Any ideas? Maybe adding a second network box?
My second question is what to do with the transducer associated with the third Helix. I was thinking of mounting it inside the hull hoping that I would be able to hold bottom better at speed than with my transom mounted transducer. Since I'm networking units together, I'm assuming I will have no problem switching views on any machine to see the signal from any transducer? No interference problems to be expected?
I'm hoping to be able to view SI, DI, and 360 view on the console unit well viewing sonar returns on the secondary console unit while at idle speed on the big motor. Then, while I'm fishing (mostly inshore and nearshore SW) on the front deck, I'd like to be able to split screen sonar and navigation on one unit while having full screen 360 view on the secondary unit up front.
Any problems with this setup other than how to make the secondary unit portable from the console to the front deck?
Thanks for any input...
Very much looking forward to my future floating technology center! ;D
...other eye hunting.

Offline 1eyefishing

Re: New member with new stuff!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 02:58:12 PM »
OK, after doing a little more research I realize that all the transducers except for the 360 go into the back of the units they work with.
I think for the small cost of a second networking box I'll be able to move my units around as needed. I realize that I may never need to see my trolling motor transducer from the console. Thinking out loud, if the tertiary unit that I'm wanting to move back and forth between the bow and the console is dedicated to the shoot through transducer, then that transducer will be only viewable at only one of the two spots, the console preferably. Then if I move it to the front it will network with the 360 while the other bow unit works off the trolling motor transducer. I think I got that. Any thoughts?
The addition of a second 5 Port network box (no problems with them working in conjunction with each other?) Will allow me to pre-wire both locations for the tertiary unit. Am I overlooking anything?
...other eye hunting.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 01:51:51 PM »
It is possible to "daisy chain" multiple AS ETH 5XPG switches to add more Ethernet devices to a single network  ... This requires an extra Ethernet cable to connect the 2 AS ETH 5XPG switches  ...
-----

Depending on which model you decide for the TM application - there may be a better mounting option xducer available than the transom mount xducer that comes stock with the unit of choice  ... This exchange option should be with HB by phone before opening the transducer hardware baggie or using the stock transom xducer  ... 1-800-633-1468
-----

There is always a possibility of crosstalk interference when operating 2 separate sonar sources at the same frequency at the same time ... and can be seen as interference on the Sonar screens of affected units  ...

Some choose to turn sonar off affected units to use the unit as a chartplotter  ...

Some choose to select a single common xducer in each unit's network Menu  ...

Some lucky users never even see crosstalk interference  ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:53:10 PM by rnvinc »

Offline 1eyefishing

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 11:50:00 AM »
Thanks for your reply, rnvinc...
Other than that, it is pretty dead on this thread subject.
Without solid info on this complicated setup I've decided to go BACK to my original idea for my best setup.
I'm doing a 10in  gen2 solix on the nose, and we'll have to wait just a few weeks after my boat delivery to put the G2 solix 12 mega chirp in my console dash. I will wire the solix 10 both to the nose in the console and be able to switch the head unit. Still planning on the 360° transom unit. My salesman is told me that they will communicate perfectly together.
I thought I might try to save a little money and be more versatile with the Helix units, but I spent nearly an hour on the phone with nothingbutfish, and he confirmed that I will be able to see all I need to see with the solix units.
But I'm still planning on glassing in I threw the hole transducer. I believe one of the transducer switches in line will accommodate my choice of which transducer to use at full speed...
I guess the only thing better than versatility is simple versatility.
Looking forward!
...other eye hunting.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo