Author Topic: 997c SI SOFTWARE UPDATE ?  (Read 16000 times)

Offline firetiger

997c SI SOFTWARE UPDATE ?
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:31:16 PM »
997c SI  Software 4.75

Should I update software?

Can I install latest version or do I have install all the updates one at a time?

Can I install with boat out of water?

Any problems that should be aware of?

TIA

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
  • Unit(s): 1199 H12G2N-HW-MSI
Re: 997c SI SOFTWARE UPDATE ?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 11:02:02 PM »
You can jump to the latest update if you wish. You should export all of your waypoints first to SD card. Reset unit to default. The update the unit. And you can update off of water.
Try to update with a SD card dedicated for updates.. something small (under 1gig)

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:00:46 AM »
Each update is a full reload of the software and does not require the previous versions.

As long as you follow the update instructions you can update on the water or at home.  The key is to restore defaults then plug the card in and once the install starts do not stop it or mess with it at all.  Be patient, sometimes it takes a little longer.  Folks have had problems when they have prematurely shut the unit down or try to abort.

I usually install the updates while the boat is in the shop, when I am not in a hurry.

As LocDown suggest use a dedicate card for updates, The smallest cheap card I found was 2 gb card and have been using it since 2009 without any problems.  The latest update should be the only one on the card. 

Offline metalman

• Unit(s): 997 SI
  • Software: 4.750
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 03:53:28 PM »
............................You should export all of your waypoints first to SD card.

How exactly does one do that and how are they reinstalled?

Thanks...W

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Goto your waypoint management menu and select all and export.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 01:24:52 PM »
If metalman is still running the 4.750 software like his profile shows than the export waypoint function will still be a separate “Export All Nav Data” menu under the Nav menu tab.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline metalman

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 06:33:48 PM »
Goto your waypoint management menu and select all and export.

Thank you.

If metalman is still running the 4.750 software like his profile shows than the export waypoint function will still be a separate “Export All Nav Data” menu under the Nav menu tab.
To be honest  Greg, I have never a need (or so I thought) to move way points hence my ignorance of the procedure. I was confused when I read LocDown's instruction to firetiger to export his way points to an SD card before updating his unit as this is something I have never done and to date my updates:- 3.940, 4.180, 4.510 & 4.750 have all been OK.

I have to confess that I am very leery about doing any further updates as I have read so much about problems following them and I am pretty worthless when it comes to computers and the like. The thought of an update leaving me with problems that are beyond my ability to even understand let alone fix is very intimidating.

So, should I have removed the way points to SD card prior to the aforementioned updates and replaced them afterwards??

Thanks...W
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:36:11 PM by metalman »

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 06:35:33 PM »
It's just a precautionary procedure.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 10:53:27 AM »
LocDown is right.  We have seen where some waypoints get corrupted and can affect the newer software in the units, so now I recommend saving and deleting the waypoints, routes and tracks (Nav Data) from your unit.  Take that Nav Data and download it to HumminbirdPC and save it.  Then upload it back to the memory card (selecting to “Replace” the information) and the program will check all of the waypoints and help filter out any corrupt data.  Load your Nav Data back into your unit and you are good to go.

It is a good idea to periodically save all of your Nav Data anyways in case something happens and you lose it all.  I’ve had this happen several times but mine was due to other people deleting the waypoints from the units I used…

Offline metalman

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 12:05:38 PM »
LocDown is right.  We have seen where some waypoints get corrupted and can affect the newer software in the units, so now I recommend saving and deleting the waypoints, routes and tracks (Nav Data) from your unit.  Take that Nav Data and download it to HumminbirdPC and save it.  Then upload it back to the memory card (selecting to “Replace” the information) and the program will check all of the waypoints and help filter out any corrupt data.  Load your Nav Data back into your unit and you are good to go.

It is a good idea to periodically save all of your Nav Data anyways in case something happens and you lose it all.  I’ve had this happen several times but mine was due to other people deleting the waypoints from the units I used…

Thanks for the information. I seem to have hijacked this thread but hopefully this exchange will be helpful to firetiger and others.
Can the Nav Data only be saved on HumminbirdPC (which I don't have as I have always used the SD card method to do updates) or can it be saved like any other data?
Are there other good reasons to have/use HumminbirdPC?
Thanks...W

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »
W,
HumminbirdPC is a free program so you should be able to get and load it onto your computer.  You can use it to add a personalized message on the start-up screen of your unit.  You can view Waypoints using Google Earth with it (you will need to have GE loaded on your computer as well) and also to import waypoints from other manufacturers and programs.

You can just save the Nav Data file itself if you want to.  You will find it in a folder named “MATRIX” on the memory card.  Be sure and save the DATA.HWR file and any *.HT files as well.

Offline metalman

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 11:37:58 AM »
W,
HumminbirdPC is a free program so you should be able to get and load it onto your computer.  You can use it to add a personalized message on the start-up screen of your unit.  You can view Waypoints using Google Earth with it (you will need to have GE loaded on your computer as well) and also to import waypoints from other manufacturers and programs.

You can just save the Nav Data file itself if you want to.  You will find it in a folder named “MATRIX” on the memory card.  Be sure and save the DATA.HWR file and any *.HT files as well.

Greg,
Thank you for the HumminbirdPC info.
Having done a bit of reading on it I see that I'm going to need cables and serial>usb converters and a power supply for the 997, so it doesn't sound like it's something I want to mess with. I'll stick with my SD card method for updates and leave the geeky stuff alone.

Thanks...W

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 11:52:57 AM »
W,
You don’t need the cables to manage waypoints to/from your 997 unit.  All you need is a memory card.  In fact all of the functions of the HumminbirdPC program can be done via a memory card.

Offline metalman

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 02:59:57 PM »
W,
You don’t need the cables to manage waypoints to/from your 997 unit.  All you need is a memory card.  In fact all of the functions of the HumminbirdPC program can be done via a memory card.

Greg,
So effectively the card becomes the "link" between HBPC and the unit as opposed to hooking the unit up with a cable???

As you may be beginning to see, I am not the sharpest knife in the box with this stuff.

Thanks...W

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »
Metalman, you have to look at these units today as computers. Because that is what they are.
I know.....it makes life difficult to have to become an IT geru just to make your fishfinder work.. ;D

Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 03:12:41 PM »
Greg,
So effectively the card becomes the "link" between HBPC and the unit as opposed to hooking the unit up with a cable???

As you may be beginning to see, I am not the sharpest knife in the box with this stuff.

Thanks...W

You got it W!
See this stuff isn’t so hard to figure out.  You just have to break it down and absorb it piece by piece.

Now, anyone want to help me figure out how to set up a computer monitor as a second display for my HD TV?  ???

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 04:54:54 PM »
You have to send it in for an upgrade which costs $1000....

chuck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo