Side Imaging Forums > 598c SI HD

DIY USB cable for 596c HD to update firmware

(1/2) > >>

User-888:
Hello everyone!

I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong or not doing on this little project.

I have a 596C HD and I am tyring to make an USB cable so I can update the unit firmware. Paying $50 to buy the AS PC3 just to update the firmware seems to me a big waste of money. I guess I'm just used to be able to update firmware easily with a supplied USB cable or port on all my other electronic gadgets.

I got this diagram from a very helpful member on this forum but so far it is not working for me.

This is what I have done:

1) I made a USB cable connecting to the com connector of my unit.
     The pinout I am using is:

2) Connected to 12V power supply to power up the unit.

3) Installed humminbirdPC on my Windows 7 (64bit) PC.

After making the connections to my PC the Humminbird PC has so far been unable to detect my 596c.

One observation that is quite strange, my PC while not detecting the 596C connecting to it's USB port, it makes the usb connect tone immediately followed by the USB disconnect tone and on the desktop an error msg will popup saying that there was an error installing driver or usb malfunction.

I have tried different sequences but so far nothing has worked.

Anyone here knows what I am doing wrong or what I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any help!

sfw1960:
My guess would be 64 bit compatibility issues.
I would suggest you download & install the XP Virtual Machine - provided you have W7Pro.
Else try a 32 bit version of XP, Vista of W7 and see if it flies.
I have a Sony DSC-P73 4 MP digiCAM that won't work on W7Prox64, but once I installed the driver in the XP VM it does now work, and I don't even have to bring the VM out of hibernation!
I also have an old Lexmark X83 that will work on the XP VM, but no drivers for W7x64.

G'Luck!

User-888:

--- Quote from: sfw1960 on April 02, 2014, 07:04:43 PM ---My guess would be 64 bit compatibility issues.
I would suggest you download & install the XP Virtual Machine - provided you have W7Pro.
Else try a 32 bit version of XP, Vista of W7 and see if it flies.
I have a Sony DSC-P73 4 MP digiCAM that won't work on W7Prox64, but once I installed the driver in the XP VM it does now work, and I don't even have to bring the VM out of hibernation!
I also have an old Lexmark X83 that will work on the XP VM, but no drivers for W7x64.

G'Luck!

--- End quote ---

Good idea!

I will give that a shot with my old laptop and report back,

Thanks!

User-888:
No go.

Same non-response on my old XP USB 2.0 machine.

sfw1960:
Next thing... on the XP box, with the Sonar powered down, boot the PC - plug the cable - then power up the FF & see if that does any good??

I am guessing you HAVE tried other ports??

BTW ~ AMD or Intel CPU/Chipset??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version