Author Topic: New 998c--- A couple of questions  (Read 9203 times)

Offline strawdg

New 998c--- A couple of questions
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:52:12 PM »
Just got my new 998 and have a couple of questions about what was in the package....

First... this is the back .......

There was only one cable collector insert and cover in the package.... shown on the right side of the image. It looks like there should have been one for the left side also, for the RS232 and Video output connections, or is that an option I need to get?

Second I was looking in the yahoo side imaging group and noticed this image of the card door for a 1197c :

Mine is like this ......

Am I missing a seal like the yellow one for the 1197c or was there a design change?

Thanks
straw

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:56:25 PM by strawdg »

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
Re: New 998c--- A couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:19:58 PM »
straw
   You don't need a collector for the left side.
   My 998 SD card cover looks like your bottom image.
   Maybe Greg will know about the yellow item.

Mike

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
  • Unit(s): 1199 H12G2N-HW-MSI
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:24:40 PM »
My 997 looks like the bottom picture also. Mine was purchased used.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 09:36:23 AM »
The memory card door seal for the 800 and 900 series units is internal.
The memory card door seal for the 1100 series units is external.

If you need the connector collector for the left side just call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks.

Also; don’t forget to register your unit on the Humminbird web site and in the Humminbird Select program.
http://www.humminbirdselect.com/
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 10:02:08 AM »
HMMMM, now I am curious.....If the card door yellow piece is not part of the 800 900 series how does the door closing place pressure on the sd card to hold it in place. Certainly not plastic to plastic.  wonder if this is some of the sd card/waypoint/ issues seen.
Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 10:21:22 AM »
Hey ya Chuck, long time no posts!

The card reader door does not hold the memory card in place.  The card readers themselves have a latch feature that does that.  That is the click that you feel/hear whenever you correctly install a memory card.

That yellow piece on the 1100 series unit card doors is a waterproof seal.  The seal for the 800 and 900 series units is built into the front housing of the unit.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 11:00:42 AM »
OK, just wondering, since on the 1197 the seal does put a little pressure on the card.  We have not had the issuses of others with the sd cards.  Wanted to make sure the yellow part was not part of pressure as well as waterproof.
It has been busy as all heck here. Some of it has to do with year end budgets that are on a calendar year..

Chuck

Offline strawdg

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 04:54:57 PM »
Thanks for all the replies..... It will be some time till I get back to my boat to install the bird so all I've got to do for now is play with the simulator... and spend time wondering about things..... ::)

Straw

Offline flatcat_auz

• ManWhore for Hire
  • Unit(s): 798CXI HD SI
  • Software: Version 6.250
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 04:04:42 AM »
I have the 'red' type and the metal pin that hold the door in place broke within 3 weeks of purchase. Will wait for fishing to slow down before I contact warranty...........
Wait...the fishing never slows down in Australia :)
ManWhore for Hire.
Affordable rates.
Sorry No Seniors Discount.

Offline strawdg

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 11:56:56 AM »
I have the 'red' type and the metal pin that hold the door in place broke within 3 weeks of purchase. Will wait for fishing to slow down before I contact warranty...........
Wait...the fishing never slows down in Australia :)

Yes.... that latch appears to be quite delicate... which explains the notes in various places about not trying to over tighten the latch.... have to use a gentle touch with that one... ::)

Also the seal on my unit is just a thin gasket that is trapped under the face plate.... not stuck down with anything. In fact when I first opened the card door on mine the gasket was not in the proper position and was partially covering the card slots. The latch had been forced through the casket leaving a puncture through it.

After examining it I noticed that the face plate was not properly snapped down in the lower right corner..... :-\ That's how I learned that the face plate could be easily removed..... Did that and slid the gasket back into the proper position and the face plate fit better.

The seal on the 1100 series looks like it might be a better design, however if it were to get out of place somewhat I would guess that it could get pinched and cause too much pressure on the latch causing it to break. :P

Considering the environment these units are meant to be used in, such as rainy days and spray coming over in rough seas, it looks like the seal around the card door and the cord collector may be weak points.

I am thinking of maybe trying to use some of the liquid rubber dip like that used for tool handles, to try and see if I can improve sealing some what..... great care will be required though.... better a somewhat loose seal than no seal caused by breaking the weak door latch.... :'(

Straw
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:02:22 PM by strawdg »

Offline flatcat_auz

• ManWhore for Hire
  • Unit(s): 798CXI HD SI
  • Software: Version 6.250
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 05:50:54 AM »
Blu-tack is working well for the moment, although it's not overly exposed to the elements.
ManWhore for Hire.
Affordable rates.
Sorry No Seniors Discount.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 05:24:36 PM »
For those who wish to add the yellow seal and for the 1197 owners wishing to replace .....How in the world do we get this part. I cant find any reference to it. As a legacy product are we going to be out of luck for this seal.
I cant see why the 1197 is any different than the other doors. It is a good seal and holds the cards well in place. I agree the door hinges are a bit weak.
Something seems to be missing here..
Chuck

Offline strawdg

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 06:28:49 PM »
For those who wish to add the yellow seal and for the 1197 owners wishing to replace .....How in the world do we get this part. I cant find any reference to it. As a legacy product are we going to be out of luck for this seal.
I cant see why the 1197 is any different than the other doors. It is a good seal and holds the cards well in place. I agree the door hinges are a bit weak.
Something seems to be missing here..
Chuck

Excellent points.....

I have never seen an 1197, but looking at the picture of its door that I pulled off of the yahoo group and comparing it to the picture of my 998 door, I do see some slight differences in the door construction besides the yellow seal.  It does depend upon the actual size of the door section that the yellow seal is mounted on.

It appears that the yellow seal just slides over a projection on the door.... if that area is the same on the doors of the other units then one would think that that seal could be added. Obviously the thickness of the yellow rubber piece would be a limiting factor, as it could put too much pressure on the weak latch on the other units.  It could be possible to maybe carefully trim down the plastic on the other doors to account for the yellow rubber thickness and have it work if needed.

This could be a mute point anyway..... It is quite possible that the sealing systems not using the yellow rubber are quite adequate and Hummingbird just made a design change.  I based my original post on the fact that the door seal on my 998 looks to be a bit cheesy and cheap, it also feels like there is no positive seal.

The 'PICTURE' of the 1197 seal 'APPEARS' to be a better design, but functionally there may be little or no difference. One would assume that considering the price of these units, and the markets they are intended for, that Humminbird has extensively tested both designs for moisture intrusion ..... :-X

One thing I do know is there is absolutely NO sealing around the cable collector area on my 998c, and all of the cable connections WILL have moisture intrusion without some additional treatment....

Straw

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:42:28 PM by strawdg »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
So I guess it’s a good thing that we have gold plating on the connectors to keep them from corroding.

Yes the memory card door seals were tested and retested.  From an operations manual:
IPX Rating . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . IP67 Waterproof/Submersible @ 1m for 30 minutes and dust tight

Offline strawdg

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 05:08:26 PM »
So I guess it’s a good thing that we have gold plating on the connectors to keep them from corroding.

Yes the memory card door seals were tested and retested.  From an operations manual:
IPX Rating . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . IP67 Waterproof/Submersible @ 1m for 30 minutes and dust tight

Thanks Greg....

I'll take your word for the IPX rating..... Don't think I'll submerse my 998c to even 1/2m for 15 minutes to test it........ at least not on purpose  :P >:D

Straw

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo