Author Topic: Thru Hull Transducer  (Read 4583 times)

Offline chadwick0139

• Unit(s): 998c SI, 788ci
Thru Hull Transducer
« on: March 13, 2014, 11:55:42 AM »
This is my first post so I'm sorry if this is the wrong board.  I have been thinking about installing a thru hull (not shoot thru) SI transducer on my Carolina Skiff.  My skiff has trim tabs that I think might be hindering my transom mount transducer performance.  I get good images for the most part while going very slow, but after 6 mph it is unreadable for the most part.  I have tried moving it in all directions and tipping it up and down with limited, if any, improvement. 

From what I have read I don't know why more people don't use the thru hull.  Is it fear of breaking it? Or does it not perform well?  Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
Re: Thru Hull Transducer
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 02:08:15 PM »
My 2 cents:
A thru-hull transducer can be extremely dangerous.  If you break that thing off, then you may lose your boat.  If the water is cold enough, you may also
lose your life.
Something like that has to be installed correctly.  There is no room for error.
It also has to be angled correctly to get the optimum performance from it.
This is best left to a professional, and it is going to cost some bucks.
I'm sure, installed correctly it would give outstanding performance, until
it hits a stump. :)

Also, ask yourself this question:What happens if my transducer goes bad, gets damaged, or I want to change my sonar completely to another brand?
It won't be a 5 minute transducer swap.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:16:39 PM by ITGEEK »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 03:48:43 PM »
chadwaick0139,
When you state: “I get good images for the most part while going very slow, but after 6 mph it is unreadable for the most part.”, are you meaning in the 2D sonar (water depth) or in the Si sonar?

Installation, cost and the fear of breaking one are some of the reasons more folks do not use a true Thru-Hull transducer but more so is that they don’t need it.  The Thru-Hull HDSi transducer we make (XPTH-9-HDSi-180-T) has a steel insert in the shaft of the transducer, so it will take quite a pounding before it gives way, but Thru-Hull transducers are not recommended for trailered boats due to the chance of damaging the transducer.  Maybe not to the point that it breaks and starts flooding your boat like ITG is concerned about but to the point that the piezo elements inside of it are damaged and it no longer works correctly.

For a boat with trim tabs that are interfering with the Si sonar, I would recommend either installing two Si transducer on the transom but on the outer sides of the trim tabs or going with the Thru-Hull HDSi transducer.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline chadwick0139

• Unit(s): 998c SI, 788ci
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 04:11:31 PM »
chadwaick0139,
When you state: “I get good images for the most part while going very slow, but after 6 mph it is unreadable for the most part.”, are you meaning in the 2D sonar (water depth) or in the Si sonar?

Installation, cost and the fear of breaking one are some of the reasons more folks do not use a true Thru-Hull transducer but more so is that they don’t need it.  The Thru-Hull HDSi transducer we make (XPTH-9-HDSi-180-T) has a steel insert in the shaft of the transducer, so it will take quite a pounding before it gives way, but Thru-Hull transducers are not recommended for trailered boats due to the chance of damaging the transducer.  Maybe not to the point that it breaks and starts flooding your boat like ITG is concerned about but to the point that the piezo elements inside of it are damaged and it no longer works correctly.

For a boat with trim tabs that are interfering with the Si sonar, I would recommend either installing two Si transducer on the transom but on the outer sides of the trim tabs or going with the Thru-Hull HDSi transducer.

I'm talking about SI.  My trim tabs are very close to the outside of the boat so I don't think using 2 will work. Thanks for the info.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:19:38 PM »
I'm just curious...are you expecting (or wanting) to get descernable SI imaging above 6mph...??

Rickie

Offline Rotus623

• Unit(s): 898c hd si, 798 hd si
  • Software: 6.49
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 12:49:02 PM »
My 2 cents:
A thru-hull transducer can be extremely dangerous.  If you break that thing off, then you may lose your boat.  If the water is cold enough, you may also
lose your life.
Something like that has to be installed correctly.  There is no room for error.
It also has to be angled correctly to get the optimum performance from it.
This is best left to a professional, and it is going to cost some bucks.
I'm sure, installed correctly it would give outstanding performance, until
it hits a stump. :)

Also, ask yourself this question:What happens if my transducer goes bad, gets damaged, or I want to change my sonar completely to another brand?
It won't be a 5 minute transducer swap.

Spoken like a true situations analyst!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo