Author Topic: Which Sonar for SAR in 2015 ?  (Read 6340 times)

Offline Rafael

• Unit(s): 997cx
  • Software: 6.300
Which Sonar for SAR in 2015 ?
« on: January 29, 2015, 12:49:30 PM »
Hello together,

I am living in an area where many quarry ponds are. The companies dredging gravel and sand out of the ground.
I am an member of an search and rescue team in Germany and sometimes (once or twice a year) we have to search for a drown person because of illegal swimming.
We already have an Humminbird 997 Si since 2007, but now we are looking if the market has something better and I think here are reading the right persons for such questions.

We are searching a new unit and I listed some aspects below:

- Very good SI quality - good target seperation, good resolution, --> for finding drown bodies!
- Big Display like 10" with great resolution and brighness for sunny days.
- stable, fast and reliable
- Waypoints for marking positions on SI and to look at it from different angles.

Nice to have:
- Touchscreen - if it works good
- Recording
- Map creation  (We already own DrDepth which is working with the 997 wonderfull :) )

Our lakes are shallow freshwater (0 - 20m), some have rocks/gravel-cluster some are sandy or mud. And them are small max. 1km², mostly 0.25km²

I already had my Eyes on:

- 1199   --> looks good, but 800khz washout problem? - no touchscreen

- Onix10
--> looks really nice. BUT I read many users comments that it's very buggy, it seems to be better with V2.0 software, but is it very good and stable now or not?
Is the Side Scan better than 1199 ? Does anybody have screenshots from same places with both units?
I am really unsure if it is stable and reliable enough for us? (Hopefully Diel11 will read and comment this :) )

I know it is an Humminbird forum but maybe someone tested some other Brands?

- HDS12 with LSS2 ? Bad coverage to the sides I read, good at hard structures but not so good for drown bodies?
- Garmin with the CHIRP SideScan (e.g. 7410xsv with GT50 transducer ?)

Raymarine we already tested at a non optimal day and it wasnt as goog as the 997csi (it was a very windy day 50 - 60 km/h, but the unit has to work at any weather conditions...)

Does a Starfisch e.g. 990f deliver an image quality that much better than a cosumer grade SI ? If yes than I am not sure if the usability is so great on our small boats with extra Laptop... How does the Waypoint marking and navigation will work? And if it will rain I can't use it...

What are your thoughts and experience?

Thanks in advance!  :)

Best regards
Rafael

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: Which Sonar for SAR in 2015 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 02:31:12 PM »
For SAR and depths something like a $50,000 unit with a supported towfish or if small area a sector scan tripod. 
HB does not make a SAR unit. Theirs are all about fishing.  In smaller areas and shallow depths HB might (might) help somewhat. 
If the object of a search is that of a missing person, then go with the more expensive units that are commercial. Chuck

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 07:44:40 PM »
From all the reports I have seen, the Onix is working really good after the last update.  There are some that are NOT easy to please that are happy with it.

In the non-commercial units, I think it has the best SI and DI.

It has the capability of mapping on the unit itself or recording and doing your own mapping with Autochart......I am not familiar with the Dr Depth capabilities with an Onix recording.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline Rafael

• Unit(s): 997cx
  • Software: 6.300
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 02:56:23 AM »
@chuck, thanks for your reply, I agree that an commercial grade sonar would be the best, but the Budget will only allow a consumer grade one. 95% of the lakes are only 10m depth...

@ Bob, yes the Onix sounds good, and I will try to get a seller who will borrow us one for testing. The mapping feature is really cool and could help the divers at an operation. As I read, Humminbird change the dataformat slightly, also on the newer core units, that we can't import the data to Dr.Depth directly, but maybe it is possible to convert them to .xtf and then import to Dr.Depth...

Rafael

Offline Rüdiger

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 04:41:37 AM »

Hi Rafael

I can only agree with Chuck!
In any case, a device with towfish; with HB homebrewing is possible rather difficult for LW. An alternative STARFISH with 900 khz, in price between LW / HB and professional sonar.

mvh
Rüdiger

Ps .: I would like to welcome you in my forum

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 07:58:53 AM »
Rafael, I understand budgets for what they are... 
If you don't have the money for the good units then buy a cheaper one but understand the limitations and characteristics of what you buy. There is a lengthy learning process with using sonar and this has to be recognized for the use you plan.
SAR for a victim means finding that which is lost. Finding not so much for law enforcement but most importantly for the family.
If you choose the lower end units know them well and what they can and cant do. Know when it is time to call for higher assistance. Have mutual aid programs in place with other agencies who have the  more expensive equipment and can respond when you call for help.
With HB products you should be able to look at a small area and shallow depths for a target. But know when the unit is not giving you the information needed to say the object of interest is found or that you are 99% sure it is not in the search area. Cheaper units for the most part do not offer the 99% ability. That is not to say don't buy one but just know how it works. Spend hours running the unit to learn normal display of bottoms and that will make the unusual easier to see. 

Good luck and let us know from time to time how you all are progressing.

Keep this in mind: A family member's heart cannot begin to heal until we can give a final resting place for the missing loved one.. which means we have to find the object. The heart will keep hope alive for a very very long time....

Chuck
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:01:25 AM by sonar2000 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo