Other Humminbird Products > Accessories

Smartcraft networking with Humminbird Si units

(1/4) > >>

Rotorfixer:
Hello all,

I just wanted to post somthing on this subject. I have read in a few of the other forums that people have been saying that they could not get the NMEA out for their Humminbird units to show in their Smartcraft displays. I would have not purchased a Humminbird if I was not sure it would work, and I am sure that a few people have decided not to purchase based on these posts.

I have recently connected my 798C Si to my Smartctaft Sc1000 gaugues and will be installing a SC5000 display in the next week or so (I will let you know how that goes). I connected the Wite NMEA (+) of the Humminbird to the White NMEA wire of the Smartcraft, and the Black NMEA (-) of the Humminbird to the blue NMEA wire of the smartcraft. I set the Humminbird to output NMEA signal (in the settings menu (Advanced user)) and had to go into CAL1 and CAL2 of the smartcraft gauges to enable GPS, and the GPS screens. I was a little suprised that the smartcraft does not appear to read the depth output from the Humminbird. I guess you might need the smartcraft depth transducer for that (I will do more research).

I have enabled and have functioning the following Smartcraft screens: Course over ground, GPS speed, GPS position, Distance to waypoint, Course to wayoint and Fuel burn to waypoint.

I hope this helps some of you!
Peter.

RGecy:
Peter,

Thanks for posting that and letting us know.  As I understand it, the Smartcraft Gauges should be compatible and many people have integrated the Humminbird Units to them.  I think the majority of problems come from not turning NMEA output on or not connecting the correct wires. 

Good Luck,

Robert

Humminbird_Greg:
I had one of our Engineers contact me about a post on the Smartcraft gauges.  It seems that the gauges (and this may vary by the software version that they are using) looks for the “GP” prefix on the NMEA 0183 sentences.  Once we process the GPS data and output it from the Humminbird unit it has the “IN” prefix (this is when the depth and water temperature gets added).  So if connecting the NMEA output from the GPS Receiver’s NMEA ‘pigtail’ wire does not work (and after remembering to set the “NMEA Output” menu to the “On” setting) than you may need to use the raw NMEA 0183 output from the GPS Receiver that has the “GP” prefix on the NMEA sentences.  We recommend doing this by using one of the AS-SysLink cables:

Rotorfixer:
The Smartcraft system also pulls navigation sentences from the GPS system (I would imagine that is obviously post processing by the head unit) for distance to waypoint and course to waypoint information. So connecting it in this fashion would disable these functions would it not?

Humminbird_Greg:
You are correct.  Since this data is added post-processing it would not be present if connected in the manner  posted above.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version