Author Topic: How would I set up my 798 to where I can put it either at bow or at console?  (Read 4792 times)

Offline bwallis

• Unit(s): 798ci
Currently, my HB 798ci is mounted at console with  transducer on transom. I recently added Terrova iPilot TM with integrated US2 at bow, but haven’t started using the US2 transducer yet. What I want is to have the quick mount at the console..and add another mount at the bow and be able to place the unit at either the console or at the bow…and, from either location, be able to switch between the transducer at the bow and the SI transducer at the back.  Or could you even configure 2D to use US2 while SI used the SI transducer?  That’s doable isn’t it?   What good soul can talk me through what I need to do this?

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Hmmmm.  I would not use both at same time since they are so far apart.  You wouldnt want the SI to be coming off the rear and the 2d all the way up front. 

You would need a Unit Switch to switch between the bow and the console then come off of that with a Transducer Switch to go between the SI and the US2 transdcuers.  So with this setup, you could use either transducer at each location.

Greg is really good at drawing out these diagrams to better explain.  But I am sure you get the pciture.

Good Luck,

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline HarrisonDawgs

• Unit(s): 798ci HD
  • Software: unknown-new
  • Accessories: none yet
I'd love to have the same setup using one transducer...just 2 mounts and be able to move from console to bow and use the same transom ducer.  Looks like a y cable in reverse would do it but I don't know if one is available. Am I missing something here?

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
Here's my 2 cents:
If I was limited to one unit only, then I'd place it
in the location for the type of fishing I normally do
the most and just leave it there.

Continually unhooking and hooking up and moving a unit is a receipe
for something to go wrong (dropping it, bending/loose connectors).
Also, while on the water, moving the unit back and forth will get old real fast.

If you want to be versatile and use a bow mounted and
a transom mounted transducer, then I'd get two units
and link them together so the waypoints can be
shared.

Offline bwallis

• Unit(s): 798ci
thanks all...I've decided Geek is right and am lookin for 2nd unit!

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
Best of luck to you.

Offline HarrisonDawgs

• Unit(s): 798ci HD
  • Software: unknown-new
  • Accessories: none yet
Thanks IT,
Sounds like good advice but unfortunately I feel like I have to remove the head unit each time as my boat is in boathouse 365 and easily accessible.  I think most fisherman are honest folk but I also feel like it would be too much of a temptation to the occasional dishonest one out there.  Actually I worry that the connectors will eventually cause problems from frequent disconnections.  Also I'd be fine with buying 2 units and may eventually do so but I am still new to the unit and want to make sure it's worth the pricetag before I commit to another one.  Guess I'm going to have to try in both spots.  Frankly I'm not sure the bow mount will be all that beneficial to me as most of my fishing is slow moving in shallow water.  So far I am not convinced that I can see or identify fish well enough for it to be of real benefit.  I would guess that vertical fishing in deeper water would make the unit more useful but I just don't do much of that type of fishing.  Even the limited structure in my lake (very limited) is tough to make much of when bumping the trolling motor ever so slightly.  Changing directions with the tm makes it even more difficult to id what you see.  For now its on the console and I am burning up some gas searching for interesting features and areas.  Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo