Author Topic: Help with 798ci si install pics included  (Read 15384 times)

Offline riven1950

• Unit(s): 798ci si
Help with 798ci si install pics included
« on: April 17, 2010, 01:43:37 PM »
I just installed my new 798ci si on a 1995 Trophy 2002 model boat. I updated the software to the latest version.

I took the boat out for a test run. The gps and regular sonar seem to work fine. I do get a reading at high and low speeds. I have the following two issues:

!- The transducer is making a rooster tail at higher speeds. It is mounted about where my old transducer was installed which did not have the rooster tail. It is kicking up to the top of the motor and I'm afraid it will kick saltwater into the vent on my motor cover, in addition to not looking right. I am thinking I need to raise the transducer up a bit? Need input.

2- My side imaging appears to be working normally on the right side. On the left it works but it is obvious not working as well. I tried it at slower and faster speeds ( less than 6mph ). It seems best at about 3.5 - 4 mph. I also tried trimming the motor since the transducer is on the right side. Trimming seems to help a little but not much. I spoke to one owner via another forum who has the same boat and unit and he says his works fine. I mounted my transducer to try and copy his installation. I think the best solution might be a second transducer on the left but I'm not sure I want to go that route....would rather fine tune this install if I can. need advice!

I uploaded pics of the installed transducer and some screen shots. The screen shots were a mixture of higher and lower speeds and some with motor trimmed. None of the left side pics are as good as the right.

Not real sure about my pic uploading success. The installed transducer is under " Ted's 798ci si " and the side imaging pics are under " Ted's first si pics "

hopefully some experts can help me out!!

Thanks,
Ted     

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: Help with 798ci si install pics included
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 03:11:26 PM »
Ted,

You have a fairly deep V hull.  You are not going to get SI as good as on the right because of this at speeds above 4-5 mph.  There may not be anything blocking the sonar, but whats happening is the swirling action behind the V traps bubbles and distorts the sonar.  You should get pretty good images below 3-4 mph because there will be less turbulence. 

However, your best bet for getting SI at higher speeds is to get the AS SILR Y Cable and a second transducer.

As for the rooster tail, you could build a block to keep the water from splashing up on the motor.  Try raising the transducer a little, but you may start to lose 2d.  Also, you will definitely more of a loss in SI on the left side.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline riven1950

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 09:12:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I did discover in a short time I was out that < 4 mph is best for SI. I think I will use it a while and determine if I want to add another transducer. I fish exclusively in salt water and need to determine if the benefit of SI is worth the cost and frustration.  Lot's of wave action where I fish to disturb the SI. Guess I'll try it out for awhile using the right side and 1/2 left.

How much does a SILR Y cable and transducer cost and how hard is it to link the two together to get the unit to work as advertised?

Also, on the rooster tail issue....does anyone have a picture of a shield or block used to knock this rooster tail down? How much would I raise the Transducer to try and solve the problem that way ( without a block )?

Thanks,
Ted

Offline xd35

• Unit(s): 798si/1197si
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:51:21 AM »
riven1950

I searched for pics of your rig with no success.  Can you upload a pic of where you mounted the ducer on your boat in the installation section? 

I also have a Deep-V and mounted the ducer with no rooster tail and have no problems running wo. 

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=307;preview

If you have a transucer mounting board it will make it alot easier for mounting a spray shield if you transducer is correctly placed.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:53:22 AM by xd35 »

Offline riven1950

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 12:26:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Obviously I did not get the pics in an album as planned but if you click on image gallery and scroll to the bottom they are all showing up there ( both SI shots and installation shots ). At least they show up on my screen. They are listed under latest albums also.

I was trying to get them in the installation albums section but it didn't work for me for some reason.

Anyway, if you can't find them let me know and I will upload again. I do have a transducer board mounted.

Thanks,
Ted 

Offline xd35

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 01:00:16 PM »
Ok, now I see them.  Looks like your running the XNT 9 SI 180 T. I run a XHS 9 HDSI 180 T so maybe someone else can comment on this but it's hard to tell from the angle of photo but I am thinking you may want to raise that ducer up a tad bit.  It looks like you may be getting your rooster from the water running over the top.  Do you have the rubber plug in the mount?

Also, installing a small aluminum plate above that ducer should not be a problem since you have that transom board.  What I would use a standard small sheet of aluminum and measure width/length/depth out past the ducer for sizing. I would think a 3 inches wide x 4 inches deep would do the trick. Bend one end leaving about an inch to screw to your board just above the ducer. You can pick up small sheets of aluminum at your local Home Depot or hardware stores. I think they come in 12x24 inch sheets. I made a spray shield in about 20 minutes for my jetboat out of aluminum diamond plate.

If the rooster is not coming in the back of the boat and your not pulling skiers, I would not worry about it.  Some of these newer bassboats running those huge motors are throwing 25 yard roosters just from their props. ;D

Offline riven1950

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 03:15:47 PM »
Not sure what you mean by a rubber plug?? There was only one part left over ...a small plastic piece which I understood you only install if you want to lock down the Transducer. Since I  don't plan on locking down the transducer I did not install it.

The rooster tail is kicking up onto the motor and my concern is it will get salt water in the motor hood vent which is not good.

Guess I might try raising it a bit and see what effect that has....then consider a board as you described if needed.

Thanks and let me know what the rubber plug looks like / where it goes. Don't remember one.

Ted

Offline xd35

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 04:13:33 PM »
Disregard the plug.  I was thinking that was part of the same transducer.  I also have the same transducer as yours, but I installed a HDSI that i think comes with it. Totally different mount and transducer. :-[  No wait! I just got home and yes there was a rubber plug included in my kit.  I uploaded picture in install images for you.

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?action-media;sa=media;in=421

On the sray shield. You may want to angle the outer edge of your spray guard downward on the motor side.  About a 20 or 30 degrees angle should deflect the water down away from the motor.

You might look into this as well.

Transducer Spray Guard
http://www.floridasportsman.com/xtra/21b_master_repair.JPG

http://www.floridasportsman.com/xtra/2008_anglers_holiday_gear_gift/

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:52:01 PM by RGecy »

Offline riven1950

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 09:19:29 PM »
I do have the rubber part  ( I thought it was plastic but sure is rubber ) but did not install it. I think I read, maybe on this site, that it is used only when locking down the transducer. Don't think I want to lock mine down. Do you know if it should be installed or what purpose it serves?

Thanks for the shield info. The factory units were nice but a bit pricey! I think I will follow your suggestion and bend my own out of aluminum or SS. Will try raising the transducer a bit first. I have to go pick up a macerator pump at West marine so I'll see what they have to make a plate out of.

If you have additional info on the rubber piece please let me know. 

Offline xd35

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 10:15:48 PM »
Greg would be able to give you a tech answer on that one.  My understanding is that for locking the mount down that is what the center (screw) in the middle of the back of bracket is for.

Offline riven1950

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 07:53:24 AM »
OK, I'll start a post for that question. Thanks for all the help.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 10:39:44 AM »
That rubber part is the rooster-tail plug for the XNT transducers.  Install it and the water spray should go away.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline riven1950

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 04:51:08 PM »
Thanks great info...will give it a try
TR

Offline vahntitrio

• Unit(s): 798CSI
  • Software: 4.780
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 02:24:39 PM »
I was wondering what that little rubber piece was for. I didn't see anything in the instructions for that piece so I didn't install it. Will try installing it next weekend and see how much that helps. Maybe Humminbird should update the install directions to include that little bit of information.

Wayne P.

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 03:27:52 PM »
vahntitrio, the instructions for the rubber plug is on one of the small yellow sheets of paper titled "Humminbird Transducer Insert".
The bullitin number is 531712-1_A

Offline riven1950

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 09:15:07 PM »
the rubber  part installation instructions are covered on one of the small yellow sheets. The only thing is that the instructions do not make it clear that the part is for reducing or eliminating a rooster tail, or I would have installed it. Maybe HB could clarify that in the future.

I have gone back and installed mine now and it solved the problem with the rooster tail. Unit seems to be working pretty good. SI not a good on the left side but good on the right.

I am taking it out tomorrow for the first test run in the ocean. Looking forward to seeing how it works on the the big pond!

Many thanks for all the replies.

TR, NC Coast

Offline vahntitrio

• Unit(s): 798CSI
  • Software: 4.780
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 11:49:37 PM »
IC, reading all the instructions has never been a strong point of mine. Reading all the instructions on the white sheet was even an accomplishment for me. Haven't even cracked open the manual yet...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo