Author Topic: Please Help Me Figure This One Out???  (Read 8222 times)

Offline lcookie

• Unit(s): 998SI/1198SI/788DI/587DI
  • Software: 6.68/6.64/6.64/6.09
  • Accessories: Ethernet, GRHA, ASGPSHS,WeatherSense
Please Help Me Figure This One Out???
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »
Can anyone help me trouble shoot this problem?  The images are from my 1198 that is attached to a terrova.  I was getting bad engine feedback to the point the screen was not viewable.  When I ran the motor on max power the noise from the motor did not show, but I still got the cloudy effects shown in these pictures.  I have run new wires from the battery to the unit, I have run a jumper wire from the trolling motor battery to the depth finder battery, I have turned the noise filters on the unit up to high 3, and I removed the transducer completely from the motor.  By removing the transducer the motor noise has been removed, but the cloudy display is still there as shown in the pictures.  It is so bad that I have given up on the 455 frequency.  I can run on 800 but that has its limitations.  Any help would be appreciated.  Additionally,  I tried this unit on the back of the boat where my 997 sits and the interference still displays on the unit.ila_renderedila_rendered

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: Please Help Me Figure This One Out???
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 05:43:48 PM »
On the first one...does not look bad for 65 feet and only .1 for speed....
The second at 3.5 and 12 feet is about right for 800..
Not real sure about this....
any one close you can swap the head unit with?

Chuck

Offline lcookie

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »
Are you saying that the cloudy stuff is normal? That has never been an issue with my equipment before. I have a 997 also and I swapped them on the water today.  I got the same interference on the 1198 at the back of the boat just like on the front.  I was so frustrated that I forgot to test the 997 on the trolling motor transducer.  Here is a picture  took before i changed to the terrova.

ila_rendered

Not sure what has happened as all I did was change from a motorguide to a minn kota.  No new wires had to be run or anything. I am at a lost.

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 08:40:54 AM »
Have you tried to lower your sensitivity?
Seems to me like if that is set a bit too high.

Another shot: Raise the noise reduction a bit more.

Let us know how it turns out.

Regards / Harry

Edit: One thing I noticed on my 981. When we have o lot of algae I run in the same problems and have the same screen appearance like you have in your first pictures. Are algae an issue at this time of the year where you're at?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:45:28 AM by Jolly Roger »
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline lcookie

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 02:40:13 PM »
I turned the noise filter up to high 3.  I have to turn the sensitivity down to 3 or 4 for it to go away.  When I do that a lot of the picture lacks detail.  Isn't that a little low?  I have my 997 at around 10-12.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 01:49:47 PM »
If it were not for the fact that your 1198 shows this but your 997 does not; than I would side with Harry and think that it was algae or some sort of material in the water or aerated water from waves or a boat passing.

Wait a minute: were all of these images taken with the trolling motor running or with the main motor running?
Does the cloudy area clear up when all motors and other electronics are turned off?

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline lcookie

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 09:14:07 PM »
@ Harry,  I don’t know about the algae around here.  However, if it was algae shouldn’t it show evenly on both sides.  Looking at my pic the right side if fuzzy thru the entire water column but the left is only half way down.  When I took the transducer off of the trolling motor and run it in my hand the cloudy image would switch from left to right as I rotated the transducer with my hand. 

@ Greg,  All of the images shown were taken on the trolling motor.  The first one was taken while adrift with the transducer attached to the trolling motor with all accessories, the main motor, and the trolling motor off.  I even unplugged the tolling motor.  The second one is running the trolling motor with the transducer in my hand hanging over the boat and all other items off.  The last one is a pic I took with the transducer on the old trolling motor with the trolling motor running.  The cloudy image was always there.  I am in the process of checking all of the wires and connections and running ground wire to tackle the known interference.  I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on the clouds since they are always there. I will be going out to do more test this weekend.  I will post my findings.  I will contact customer service but I want to exhaust all of my options prior to that. 

Thanks for all the help thus far.

Offline Jasta

• Unit(s): 797SI, 997SI,
  • Software: 4_960 & 4_950
  • Accessories: Weathersense, Interlink
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 08:01:13 PM »
What Size Terrova do you have?

I have a 797cSI on my 36v 101 max pro and I got heavy interference when the TM was running; almost like snow.  MK provided me with a ferrulite ring kit to eliminate the interference but it didn't help much.  Then they sent me a new transducer (Nickle plated) and that helped some.  Last response from Humminbird was that I need to send them another screen clip which I will do when I can get the boat on the water. 

Offline lcookie

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 11:16:42 PM »
24 volt 80 lbs is what I have.  I tried all the items on their checklist from the website so I will be calling them tomorrow.  Will keep updating the post as things progress.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 03:53:07 PM »
lcookie,
If this happens with the trolling motor off than it is not trolling motor interference.  I would see about getting your unit in and tested on the water as our inside testing may not be able to detect this cloudy display.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 06:30:44 PM »
HMMMM you are right there on the lake and have a boat.  Why not test out on the water.  Static tests do not always show the failure.
Greg, this could be a way for you to get some of the boat time others are using... ;D
Chuck

Offline lcookie

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 10:28:15 PM »
Well I called CS and was asked to send some photos for the engineers.  I sent a detailed list of all steps I have taken along with many pics.  Lets see where this goes.  In addition to the clouds I was getting the white screen when the trolling motor was on.  I knew what that was just did not know what the clouds were.  Did not bother to show those pics.

Offline Scrutch

• Mikey, my son, the Captain
  • Unit(s): 1198c si, AS 360 imaging
  • Software: 6.74
  • Accessories: AS WX1 Xm weather
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 08:21:41 AM »
What ever happened with this?  Did anyone find a solution for you?  I'm now having the exact same issues.  No (or very little) interference when TM (36v Terrova 101) is on full speed, and terrible interference when TM is on slower speeds.  It's the worst at about speed 6 or 7.  Oddly enough, the interference has never been a problem until my last outing.  I know it's TM interference because I can turn my Terrova on and off and watch the interference disappear when the TM is off. 

I have tried changing the 1197's own noise filter settings with no results.  Other than that I have no other in-line filters or wiring changes.  I understand that these issues are usually a trial and error fix.  I'm hoping to start where others have found their fix and not have to spend a lot of money and time chasing my tail. 

I'll post a pic of this ASAP...

Offline Scrutch

• Mikey, my son, the Captain
  • Unit(s): 1198c si, AS 360 imaging
  • Software: 6.74
  • Accessories: AS WX1 Xm weather
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 08:45:56 AM »
TM on....TM off...
ila_rendered

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 11:26:43 AM »
Scrutch,
Unfortunately what works for another boat may not work for your boat.  Humminbird will start by suggesting the fixes that help the most and than work down the line of fixes.  I would call them tomorrow (Mondays are their busiest day) and see what they say. 1-800-633-1468

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo