Author Topic: New Electronics rigging  (Read 3762 times)

Offline nhealy

• Unit(s): 798 ci si
  • Accessories: Weather Sense, Interlink
New Electronics rigging
« on: March 11, 2012, 04:15:53 PM »
After years of fishing from my brother's boat, last summer I joined the ranks of boat owners with a 2005 Lund 1800 Explorer SS.  It was equipped with a MK Powerdrive and 2 Lowrance graphs.

I decided to upgrade the trolling motor to an 80# Terrova with I Pilot; can't wait for day when the TM and HB to communicate with each other.

I also bought 2 798c si units this winter.  I would like to explain how I intend to rig the boat, and I am looking for corrections/improvements to my idea.  The first unit will be mounted on the console, with the transducer mounted on the transom.  I also bought the WeatherSense and an Interlink module. I am going to mount the WS to the console mounted unit, and then to the Interlink.

The second unit I want to have the ability to mount both on the bow and on the console.  I would like to mount on the console so I can use the GPS capabilites and look at the contour map (Lakemaster chip), while using the sonar on the first console unit.  When mounted on the bow, it will be connected to the SI transducer on the TM and to the Interlink module.  I have already exchanged the transom mount transducer for the TM transducer; very nice sevice touch on the part of HB. 

So a couple questions, appears that I will need a mount for the console (MS M) and a power line.  Anything else for the second console mounting?  Since I am using just the GPS feature, don't need a transducer line?  If I mark waypoints on the GPS console unit, will it sync with the Interlink and the other unit when it is connected to the Interlink at the bow?  Or will I need to connect it to the Interlink module when mounted at the console.

And finally, I think I know the answer but want to be sure, can you run 2 units off 1 transducer?  Can the 2 units on the console both share the transom mounted transducer?

Thanks for help and insight, can't wait for the water to turn soft.

Nick
A bad day fishing sure beats a great day at work....
Nick Healy

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: New Electronics rigging
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:55:54 PM »
Nick,
Are these 798c Si units or are they instead 798ci Si or 798ci HD Si units?

If they are 798c Si units they should have come with external GPS Receivers.  If this is so than you will need to provide a GPS Receiver or a connection to one while the second 798 unit is mounted at the console.  The least expensive way to do this is to purchase the AS-SysLink cable,

If they are 798ci Si models than they will have internal GPS Receivers and there is nothing else that you need to purchase (besides the MS-M unit mount and PC-11 power cable).

If they are the 798ci HD Si models than I would return the InterLink and instead purchase the needed cables to Ethernet connect them.

Before connecting the two 798 units up for the first time to the InterLink; leave the WeatherSense out of the connections until they two units are functioning with the InterLink.  Once this is working fine, add the WeatherSense to the connections.

If you mark waypoints on your console unit, they will be transferred to the second 798 unit whenever it is powered on at the bow location (assuming that is where the second InterLink connection will be).  The reverse is true as well: if you mark a Waypoint on the GPS only console mounted 798 unit: the waypoint(s) will be transferred to the first console mounted 798 unit when the second unit is powered back on at the bow position.

There is no way to connect three units or mounting locations to an InterLink module.

Before you move the second 798 unit to the console you will have to set the Sonar menu (found under the Setup menu tab) to the Off setting.  Otherwise when you power it on without a transducer connected it will, by default, go into the point of sale Simulator mode.  You will have to set the menu back whenever you move the unit back to the bow.

You can use one transducer with two units by using a US3 Unit Switch but this does not allow them both to use the same transducer at the same time.  Only one unit will be able to use the transducer at any one time.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline nhealy

• Unit(s): 798 ci si
  • Accessories: Weather Sense, Interlink
Re: New Electronics rigging
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:15:55 PM »
Thanks Greg, they are the 798ci si units with internal gps.  Glad to hear the waypoints will be shared once connected to the intelink.  Also thanks for the tip on turning off the sonar when moving from the bow.  I'm sure I would have been spending time trying to figure that one out.  Looking forward to seeing what I've been missing the last several years.
A bad day fishing sure beats a great day at work....
Nick Healy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo