Author Topic: High Speed Transducer  (Read 24834 times)

Offline ToddB

• Unit(s): 1198c SI
High Speed Transducer
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:08:20 PM »
I have the 1198c SI and as I am idling up to just as I plane off my depth gage works, but after I am on plane traveling down the lake the depth gage no longer works.  I have been told I will need a seperate transducer ( high speed) for it to work.  Has anyone experienced this problem and if so what did you do or buy to fix it.  All help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance Todd

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: High Speed Transducer
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:32:52 AM »
Todd.  This is and and has been an issue for the HDSI transducer.
A lot of external influence can be placed on the sensitivity of the transducer and how it works.
Generally the higher speed causes turbelence from under the boat or from another piece of the boat causing bubbles. Occassionally the placement of the transducer itself will generate bubbles at speed.
Boat model or type has some part of the equation also.
If you search this forum you will find a lot of postings dealiing with this problem you are experiencing.
Most will opt to install a second transducer, (a thhru the hull) type of transducer. This will give you depth reading while on plane, of course you will not have SI.
Thru the hull can be of two types. 1) a shoot thru the hull which needs to be carefully installed so that the instllation does not generate a problem and works on a single layered non-aluminum boat or 2) drilll a hole in the boat bottom and install a true thru the hull transducer.
You can visit the HB web sit and select the transducers (select the view all tab) and scroll thru the various types.
clicking on the transducer picture will take you to a write up of the particualr one.
Do spend a few minutes on this forum using the search tab at the top and look at what others have posted on this subject.

Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 12:21:34 PM »
I have the 1198c SI and as I am idling up to just as I plane off my depth gage works, but after I am on plane traveling down the lake the depth gage no longer works.  I have been told I will need a seperate transducer ( high speed) for it to work.  Has anyone experienced this problem and if so what did you do or buy to fix it.  All help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance Todd

Most that have fiberglass hulled boats use the XP-9-20 inside-the-hull DualBeam transducer and the AS-Si-DB-Y transducer splitter cable.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »
He does have several options  so he should check the HB site for what will best suit his needs...
Chuck

Offline saugerman

• Unit(s): 1197c
  • Software: ?
  • Accessories: none
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 08:53:40 PM »

How much does the xp-9-20 transducer and the as-si-db-y transducer splitter cost?  Also is the best place to mount the side imageing transducer on the jack plate? If so do I need anything extra to mount it there?

Saugerman

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:35:40 AM »
XP 9 20 is about $75 to $100 USD.
Splitter cables can be $35 to $90...

Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 01:05:45 PM »

How much does the xp-9-20 transducer and the as-si-db-y transducer splitter cost?  Also is the best place to mount the side imageing transducer on the jack plate? If so do I need anything extra to mount it there?

Saugerman

An XP-9-20 should run you $65 or less while the AS-Si-DB-Y cable should run you $30 or less (shipping is extra).

Depending on your jackplate design, you will probably have to make or buy some type of adapter to mount the HDSi transducer to it.

Offline saugerman

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 06:59:32 PM »
  Thanks for the information,looks like I'll have to get another transducer and mount in the bottom of the boat . I already have a lowrance transducer glassed in the boat from the factory. I have a lowrance lcx 27c mounted where I plan on mounting the new humminbird.I thought about trying to move it over some where on my console and just watch it when I 'm running.I'd hoped that there was a way the humminbird would read the depth at high speeds.
 Would the lowrance transducer being mounted in the floor near the humminbird  transducer cause problems?

Doc Stressor

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 08:23:39 PM »
You can probably use your Lowrance through hull transducer with your Humminbird and sell the Lowrance. If your Lowrance transducer is one of the ones made for them by Airmar, you will be good to go.  You just need the transducer switch and the appropriate splitter cable from Humminbird and the right pigtail connector from Airmar.

I'm running a similar setup on my Grady White. I have a 997 with the XHS-9-HDSi-180-T unit mounted on the transom for low speed side imaging and an Airmar B60 through hull 20 degree tilted element for 2D. The Airmar will track bottom at 30+ mph at 200 Hz. I could never get the HDSI to track the bottom once the boat was on plane no matter how it was adjusted. Deep V hulls or hull with a lot of strakes can be a challenge for transom mounted transducers.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 01:53:08 PM »
I did not know that Airmar made any cross brand adapter cables.

Two transducers being mounted near or next to each other are not a problem as long as only one of them is being used at a time.  If both are being used at the same frequency than you can have sonar cross talk or sonar interference between the units.

Doc Stressor

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
Airmar has adapter cables for a number of different brands of fishfinders including Humminbird. They connect to the "universal" connector that you can get on most of their transducers.

Assuming that the Lowrance transducer came with their proprietary blue connectors, the cable would have to be re-wired with an Airmar universal connector and then hooked to the Humminbird adapter. Alternatively, the Humminbird adapter could be wired directly to the Lowrance cable. You would just need the wire color codes.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:25:18 PM »
Thanks Doc.  Good information.
I have the pinout and wiring colors for a Humminbird transducer connector is needed.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 03:46:13 PM »
For information purposes only:........You can use some GPS antennas cross unit.  We use a HB 16 on a lowrance for navigation purposes. Of course the wiring connectors are different but a quick solder and a whif of ozone and you are using the other guys part...
So I dont see any problems with transducers as long as you are aware of frequency....
Chuck

Offline saugerman

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 04:48:07 PM »

Doc, is there any way to find out if I have the airmar transducer,other than contacting Skeeter boats and trying to get the information from them? I haven't always had good luck getting a responce from them. The end on the transducer is blue like most lowrance transducers of that year.Is there any other way to distinquish the difference?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 11:32:49 AM »
I think that you should just be able to look at it and tell.

If this was installed by Skeeter I would think that it would not be an Airmar transducer but I could be wrong.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »
Greg,when you say look at it you can tell.  What indicator(s) will be obvious?.

Chuck

Doc Stressor

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »
Several of the Lowrance transducers are made by Airmar and they are identical to the units that Airmar sells as their own. Just different product numbers.

Can you post a picture of your transducer? Dimensions would also be helpful. I'm familiar with most Airmar transducers. I might be able to ID yours from a picture.

Skeeter boats should be able to provide you with the Lowrance product number. If you can get that, Airmar can cross reference it.

If you have a dual frequency transducer that runs at 50 Hz and 200 Hz, it's likely an Airmar. If your's runs at 192 Hz, it's not.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:06:34 PM by Doc Stressor »

Offline saugerman

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »

Doc, I would love to be able to post a picture,but my boat is at Lake Barkley . I leave it there all year. We have a place there, and we live just east of Owensboro Ky. about 130 miles away. 
Actually, I have never seen this transducer, it must be down under my oil tank,it is pretty crowded down in the back of my boat any way.
I have been using it on my lowrance 27c,it never looses the bottom,even at speeds of 70 plus miles per hour.
I will contact Skeeter boats, and see if they will tell me about it.
 Thanks soo much for your everyones help.
PS, can Lei hot spots charts be used on this humminbird? I have a feeling it is not compatable,but thought I'd ask.

Thanks again
Saugerman

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 07:19:14 PM »
Nope....LEI is for lowrance units...
I am guessing the transducer is on the transom of the boat.  I think with your Lowrance unit it is probably a 200 skimmer transducer...I never have lost bottom with a 200 skimmer..We have 4 Lowrance units....each with a 200 skimmer...
2-104's and 2-19C's......The 104 is on a Jetski...
Chuck

Doc Stressor

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »
He said that he had a transducer glassed into the hull. That could be an Airmar.

As far as I know, all of the Lowrance transom mount transducers are their own unless you special order an Airmar.

Offline saugerman

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »

I went ahead and bought a high speed transducer,and y cable to hook up to my 1197,so I could run at high speed, and still get bottom reading. When the y cable is connected the two transducers,do you have to change the settings in the unit manually every time you go from side imaging to 2d transducer, to get your high speed reading,while running?

Offline Blackwaterkatz

• Unit(s): 797c si / 998c si / 1198
  • Software: 5.450 / 5.700
  • Accessories: weathersense
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 07:36:04 AM »
No, I didn't, anyway.  When you use the Y connector, it essentially disables (bypasses) the 83/200 frequencies of the SI transducer and uses the h/s transducer for that function only.  You may have to make adjustments, but probably only the same ones you would have made prior to installing the h/s transducer.  I think water temp is also disabled.
Tommy in Lowcountry S.C.

Doc Stressor

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 07:38:21 AM »
No. The AS SIDB Y connector simply switches the 2D input and output from the side imaging transducer to the dual frequency in hull unit.

As long as the in hull unit is from Humminbird and operates at 83 and 200 Hz, the operation is transparent and doesn't require a switch or for you to manually change the transducer selection.

I have a 50/200 Hz Airmar B60 in my boat along with the stock Humminbird SI transducer. Since the Airmar works at a different frequency than the Humminbird, I need to use the G3 switch and to manually change the transducer selection every time that I switch between transducers.

Interestingly, as long as 200 Hz is selected on the head unit, the 2D reading is the same when I switch to the Airmar without changing the transducer selection. However, since I understand that the 83 Hz AC signal is being sent to the transducer even though only the 200 Hz signal is being displayed, I reset the transducer selection to 50/200 when using the Airmar. I am concerned that the 83 Hz signal might damage the 50 Hz part of the element. I don't really know if that is the case or not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo