Author Topic: autochart map problem.  (Read 5642 times)

Offline Ditchpig

• Unit(s): 999cxi hd si
  • Software: 7.020
  • Accessories: Terrova 55/US2 I-Pilot Link
autochart map problem.
« on: February 28, 2015, 04:19:46 PM »
Im having problems with the coutour lines on my autochart map, they don't seem to line up.  Any ideas on what would cause this?

Offline CamoHunter

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI, 788ci HD, 788ci HD
  • Accessories: AutoChart Pro, Terrova 80 - iPilot Link
Re: autochart map problem.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 12:18:30 PM »
Your problem comes from trying to open individual sonar files, and create a map from a single sonar file.  Then doing that again with another single sonar file. 

It looks to me like you imported one sonar data file, created a map, and clicked Lakemaster update.

Then, I'm guessing you opened another single sonar data file by itself, created a map just for that smaller area of sonar data, and clicked the lakemaster update button.  (So, it only created a map for that smaller area, not combining the two.)

What you need to do, is import all the sonar data files you want to include in your map, and make sure they appear in the 'chart file index'.  Then, click on File -> New at the top of AutoChart.

Zoom into the area you want to map, and you should see numerous green boxes around the area, which represent the different sonar files you have imported for that area. 

Then follow through the steps in my tutorial 'How to Import sonar data and Create a Map"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:19:39 PM by CamoHunter »

Offline Ditchpig

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 06:25:24 PM »
Thanks for the help CamoHunter.  I started the fix by using your tutorial "Delete map and start over" to get rid of my map.  I then imported all of my sonar recordings again using the instructions in your tutorial "How to import sonar data and create a map".  The new map turned out perfect with no contour line issues.  I do have a couple of questions for you.  First, I still have lots of the lake left to map this summer.  Do I simply import this new recording like in the tutorial or do all the previous recordings have to be imported again to make a complete map?  Second, my home lake is long and narrow and instead of trying to record the whole lake I am recording my most productive spots first.  This means that I have some mapped areas separated by fairly long stretches of unmapped water.  Can you see any problems with mapping this way?  Do the maps have to overlap or can you have small sections mapped all over the lake?  Thanks for the help.

Offline CamoHunter

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 10:35:24 AM »
Ditchpig, there are no issues with importing small portions of sonar at a time.  I do the same thing.

...I still have lots of the lake left to map this summer.  Do I simply import this new recording like in the tutorial or do all the previous recordings have to be imported again to make a complete map?
Yes, all of your previously imported recordings will remain in the AutoChart CFI (chart file index), so you do not need to re-import those sonar files.  To add new recordings, simply import your new sonar recording into AutoChart, then click "File -> New, and go through the process of using the 'Map Here', 'Create Map', and 'Lakemaster Update' tools.  Just like in the tutorial.

Second, my home lake is long and narrow and instead of trying to record the whole lake I am recording my most productive spots first.  This means that I have some mapped areas separated by fairly long stretches of unmapped water.  Can you see any problems with mapping this way?  Do the maps have to overlap or can you have small sections mapped all over the lake?
No problems with mapping the way you are.  In fact, I fish a lake in Canada for 1 week each summer.  Obviously, I only have the areas mapped, that we have spent time fishing at.  So my lake is just like you mentioned.  Small fishing areas mapped, with open areas in between. 
The only issue to be aware of with this type of situation, is changing water levels.  Depending on how much your lake level changes between sonar recordings, you'll want to keep track of water levels and keep good notes so you can make those adjustments when importing those recordings.  Other than that, it works just fine.  I attached an example of my map that is just like what you're describing for yours.  You can see my boat paths to and from the spot, and then concentrated fishing at the spot.  Your map would be similar.
ila_rendered
ila_rendered
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:03:06 AM by CamoHunter »

Offline Ditchpig

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 05:39:12 PM »
Thanks for all the advice CamoHunter.  I can't wait to get back on the water this spring and map some more of my hot spots.  There is still 36" to 40" of ice on the lake, so Im still a couple of months away from getting the boat wet.

Offline CamoHunter

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 11:10:47 AM »
Still ice fishing here too!  Getting anxious for open water, but also love ice fishing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo