Author Topic: Helix 10 SI G2N with Y cable to Dual Spectrum transducer  (Read 9022 times)

Offline Steve Dormaar

• Unit(s): Helix 10 SI G2N
  • Software: 2.1
  • Accessories: 9 M SIDB Y with XNT 9 20 T transducer
Helix 10 SI G2N with Y cable to Dual Spectrum transducer
« on: December 05, 2019, 11:25:13 PM »
Good evening all.

I have a Helix 10 SI G2N (2.11 software) with a Y cable going to the XM-9-20-MSI-T and XNT-9-20-T transducers.  Also connected (but not relevant here) is a Terrova ipilot link.  The new Dual Spectrum 2D sonar has been introduced and been promoted by Humminbird and others, and is applicable to the G2N graphs with software upgrades.

It seems like a worthy upgrade, so for $100 I purchased the XNT-9-HW-T high speed transducer to swap out the XNT-9-20-T.  The y cable redirects the 2D wires from the SI transducer's 2D element to the high speed transducer, but effectively, the graph thinks that the high speed transducer is still part of the SI transducer.  So I expected that upgrading the high speed transducer to the newer Dual Spectrum would be straight forward - PNP.

I phoned Humminbird tech support over a couple of other issues, and during that conversation I was advised that connecting the new Dual Spectrum high speed transducer to the Helix through the y cable would damage the graph and would not be covered by warranty.  I could connect one or the other individually, but not both with a Y cable - she was very adamant about this.  In fact, she advised me that my account was being noted that I had been advised of this, and any warranty issues would not be covered (red flagged by Humminbird!).

I've been searching for information about this apparently risky activity, and can find nothing on either Humminbird.com, this forum, or anywhere else.  If anything, Humminbird.com information tends to support being able to do this.  For example, the installation diagrams (https://www.humminbird.com/support/installation-diagrams) suggest using the new XNT-9-HW-T with the 9-M-SIDB-Y splitter cable - there is no mention of which graph is used or any other concern.  If anything, the information for approved graphs is available elsewhere which has already approved the updated G2N graphs.

This has been pretty frustrating.  If there is a problem then the benefits are not worth the risk of wrecking the Helix 10, but it sure would be nice to find some information about this.  Anyhoo...    this is a long post so time to wind down - at least my web searching has found this place which has a wealth of information.  I'm looking for the wisdom here to help sort this out.  Any advise would be appreciated, and thanks for your help...

Steve

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: Helix 10 SI G2N with Y cable to Dual Spectrum transducer
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 12:05:40 PM »
I have not heard this info that HB gave you  ...

Let me contact someone and get back to you  ...

Rickie

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 06:29:06 PM »
So it seems the info you have received from customer service is correct  ...

Here is the answer from my contact at HB  ...

My apologies for the delay in response as I wanted to ensure that I was getting the correct information.

In general, the G3N models can use either the 9 20 or the 9 HW transducer with the y-cable in conjunction with their MSI+ transducer. This will not cause any issues but when they are using the 9 20 transducer, it may not give them the clarity they would expect with the original HW application.

With the G2N models, they will not be able to use the HW transducer via the y-cable in conjunction with the MSI transducer included. The unit is not programmed to accommodate this application so will need to continue to use only the 9 20 transducer for high speed readings. The HW can only be connected to the G2N models if they are going direct without the y-cable and is chosen as the connected transducer.

Rickie

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 12:12:02 PM »
All followers of this thread  ... please go to the link below where we crowd sourced for the needed info as pertaining to the OP above  ...

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1022195

Rickie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo