Author Topic: Loose transducer. Blurry/cloudy haze screen  (Read 14730 times)

Offline Kevjohnson

• Unit(s): Humminbird 998c SI
Loose transducer. Blurry/cloudy haze screen
« on: September 29, 2012, 07:58:51 PM »
Hey there folks I recently had my new 998c SI installed and on the left screen of my side imaging there will be an occasional blur haze cloudy screen in the water column only.  The unit works great but the image interference annoys me.  I've done everything short of contacting HB but noticed today that the Transducer is kinda wobbly and loose but not to where it will fall off.  Does the Transducer need to be screwed in firmly without the wobblyness for maximum performance?  I had marine electronics install my unit too.

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
  • Unit(s): 1199 H12G2N-HW-MSI
Re: Loose transducer. Blurry/cloudy haze screen
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 08:26:15 PM »
The transducer should wobble a little bit just in case if it hits something it will flip up. As for the cloud/haze, are you driving where someone has just gone through with their boat? (might be bubbles from their prop wash)

Offline Kevjohnson

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 08:51:17 PM »
Prop wash happens but this haze will occur regardless. Even when there's no boat around me.  I've restored defaults.  Played with sensitivity and contrast along with surface clutter and the noise level.  Transducers not dirty. Played with the trim as well.  I'm puzzled on what the problem is.

Offline Kevjohnson

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 09:40:45 PM »
I came across a discussion about a software 'downgrade to upgrade ' option although I can't find it anymore.  Any helpful links and tips about that option? Kinda getting tired of idling around the lake messing with my Bird to work when I could be fishing lol

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
  • Unit(s): 1199 H12G2N-HW-MSI
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 10:03:52 PM »
What is your current software version? Have you registered on humminbird.com and checked for any updates? Also register at humminbirdselect.com to extend your warranty 1 more year.

Offline Kevjohnson

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 10:41:58 PM »
My unit is running on 6.420. I see no updates and I'm already a humminbird select member.  Unit bought last month

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:01:43 PM »
Does this only happen when the boat is moving or does it happen when sitting still as well?
Did you happen to capture a screen snapshot of this that you can post?

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Kevjohnson

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 02:15:30 PM »
This happens regardless of movement.  I don't have screen shots but I'll have to take them tomorrow and will post them up asap.  Bottom read outs are not affected by the haze only the water column on the left side

Offline jimmythegreek

• Unit(s): 998c SI, 958cHD DI, 596HD, 595cGPS, 565
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 02:26:48 PM »
I had a similar issue on both sides, it was TM interference from my terrova.  I turned up the noise filter a little and it went away

Offline Kevjohnson

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 04:21:12 PM »
Alrighty my transducer was located underneath the transom/Motor but i relocated it to the right side of the boat. I launch off the dock and immediatley start up the Bird. I also did a Restore Defaults after i launched. I noticed the haze was still there but not as prevalent as last time. I go over to a bridge to see if installation is straight by viewing the bridge from my Bird. Everything good and straight.
A pontoon boat passes me and the hazes start again. I let the pontoon be ahead of me 200 yards before i start my boat up to  follow its path. I immediatley get the haze and it doesnt clear up until over 500 yards of idling straight . Heres a pic of the haze and my new installation 

Offline Kevjohnson

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »
That looks more like some sort of interference or more likely something wrong with the left channel of the left Si sonar since it only appears in the left Si sonar.  Was there any other boats off to the left that may have been running a sonar unit as well?

Offline Kevjohnson

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »
It was just the pontoon boat was around me. I also noticed my depth would change from 80ft of water to 10ft . I would have to restart my Bird to get the right depth readings back to normal. Bird is powered by cranking battery as well

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 01:15:09 PM »
If that pontoon boat was running a Side Imaging or Down Imaging unit at the same frequency as your 998 unit it could be the cause of this.  So to could some sort of electrical interference from the main or trolling motor.  You stated that it happens regardless of whether the boat was moving or not but did not state that it happens regardless of whether anything else on the boat was running or not.  Check it with everything else on the boat turned off to make sure (with no other boats in the area).  If that does not show any results, than try testing your 998 unit on someone else’s boat that has a Humminbird Side Imaging unit (any model) and try testing their unit on your boat/transducer.  Just make sure and plug up only the power and transducer if it is one of the smaller 700 series units as some of the older 797 units could be damaged if connected to the GR50 GPS Receiver that came with your 998 unit.

Another thing to check would be the electrical connection of your 998 unit to the battery.  Make sure that there are no lose or corroded connections – even at the fuse.  All connections should be soldered and sealed.  Any added wire should be at least 16 gauge (14 would be better), depending on how much you had to extend the wires.

Offline Kevjohnson

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 05:53:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys. I have moved the transducer from beneath the transom to the right side of it. Images are way better now. Strange how just one fix can solve a problem. Will be cruising around this forum though to learn what i can about my Bird.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 04:34:35 PM »
I think the move was more of the fix than a boat near you.  Would really hate to see that boats in proximity to each other would mess up displays. Only one boat using sonar and no one else within "x" number of feet would not be nice....
Have not seen this type of interference on other devices. RF and motor noise is more of a problem. Probably most interference form the water woudl be reflections on near objects.
A while back I made a post the frequency strength be made adjustable for shallow depths or short sides..

Chuck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo