Author Topic: Autocharts -> Reefmaster -> ArcGis  (Read 8148 times)

Offline aaron J

• Unit(s): Helix 7
Autocharts -> Reefmaster -> ArcGis
« on: December 13, 2019, 10:11:34 AM »
Hello,

I am in need of some help!
I recently purchased a Helix 7 with the intent of creating maps for work.
My idea -
1. Use autocharts live with the zerolines card
2. Run the data through Reefmaster to create shapefiles
3. Use Reefmaster created shapefiles in ArcGIS.
4. Make beautiful maps for presentations

So far.....
I purchased the Helix 7, zerolines card, and reefmaster. I have recorded over 20hrs of autocharts live data onto the zero lines card. I plugged my zero lines card into my computer and see a lot of .bin files and .ACU files, neither of which turn out to be compatible with reefmaster.

My question is where do I go from here.
Q1. Is it the .ACU files or the .bin files that I need to convert to a format readable with reefmaster?
Q2. If I need to convert one or both of these files types how do I do so?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!

Offline aaron J

Re: Autocharts -> Reefmaster -> ArcGis
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:43:02 PM »
Can anyone out there answer at least the first question?

Offline Gimp

• Unit(s): 998 HD SI
  • Accessories: i-Pilot Link
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 07:27:42 PM »
Try not to record sonar data onto zerolines cards. They are used for transferring Autochart maps from computer onto sonar units.The Zerolines cards are expensive and the ONLY WAY to transfer maps from Autochart to your sonar unit so keeping free space on those cards is a good idea.

Record sonar data onto traditional SDHC cards. Humminbird used to recommend Sandisk cards no larger than 32Gb. After the data is recorded, transfer that data from the SD sard (the RECORD folder) onto your computer. After that Reefmaster will use the .DAT files and .SON files. Follow the tutorial in the Reefmaster HELP file.

https://reefmaster.com.au/reference2/index.htm

Scroll down and click the Start to finish - create a map for your GPS link

Offline aaron J

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 12:16:08 AM »
Ok, I figured out that it is the ACU files that I need to convert. Now I just need to convert ACU files into a format workable in Reefmaster....

Offline aaron J

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 11:07:01 AM »
I could not be more displeased with Humminbird and Reefmaster.

This is absolutely ridiculous and a huge waste of time and money. If I could return my Helix 7, zero lines card, and Reefmaster purchase today I would.

First
If you record one second over 8 hrs of autocharts data onto the Helix 7 it will wipe all your previous data. In one second, 8 hrs of work is gone.

Second
You buy their zero lines card and record your bathymetry data on it. Fine you now have data that is only viewable on Humminbird units because the company uses a file format that is not usable by any other platform.

Third.
If you want to use another software aka Reefmaster you have to record raw sonar data, which apparently you should not do on your zero lines card. So you cant simultaneously be building a depth map to view on the unit in the field (without recording over 8 hrs of data) while trying to record the only format that reefmaster accepts from humminbird?

I emailed back and forth over and over with Reefmaster before I made the purchase and got back confusing and misleading answers to my questions. So incredibly frustrating and disappointing.

My experience has led me to STRONGLY RECOMMEND LOWRANCE.

Offline D S

• Unit(s): 1198 ,798hd , ipilot link and 360tm
  • Software: 7.5
  • Accessories: HDSI reefmaster Dr Depth autocharts pro
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 04:38:36 PM »
aaron,
you should always backup any recorded data on a pc. no matter what format or method you record on.
and reefmaster v2 will export info to shapefiles is that not the format arc gis uses?

Dave
stgr

Offline aaron J

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 05:11:12 PM »
Dave,

I of course  back up my data onto a PC when it is an option.

Before purchasing the zero lines card My staff used the helix 7 with autocharts to record data directly onto the unit. It was working great. Humminbird advertises that you can record up to 8 hrs of data onto the unit then it will start to record over previous data.

So i thought excellent! and told my crew to record up to 8 hrs then stop. In the meantime i purchased the zerolines card. When I showed up and popped the card into the unit expecting the 8 hrs of data to transfer (Humminbird assured me this was the case) I was enraged to see there was only a few minutes of depth info showing up.

It turns out they had recorded about one minute over 8 hrs and it had erased all of the data they had collected.

Extremely frustrated we started over, this time recording onto the zero lines card. After recording a few days worth of data onto the card, I take it home, pop it into my pc, and offload the data. What I get are a bunch of .acu files. I purchase reefmaster v2 and try to import the .acu files but it turns out Reefmaster does not read .acu files.

Essentially all the data I have thus far collected is useless.

Before purchasing the Helix 7 I emailed reefmaster multiple times expressing exactly what I was hoping to do and what my methods were. I was under the impression that all was good.

So my current understanding is that I have to re record all my data as sonar files if I want a format accepted by reefmaster. But if I am going to record sonar files I should not do so on my zero lines card. So essentially I cant make a map to display on my unit and record data for GIS at the same time.

This is very frustrating. I have the data there, I can see it using Humminbird Live Share, I can see it on my unit. Why is it so impossible to transfer the data to reefmaster?!?!?
I am tempted to now purchase Humminbird autochart pro program to see if I can use it to convert the .acu files into .ht files. I read that someone did that and was then able to upload the .ht files into reefmaster.

But based off of all my experience thus far I am pretty it would end up not working.

Offline D S

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 10:14:24 AM »
aaron ,
 I have AC pro will look at export options for you once I get a chance ...
 ps will check drdepth software as well maybe we can come up with a solution for you

dave
stgr

Offline aaron J

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 01:10:31 PM »
Dave,

You are a life saver!!!
Thank you!

Offline D S

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 09:18:54 PM »
aaron,
       1     i don't have a helix i  have an older 798 hd ….   there is an option to record data  using the snapshot/recording screen
 (this method does not use a Autocharts    card......  any sd card will work I suggest 16 or 32 GB)
just keep hitting enter to scroll thru screens till it goes to record screen
select start recording you will get a flashing red dot on whatever screen you choose to view
make sure to go back to this screen at the end and hit stop recording
 once recorded  it will save under a .dat extension
I think you  can you do this on the helix7??? as well
if so and  you are able to record  that way  then you can directly import the dat file to reefmaster and then export  as a shapefile for arc gis.

2 now for your data saved .acu to convert to a useable format
if you import the .acu to auto charts program  on your pc it will save it as a .ACD in the same directory as it was imported from

open the auto charts program  select  TOOLS- the dropdown  CONVERT LINE TO TRACK select your .acd file  from the appropriate directory you imported from
highlight the file (blue)  there will be a pop up you should choose  >HT ...close the box by closing the X
another pop up will say file converted   
again go back to the original directory  and there should be a HT file now

Open reefmaster ...click on import logs and waypoints select your .HT from the directory and import to reefmaster database
open your track in reefmaster by clicking on WORKSPACE...TRACKS  ...double click your track to open it
once open on page at upper left click on EXPORT  a window will pop up  select shapefile and export this file to location of your choice by selecting write file on bottom right
this is long and drawn out but should rescue your file for you to a useable format

dave
stgr

Offline D S

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 09:21:17 PM »
aaron,
if you goolge helix 7 snapshot and recording there are a few vids on there how to record on this screen
stgr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo