Author Topic: Power Up on Shore  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Submaster

• Unit(s): 898c HD SI
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Navionics Platinum East
Power Up on Shore
« on: May 03, 2013, 02:36:12 PM »
I have an 898c HD...the instruction manual says when powering up the unit when not attached to the boat, to manually select "Simulator" mode vice just letting the unit automatically go into "Simulator" mode. Well...being one to follow the instructions that's what I do; however, on one occasion I was distracted and the unit went into Simulator mode automatically.  I noticed that the sonar image on the DI and SI were noticeably more crisp and detailed when the unit automatically selected Simulator mode.  I tried this on 2 more occasions with my wife as a second set of eyes, and even she noticed a difference. 

1.  Is there a reason this is happening and has anyone else noticed a difference?

2. Do you really need to select simulator mode or can you let the unit automatically go to simulator mode?
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: Power Up on Shore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 01:31:49 PM »
"Forced Simulator" allow changes in any settings to be 'remembered' even after the power has been shut off..

"Point of Sale Simulator" is what big box store displays use to allow customers to play with the buttons without actually saving any of the changes made...

They both control the images and screens the same way while the unit is powered on in either "Simulator" mode...

"Demonstration" on inputs balloon popups onto the "Point of Sale Simulator" explaining different features of the various things seen on the screen during the "Point of Sale Simulator"...

The reason your notice of the "Point of Sale Simulator" being more crisp is because that's the settings Doug V. used when he made the recording for the simulator and his optimum settings were hard coded in recording so that when the unit powered up into "Point of Sale Simulator", his optimum settings are what you first see....

Rickie

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:41:49 PM by rnvinc »

Offline freezerfiller

• Unit(s): 998c SI
  • Software: ??
  • Accessories: Ipilot link
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 01:33:11 PM »
My 998 goes into demo mode if I don't put it on simulation mode.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 01:39:06 PM »
My 998 goes into demo mode if I don't put it on simulation mode.

This is because when the unit first powers up ...it looks for the xducer connected...

If it detects the xducer, it boots into "Normal"...
If it does not detect the xducer...it boots into "Point of Sale Simulator" (Demo) mode...

The unit must be forced into
Forced Simulator" mode (where it will save any changes)...

Rickie

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:43:00 PM by rnvinc »

Offline Submaster

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 11:04:22 AM »
Thank you for the detailed answer.  One last question...is it OK to let the unit go into demo mode automatically?  The instructions say not to, but if that is what they do in the box stores, I don't see how it will harm the unit. Thanks.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »
I'm curious as to why you would want the unit in "Point of Sale Simulator" mode ...(as this mode doesn't allow the settings to be saved)...??

I also don't remember my manual saying not to allow the unit to go into demo mode...about what page is this mentioned..??

Rickie

Offline Submaster

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 08:00:54 AM »
I'm curious as to why you would want the unit in "Point of Sale Simulator" mode ...(as this mode doesn't allow the settings to be saved)...??

I also don't remember my manual saying not to allow the unit to go into demo mode...about what page is this mentioned..??

Rickie

In my manual it is on page 62 under Simulator. There is a Note that reads: " NOTE: It is important to select Simulator manually from the Start-Up Options Menu as opposed to letting the Fishing System enter Simulator automatically (as it will if a transducer is not connected and you do nothing during power up). 

Using Point of Sale mode gives me the flexibility to change settings and not have to go back put the settings back to where I want them. I can be as crazy as I want to and not worry about going back and resetting to my desired settings.  As I'm still new to using and learning, I won't forget to reset a setting.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »
Submaster,
That text is under the Start-Up Options Menu section of the manual and is dealing with the forced simulator mode – not the point-of-sale simulator mode.  So yes, you have to manually force the unit into simulator mode so that “Any menu changes you make will be saved for later use.” (same page but a little farther up on the page).

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
In my manual it is on page 62 under Simulator. There is a Note that reads: " NOTE: It is important to select Simulator manually from the Start-Up Options Menu as opposed to letting the Fishing System enter Simulator automatically (as it will if a transducer is not connected and you do nothing during power up). 

Using Point of Sale mode gives me the flexibility to change settings and not have to go back put the settings back to where I want them. I can be as crazy as I want to and not worry about going back and resetting to my desired settings.  As I'm still new to using and learning, I won't forget to reset a setting.

I think the manual was written in a "usual" scenario that a user would want the unit to save any settings...

But your scenario is a very valid reasoning ....to get as crazy as you want with the settings ...and the unit start up in "Normal" on the water ready to go with your favorite settings....

I think it's a very good idea...

(And it won't hurt the unit to run it in Demo "Point of Sale Simulator")...

If the "cartoon info bubbles" are showing in the "Point of Sale Similator" mode...you can turn off the "cartoon info bubbles" under the setup tab in the main menu...(they are usually off by default anyway)...

Rickie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo