Author Topic: help with images  (Read 7835 times)

Offline Speedtroller

• Unit(s): 798ci SI
  • Software: 5.840 6.300
help with images
« on: August 11, 2012, 10:04:06 PM »
here are some shots i took today of steel ibeam bridge suports with the old cement and steel tube suports laying on the bottom next to them. on jackson lake in georgia. also there is some rip rap along the shore. i am getting some white dots in the screen beyond the shoreline and in the si shots.  settings were sensitivity 8 contrast 10 and sharpness low. i had chart speed at 3 and matched with mph as close as i could. then as you will see in the pics i bumped up the chart speed to 8 to increase the size of what i was looking at. any feedback would be greatly appreciated. i forgot my sd card so i took the pics with my phone so some have a little glare and some shadows.Any info on what I'm doing right or wrong and what i can do to get better clarity would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:17:19 PM by Speedtroller »
Fishing, a jerk on one end, waiting for a jerk on the other end !!!

Offline Speedtroller

Re: help with images
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 10:10:25 PM »
more pics

Offline Speedtroller

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 10:13:55 PM »
a few more

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »
Speedtroller....I am not an interpretation expert, but will give it a shot.  Without knowing what your current settings are, it is a little tougher.  My computer is acting up, and I was unable to enlarge your images to get a better look.

It looks to me like all your images are a too "hot"......looks like your sensitivity is too high.  This will cause thing to be more washed out. 
It also looks to me like your images are a little grainy....what are your SI enhanced settings?
There appears to be some scattered interference.  You could work on troubleshooting that thru process of elemination.  How are you wired to the battery?

I think everyone was expecting someone else to chime in.  If Greg checks in, he could probably give you a better analysis.

Have you watched Dough Varenberg's video's?  Here is a good one about tuning DI. 
Humminbird Down Imaging Settings Tips & Tricks
  ....he has a lot of very good videos if you check out his web page. 
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 10:48:36 PM »
Speedtroller
       I have viewed your post three times and still struggle to understand what I'm looking at.
       I use DI very little. SI and 2D most of the time.
       I've been by several bridge structures and have never seen anything like this.
       Bob B's link to Doug V's video offers something you may want to try. By freezing the image on the screen and adjusting
       the settings you may come to an image that is easier to understand.

Mike

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 02:49:06 AM »
Speedtrollor, Maybe backing down the settings a bit would help.

Roddy
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:51:28 AM by Roddy »
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Offline Del

• Unit(s): 1197 SI
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 05:43:35 AM »
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4493.0;attach=7046;image

To me this is the best shot ob the object. The steel-parts going up and thowing some good shaddows. That looks like something i would expect there. Everything else seems to be a bit streghted, not sure tho. Might else be build like some kind of cage. Aynways might it be true that you've been drifting a bit sideways ? I dont think those parts really go in a bow there, i would thinkt the actual object looks more like the screenshot i've linked above.

Those white dots on the land you've seen there should be indifferences caused by your engine or any electrical device. it's hard to completely eliminate them,but the noise filter can help.

Still i think this are great shots of a complicated object to go for. Not sure how many reflections those steel parts will cause and how clear the image can get.

Offline Speedtroller

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »
thanks guys your input is very helpful. i have looked some of dougs videos but i didnt see that yet. that is going to be very helpful in adjusting my screen with something to base it on.in the first 3 picks my settings were si enhanced sensitivity 8   contrast 10 and sharpness low i kept the boat between 2.6 and 3.6 mph  and the chart speed at 3.  in the other pics i had the same settings but bumped up the chart speed to 8 to try and enlarge the image a bit but it looks like it got a bit distorted. doing this was a experiment to see if it would make the object i was trying to see a little bigger. and see if i could pick out fish inbetween the steel beams. not sure what my di setting were but i know i had the beam select on wide. the bridge has 5 of these kind of pilings. i went by them at different angels and took these pics. a few may be distorted cause there was a lot of boat traffic. i tried to  keep the boat as steady as possible. i am adding a pic of the bridge to give you a better idea of what i was scanning what you cant see in the pick is that just a few feet to the left of these pilings is a cement pad that the old pilings sat on and laying next to them are the big steel tubes that held up the old bridge. they are about 6 ft in diameter.in a few of the other pics you can see bait balls aroud the bridge and some crappie that we caught. i posted these same pics on the bbcboards about 3 days ago and havent got any responces . next time i go out i will make sure i bring my sd card and see if i can get some better shots. again thanks for the help
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:16:53 PM by Speedtroller »

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 06:33:40 PM »
Speedtroller, it sound like your logic is sound as to what you are doing with the chart speed, etc.  Bridge pilings never look like you would expect when you scan them with SI.
You are on the right track with getting some recordings to play with back at home.  Since the recordings contain raw data, you can adjust the settings while playing back and learn what looks the best.  You will also find that you see things on the recordings that you didn't even notice while on the water.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo