Author Topic: Navionics Chart Update Problem  (Read 18032 times)

Offline lcookie

• Unit(s): 998SI/1198SI/788DI/587DI
  • Software: 6.68/6.64/6.64/6.09
  • Accessories: Ethernet, GRHA, ASGPSHS,WeatherSense
Navionics Chart Update Problem
« on: April 29, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »
I have a navionics hotmaps premium chip that I just did an update on.  Before the update I had no problem reading the chart in my Bird unit.  After the update the charts will not load on my Bird.  I plug it in my Low and it reads so the card it not corrupt.  Any ideas?

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
  • Unit(s): 1199 H12G2N-HW-MSI
Re: Navionics Chart Update Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:08:21 PM »
did you use the same card slot? check that setting in the menus for left/right/either slot for map card.

Offline wolfs4evr

• Unit(s): 898c SI / 798ci HD SI
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
I updated my chip Friday night and headed to the lake Saturday...  Should of checked it.  No charts.  I just got a error of map loading (maybe it was chart loading) and it stayed on like that for hours.  Was bummed.  Lake Mead is fairly dangerous going from hundreds of feet deep to inches in the middle of nowhere.  I drove around very carefully Saturday.  Anyways when I got home I put the chip in the computer again and it said I had the freshest data.  There was a option to download again .  I selected download again and ran out to the boat and checked it and all was good.  No sure what happened there.  Bad download maybe.  Might be what happend to you.  Worth a try.

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »
Under your Chart Menu:
 Make sure your chart detail is set to "All".
 And your spot soundings are set to "Visibie".
 And what LocDown suggested: that your Chart Select is set to "Auto".

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 02:06:39 PM »
I would try what wolfs4evr tried and re-download the update to the map card.

FYI: just because it works for another manufacture’s product does not mean that some of the data on the map card could not be corrupt and not work in our products.  We use the map data differently then some other companies, so what may work on theirs, may not work on ours and vice versa.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline lcookie

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 02:24:43 PM »
Ok guy’s thanks for the tips. I tried all those options before posting but had no success. I put the card back in the pc to try the update again.  It said I had the updated info but tried it again anyways.  Loaded maps before I went to work today and all is good.  Seems their servers were acting up.  I am one with myself again.  I was very PO'd.  Especially since CS was not open to assist.  Greg, when I was talking about card being corrupted I was referring to their disclaimer that if you try to copy charts it will fry the card.  Since it worked in the other unit they could not pull that crap on me.

Offline AK Mort

• Unit(s): 1198c SI
  • Software: 6.18
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 08:18:26 PM »
I has similar troubles.  Updated over the winter, then when I fired it up, the new maps caused my 1198cSI to continually reboot.  Pulled the map chip, all was good.  Updated again last week, and all is well in the world again!

Offline calli1

• Unit(s): 1198 S I & 787c2i
  • Accessories: XM Weather & Weather Sense
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 10:06:34 PM »
I am a prostaff member of Navionics.  You need to contact their tech/customer service department.  Go online, go to Navionics and retreive the number there.  Also, check the FAQ list.  This is the first that I have seen of this trouble.  There will be someone there to help you.  One question and I think I already have the answers..."Is your card within the 365 update window" ?   I wish I could do more but please contact our folks at tech/customer service.

Offline calli1

• Unit(s): 1198 S I & 787c2i
  • Accessories: XM Weather & Weather Sense
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 11:05:04 PM »
This was quoted on Navionics Main Page of their website.... " Due to a sudden and unexpected increase in traffic,
you may experience degraded performance in downloading charts both on mobile phones and plotters.
We are working to resolve the problem, and we apologize for the disservice.  Please try again later "

Offline AK Mort

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 12:56:03 AM »
Thanks for pitching in Calli1.  My problem is solved.  A second update of my chart (free, inside the 365) resolved the problems my HB was having reading them.  I don't know if there was actually any change to any of the charts I use in S. AK, but I don't have any issues with the chip in my HB.  Don't know if any of the others are still having problems; it sounded to me like they had results similar to mine.

Do you think it would be helpful to Navionics for me to contact them, or is my issue pretty much under the umbrella of what they were disclosing, and they have it under control?

Offline wolfs4evr

• Unit(s): 898c SI / 798ci HD SI
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 01:09:12 AM »
When I d/l on Friday eve I seen the alert about slow/degraded site performance.  It took longer than normal to d/l.  That was the failed d/l.  I re-downloaded the update Saturday eve with the same alert still on Navionics webpage and it took a long time to d/l also but this one worked.  Note to self to always go to the map page after a update to be sure it is good.  I do always turn my unit on post updates but usually just go to the GPS screen so I can see that it is recognizing the card.  It did in both circumstances but didn't perform correctly in one.

Offline lcookie

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »
I am a prostaff member of Navionics.  You need to contact their tech/customer service department.  Go online, go to Navionics and retreive the number there.  Also, check the FAQ list.  This is the first that I have seen of this trouble.  There will be someone there to help you.  One question and I think I already have the answers..."Is your card within the 365 update window" ?   I wish I could do more but please contact our folks at tech/customer service.

Calli,

Thanks for responding.  I am with in my year of free updates.  After I redownloaded the charts a second time things worked out for me.  Jus glad I checked before I got on the water.

Offline depputydawg

• Unit(s): 798c1Hdsi
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 10:58:42 PM »
Wow, I thought I was the only one that had trouble.  Same issues, did the update and then my charts would not load. Humminbird unit said "loading charts", then "No charts".  Firs time out the unit was loading charts for three hours and no luck.  Back and forth with Navionics and Humminbird.  What I had missed is that I had to first zoom way out so I could see practically all of North America.  Plugged in the sd card and away it went.  Lots of time wasted on this, but it was simply resolved, at least for me on my 798.

Depputydawg

Offline AK Mort

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 02:32:38 PM »
On a related issue, I just updated the Navionics PC App to 1.7.0 this weekend (had tried unsuccessfully previously) and now I only see some of the maps on my chip/computer.  I can't see any detail on the main map for Southern AK - includes Cook Inlet, Prince William Sound, Resurrection Bay, etc.  I can see much of SE AK, Kodiak, etc.  But the maps in my HB (read from the chip) are all normal.

Any thoughts on why my PC App suddenly is missing some of these maps?  I even put the chip back in the PC, and no difference.

Offline lcookie

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 04:43:29 AM »
Your PC app may have not downloaded fully.  It took me almost a day to download mine.  It kept stopping.  Each time it stopped I only had some of the lakes/states downloaded.  Once it downloaded fully I had the entire region.

Offline AK Mort

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
Well, I believe you were correct, sir!  I had shutdown and restarted a couple times thinking it could be something like that, but never saw a change.  After your suggestion, I tried it again, and it started reloading the map.  Now I have the whole thing again!  Thanks for the suggestion.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo