Author Topic: Differences between SI models?  (Read 9237 times)

Offline ropesfish

Differences between SI models?
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:45:19 AM »
I have lots of questions but I think I should start here:
What are the differences, other than screen size, between the 8/9/11 series units? We are going to be using the unit mostly to survey bottom structure in less than 120' of saltwater off East Central Florida.
Second question is...what are the differences between the *98 series and the new *99 series SI units? I am sure not opposed to saving some money, but not at the expense of doing the most accurate survey possible within our budget.
Thanks in advance for any assistance! More questions will appear after I get these answered..

sebastian, fl

Offline Nitro78

• French frog
  • French frog!
  • Unit(s): Solix mega
  • Accessories: TM265 LH + 2 side imagin transdeucer an
Re: Differences between SI models?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 02:26:53 AM »
8/9/11 serie use same electronic card in( just look at diagram of electronic cards), so same perfomances, only screen larger.
98 and 99 serie, faster unit.
 For you what you want do do results will be the sames, and i think you can fine good user units! Try an 1198 for confort!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:41:45 AM by Nitro78 »

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:53:43 AM »
In addition to what Nitro mentioned...

Differences in the x8 series and x9 series units...:

All of the new x9 series units come with internal antenna, faster processor, and require the AS EC QDE adapter cable for Ethernet networking...

The 899ci HD SI Combo comes with the Compact SI xducer instead of the HDSI xducer..(but it can be upgraded thru the HB xducer exchange program...)
http://www.humminbird.com/Faq.aspx?TaxonomyId=91A1766

The 999ci HD SI Combo and the 1199ci HD SI Combo come with the same XHS 9 HDSI 180 T xducer as the previous x98 series SI units...

Rickie
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:01:35 AM by rnvinc »

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 11:44:26 PM »
ropesfish,

Are you looking for some sunken treasure? ;D  Or structure for fishing?

What's your budget?  Rule of thumb...get the biggest screen size your budget will allow!  But there is a huge difference from 8 and 900 series up to 1100 series.  The screen is drastically larger and better for finding targets, especially if you will be in deeper water.

Good Luck,

Robert
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:47:56 PM by RGecy »
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline ropesfish

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 01:37:48 PM »
Thanks for the helpful replies, folks.
I suspect that there is not enough benefit (edit: for my application)  in the new **9 series new features to make the price difference worthwhile.
I sold an older Wesmar sidescan (analog/towfish rig) last fall to finance a more easily used rig for locating bottom structure which might include things like reefs, boulders, ballast piles and other sorts of things where the "Golden Lobster"* might live. I put off buying anything as long as possible waiting for either a really good deal on a used one or a price drop on new ones. I'd like to spend $1500ish, but I see that new 1198c HDSI units are on EBay for $1200 $1500 or so, (this morning there were 2 units @ $1200-they seem to have disappeared) so I think my decision is made.
Yes, Robert...I'm the same guy on Treasure Net...we be hunting some treasure or at least doing some survey work with that in mind and I know you have lots of experience in that area so I'll ask you straight up: Do you fee that is this the best plan or would you do something different? I've seen some of your scans which made me pretty darned sure that Humminbird was better than 30 year old Wesmar for bottom scans in less than 150'...reasonable diving depths.
The boat this unit will be going on is an old 25' 1967 Stamas converted to a Volvo 70C diesel inboard. There is already a through hull Airmar 50/200 ducer installed just to the port side of the centerline that is hooked to an antiquated Lowrance GPS/FF unit.
Question--What is the best way to mount the SI transducer on a straight inboard on a planing hull? (no keel)

(Addendum)
*Golden Lobster - When I first moved to the Treasure Coast I was sitting in a local drinking establishment fairly often and heard two stories a regular used to harass non-locals: One was the hogfish joke: Tourist asks "What's a hogfish?" and da local say: "Hogfish? That's a local delicacy. Tastes like bacon" 
The other was this: Tourist- "What's on the back of that boat? Looks like big curved pipes" and da local he say: "That's a Treasure Coast lobster boat. They're looking for Golden Lobster and have to dig holes in the bottom too find it. Very expensive to look for. Worth its weight in gold". Of course the boat in question was a treasure hunter's boat with a "mailbox" propwash deflector on the back. It's still in that marina, visible from the bar. Now they call the place "Outriggers" in the Little Hollywood marina. Great conch fritters.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:25:43 AM by ropesfish »

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:41 PM »
Neat story...

I like it..!!

Rickie

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 09:56:20 AM »
"Question--What is the best way to mount the SI transducer on a straight inboard on a planing hull? (no keel)"
Do you have any pictures of the transom area of your boat that you could post?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline ropesfish

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 12:22:49 PM »
Hi Greg and thanks for the reply.
No pictures today, but we are hauling it out next week to clean/paint the bottom and do some pre-season maintenance so I'll get a picture or ten and post them shortly.
 :)
If Humminbird would like their logo prominently displayed on a treasure hunting boat surveying miles of ocean floor while working within sight of Florida beaches, with perhaps some information sharing and commercial promotion I would be interested in doing something like that in exchange for some product.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »
You would have to contact someone in the JOI Marketing department about that.

Offline ropesfish

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 12:45:34 AM »
Geez, it took me a long time to get back to here. I started fixing on the boat and just couldn't stop!
Here's a picture of the transom on the boat in question. Any ideas?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »
ropesfish,
Are you wanting 2D sonar while the boat is moving fast?
If so, any idea how much the hull lifts out of the water?

For the Si sonar you will have to either go with twin transom mounted XHS-9-HDSi-180-T transducers mounted on the outsides of the trim tabs or XPTH-9-HDSi-180-T Plastic Thru-Hull transducers under the hull.  We don’t recommend Thru-Hull transducers for trailered boats though so the transom mounted ones may be your best bet.  Either way you will need the AS-Si-LR-Y cable to connect both transducers to the unit.

For the 2D sonar: if you are wanting high-speed depth readings I would try one of the combinations listed for the Si sonar first before adding anymore transducers.  If needed you may want to look at an inside-the-hull DualBeam transducer like the XP-9-20 transducer with the AS-Si-DB-Y cable to connect it to the other transducers.

Offline ropesfish

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 11:47:52 PM »
Hi Greg and thanks for answering!
I'd like to have active Humminbird 2D sonar on plane. I already have an older mono Low///nce on an Airmar 50/200 transducer installed, but I would much rather have the color HumminBird working. The Airmar is located very close to midships and historically has no problems getting a clean signal while on plane.
This boat will be living in the water 10 or 11 months per year, so transom mounting shouldn't be a big problem. I got a really good price on the 998 since it was discontinued...looks like I will spend the $$$ saved on the 2nd transducer & Y cable.

Offline ropesfish

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 08:51:55 AM »
Thanks again for the help, guys. I installed both transducers, had to get a pair of 10' extension cables (thanks to the local Bass Pro) the Y-cable (remember to mark the port and starboard cables AND the extension cables). Works like a charm. Now I just have to learn to make some sense of it.
Thanks again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo