Author Topic: Wanting to put a base for 798 up front  (Read 24043 times)

Offline codhunter

• Unit(s): 798ci SI COMBO
  • Software: 4.780
  • Accessories: NO OTHER
Wanting to put a base for 798 up front
« on: August 31, 2010, 08:10:29 AM »
I currently have a 798cisi installed at rear of my craft.I wish to install another base upfront without having to buy the whole unit, simply take it off one base and put it on the other.Could someone give me some advice as to whether it is possible and what is needed to do this.Do I need another transducer?

Wayne P.

Re: Wanting to put a base for 798 up front
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:44:28 AM »
I do just that with my 798ci SI. All I needed was the base, a power cord, and a transducer. If you have the 798c SI you will need another GPS antenna unless you can move the cable from the present location to the bow and back.
I recommend you get the XTM HDSI 9 180 T transducer for that application because the compact SI transducer and the SI trolling motor puck transducer ( XTM 9 SI 180 T ) will probably give you TM interference when using SI--I never could get rid of it until I got the HDSI transducer.
If you fish in waters with obstructions that may damage the transducer, I recommend the Transducer Shield and Saver as a mounting system instead of the flimzy bracket that Humminbird has.

If you get the HDSI transducer, you will already have the correct one if you decide in the future to get one of the larger screen models.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:45:57 AM by Wayne P. »

Wayne P.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:50:32 AM »
The larger one in this picture is the SI trolling motor puck that I had TM interference with. It has the same frequencies as the Compact SI transducer.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:53:28 PM »
You will need:
 * MS-M Unit Mount.
 * PC-10 Power cable (you can also use the PC-11 if you are worried about trolling motor noise).
 * A transducer: as Wayne noted (although we started copper shielding the XTM-9-Si-180-T transducers back in the fall of 2009).  Personally I like the larger HDSi transducer along with the bracket from Transducer Shield & Saver.
 * It would be best if you bought a second GR16 GPS Receiver but you could get by with using a SysLink (AS-SysLink) cable.  This will allow two units or two unit locations to use one GPS Receiver (but no data is shared between them).

Contact your local or favorite Humminbird dealer for these items or call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks at 1-800-633-1468.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline codhunter

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
A big thankyou to Wayne and Robert for your advice.I live in Australia, could you tell me where buy the transducer shield and saver.Robert, you spoke about getting a GR 16 GPS reciever,could you explain to me what data transfering you are talking about.What is the purpose of the AS-sys link cable and is it easy to fit?

Wayne, do you have the GR 16 on yours?

Offline codhunter

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 07:53:47 AM »
Sorry Greg,called you Robert, another senior moment, the tablets must not be strong enough, hahaha.

Wayne P.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 11:32:13 AM »
codhunter, Greg needs to attend a class called Reading and Comprehension 101.
You do NOT need a GPS antenna, your 798ci SI has a built-in GPS antenna. That is one of the reasons why I chose the 798ci SI so I wouldn't have to mount an antenna. No, I didn't get a GR-16 because I didn't need one and I certainly wouldn't want to downgrade the GPS performance will a lesser antenna than the built-in 50 channel GPS antenna.
You can order the Transducer Shield and Saver TM-HDsi directly from that company or from Three Rivers Marine Electronics.
You can also get the mount, power cable, and transducer from Three Rivers. I recommend the PC-11 power cable which will eliminate part of the interference solutions you go thru if you get TM interference. Also since the puck style Side Imaging TM transducer now has internal shielding (according to Greg), the least expensive set up would be the XTM 9 SI 180 T transducer. It makes a more hydrodynamic installation with fewer parts. That way you wouldn’t need the Transducer Shield and Saver or the more expensive XTM 9 HDSI 180 T transducer.  The HDSI transducer has 800 kHz capability which the 798 cannot use. 
If you might purchase a 800, 900, or 1100 series unit in the future, you may want the HDSI transducer setup.
Since you won't be adding another complete unit, you do not need anything else that Greg mentioned.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:05:21 PM by Wayne P. »

Offline codhunter

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 09:06:02 AM »
Thanks Wayne, the transducer you recommended XTM 9 SI 180T is not the puck style is it? If it is the other style, then I will need the protector right? Also,when the transducer is fitted to the trolling motor,whenever a minor or major change of direction of the motor occurs does this mess with the image on the screen?

Wayne P.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 12:30:09 PM »
Sorry for the late answer, I was fishing all day yesterday.
The XTM 9 SI 180 T is the puck style SI trolling motor transducer and if you order one, be sure to ask is it the newer model with internal shielding. It doesn't need as much protection, but there is protector that will help if you need it. I’m not sure it will fit with that transducer though depending on your motor brand and style.    http://www.transducerarmor.com

The XTM 9 HDSI 180 T is the larger transom transducer that comes with a flimsy mounting bracket for trolling motor installation. The same transducer with a transom bracket is the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T. If you are going to be bumping into stuff, yes, the Transducer Shield and Saver (TM HDsi) is a good investment.

A quick turn with the motor will do the same as a transom mount while turning the boat, but a slow turn will not skew the image much. Actually you can be sitting still and turn the motor slowly to simulate the boat moving and scan around the boat 360 degrees. It is a good way to track a school of fish from a distance or check under docks, boats, piers, etc as you are fishing. I just takes some practice to get the turn rate to match the screen scroll speed much like you have to do with SI on the transom.

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 12:04:04 AM »
The other question of what you will be using to mount the locator.  I would strongly suggest the quick release Johnny Ray mounts.  Once the connector cable is removed, it takes just a few seconds to remove the locator from the Johnny Ray base. 

http://www.johnnyraysports.com/home.html

I initially wanted to get two units but it was price prohibitive.  Moving the locator back and forth with the Johnny Ray mounts makes the whole process a minor inconvenience.  Here is a write up on how I did my setup:

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=1071

Offline codhunter

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 01:55:58 AM »
Thanks Wayne,I hope you did well fishing, a bad  fishing day is better than a good day at work. I live next to a river that has many snags and bumping into things is common practice.It also has a continual current running at about 1-2 knots, so its a battle controlling and fishing, hence the shift upfront,to be more in control.I use a Motor guide trolling motor(MM5997) and plan buying the hand remote to help achieve that, as the foot remote seems a little slow to react, is jerky, and can overact.Any further advice would be great

You suggested to buy the gear from Three Rivers Marine Electronics who have all the stuff I needed. I tried to order but on going to the last stage of ordering was told they don't post to Australia.Their pricing was good, a lot cheaper than buying in Australia, which was nearly double.The aussie dollar at the moment is very favourable and I want to take advantage of it.Love this site it gives everyone a "fair go".

Muskyhunter thank you for your suggestion,I would like to see a similar setup completed to give me a better idea of what it looks like.Do I still need to order theMS-M unit mount?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 04:47:45 AM by codhunter »

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 01:48:07 PM »
No, you would not need to purchase another MS-M mount.  The original mount will be attached to the Johnny Ray swivel top.  To move the locator, you would use the quick release from the mount base to release the swivel top , which is what the locator and MS-M mount is mounted to.  The insert the swivel top/MS-M mount/locator assembly onto the second base and plug in the connector collector.  You will want to inquire with Johnny Ray whether a second base could be purchased without the swivel top, but I can't imagine that would save any significant money.  The model you would want to buy looks like the JR-400HLP for the 798.

Do do this you would will need to purchase:

1- power cable for second location
1- connector collector for second location
1- transducer for second location
2- Johnny Ray JR-400HLP units

If you are using an external GPS antenna, you have the option to run a y-adapter for both locations to share the same antenna.  Going this route will also require an extension cable for the GPS antenna. 

The best solution would be to have a second external GPS antenna for the second location with that second antenna mounted as close vertically over the rear transducer.  Having two GPS antennas mounted in close vertical proximity over each transducer will give you more accurate results especially if later you decide to purchase a second unit and share waypoints between both units.   Sharing one GPS antenna, the distance between the two transducers and the GPS antenna accuracy, for a 20 foot boat/transducer distance and 10 foot accuracy, you can introduce a 30 foot variance when marking and coming back to waypoints.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:59:50 PM by muskyhunter »

Wayne P.

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 03:50:55 PM »
muskyhunter, the Johnny Ray mount would make the moving of the INTERNAL ANTENNA 798ci SI a lot more cumbersom than just having the extra snap in factory mount. With the factory mount, there is no need to even touch any of the cables to do the transfer. The 798 does not use a cable collector, the cables are installed in the mount itself so the mount would have to be dissembled to move it.
With the single display moving between stations, the GPS error would be the distance from the console to the transom transducer.

I agree that an added external GPS antenna mounted above the transom transducer would give a more accurate position when the INTERNAL antenna display is moved to the bow where no external is needed or wanted because the INTERNAL antenna would be very close to above the trolling motor transducer as an external antenna could be mounted.

From all your suggestions it is obvious you are not familiar with the mount system for the 700 series.

Offline codhunter

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 10:46:25 PM »
This is now becoming very confusing.Correct me if I am wrong;the 798 cisi has a built- in antenna,therefore whether I move the unit from the front to the back, the in-built antenna goes with it,therefore I don't need another antenna?With regard to the mounts, the existing mount will stay where it is, as the existing wiring would operate that mount.I would need a second mount and duplicate wiring to the new front mount.I could do this quite easily as I have a power source nearby, the trolling motor battery.

I have  new questions:The motor guide trolling motor (MM5997) I use, has a cradle in which it sits when I remove it from the water (see pictures below).This creates two problems.  1. The grab arm extends a little more than halfway over the motor and also restricts the area to which I can fit the transducer.

2.The shaft that others have connected the transducer cable too, slides through  a guide that is part of the mounting cradle therefore the cable runs free down the side of the shaft.

The length of my existing transducer is 3 3/4 inches which is ok ,the problem is the width and the transducer safety guard on the trolling motorila_renderedila_rendered [ Specified attachment is not available ]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 10:59:45 PM by codhunter »

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 12:08:55 AM »
muskyhunter, the Johnny Ray mount would make the moving of the INTERNAL ANTENNA 798ci SI a lot more cumbersom than just having the extra snap in factory mount. With the factory mount, there is no need to even touch any of the cables to do the transfer. The 798 does not use a cable collector, the cables are installed in the mount itself so the mount would have to be dissembled to move it.
With the single display moving between stations, the GPS error would be the distance from the console to the transom transducer.

I agree that an added external GPS antenna mounted above the transom transducer would give a more accurate position when the INTERNAL antenna display is moved to the bow where no external is needed or wanted because the INTERNAL antenna would be very close to above the trolling motor transducer as an external antenna could be mounted.

From all your suggestions it is obvious you are not familiar with the mount system for the 700 series.
You are right about the mount.  I assumed it was just a plastic bracket type device that provided a physical mount.  If there is integrated wiring in that mount, then my post is not valid for this application.  The mounting system is a-typical of most all other locators and the rest of the Humminbird sidescan lineup.  I was aware that the 798 was available with or without the internal antenna, so a short discussion of considerations of external antenna placement.   Sorry for the confusion this may have created. 

Offline codhunter

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 06:26:03 AM »
Jobs right Muskyhunter,we will press on to solve my problem, thanks for your input but the solution is still to come.Don't you just love the input; that is what makes this site so informative and enjoyable.

My trolling motor is removed to store after a days fishing,is it possible to disconnect from the transducer somehow without having to unsrew the assembly from the motor?Any suggestions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 07:52:34 PM by codhunter »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 04:49:06 PM »
Sorry about missing the “I” for the internal GPS – my turn for a senior moment!

I don’t know of a way to install the transducer on the trolling motor and have it removable unless you coiled the extra 20 feet of wire on the trolling motor itself and than used a 10 foot extension cable to connect it to the bow unit mount.

Ever thought about making the trolling motor Si transducer it’s own deployable system? Something like a trolling motor mount that would allow you to place it in the water and turn it in the direction you want (so you would not have to worry about the direction the trolling motor is pointing).

Wayne P.

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 06:16:50 PM »
Thanks for posting the picture of the trolling motor. That in itself presents a challenge for the transducer mounting.
If you can figure out the motor removal deal, Gregs' suggestion about using the extension cable is very good.
I suggest you get the Transducer Shield and Saver for the Compact SI tranducer. That mount will place the transducer far enough away from the motor to allow the trolling motor mount clamp to fuction if you place the transducer towards the motor nose. The transducer is smaller than the HDSI model and may fit within the distance between the motor nose and the mount clamp.
Routing the transducer cable along the motor to the shaft may present a problem that can be solved with plastic cable ties around the motor.

Offline codhunter

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 06:37:49 AM »
Thanks for your support with this.Can I reduce the length of the transducer cable,or does this effect the workings of the unit?Can the end of the cable be taken off and refitted onto the shorter cable? If I connect the trolling motor battery  to the power leads of the extra transducer will it have any affect on the screen picture of the 987ci SI.

I know that you guys have your transducer on the trolling motor when you are fishing,does the change of direction of the motor and the resultant effect  on the screen bother you at all? Maybe I am overacting on that effect and just fit the transducer on the trolling motor upfront and get on with it.What do you think?Do you know of a company that will sell the transducer,saver and cables to Australia?Thanks again.

Wayne P.

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 06:05:48 PM »
I sent a message to Transducer Shield and Saver about a supplier. I just got this return message:

"I don't have a distributor there, but I have sent product to individuals
several times.
All he needs to do is place the order online for the items that he wants.
In the comment area, ask him to write a little note giving me permission
to charge his card for the extra postage to Australia. And that's it.  A
Package to Australia could take up to 2 weeks and the postage could be
about $20.00 more.  Our shopping cart is not set up for International
charges, so this is the easiest way to handle it for now. "

Offline DaveW

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 08:15:17 AM »
Hi Codhunter  :)

I recently bought both types of mounts for the SI transducers from Transducer Shield guys. I have a 797 on my trolling motor, and will shortly have a 1197 on the dash.

Shirley from Transducer Shield and Saver made the process very easy and if you do as Wayne suggested above you won't have a problem.

Here's the one you'll need for your existing transducer:

http://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/home/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=10&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=55

I'm in Aus too (Penrith NSW) and had the delivery within a couple of weeks.

I don't have anything else to add about how to actually mount it and still be removable from the boat, but the the extension cable to effectively put a join in the transducer cable sounds like a plan.

Offline codhunter

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 07:07:08 AM »
Thanks Dave for your input it looks like I'll go with it.To the other guys who helped with the decision,I have decided to go with:
1.The trolling Motor HD SI Transducer.
2.The transducer shield and saver.
3.Power cable.
4.A 3 metre extention lead
5.Quick release mount bracket

I have chosen the HDSI after measuring the distance between the rudder  and the propeller on the trolling motor that I photographed, and it just fits,
even with the shield saver.Don't think that I will have any RF with that position,will I?

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
  • Unit(s): 999ci HD, 798ci HD, 597ci HD DI
  • Software: Latest
  • Accessories: TSW,
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 03:26:48 PM »
Codhunter,

This may be a little late, but here is a link to how I dealt with the MG Wireless Trolling Motor:  http://joefish.homestead.com/TMTDmount.html  I only use 2D on the trolling motor. 

You can't use the full distance from the rudder to the prop.   See the picture below.  You only have from the rear of the holding arm to the prop.

FWIW: I found moving the 798 back and forth cumbersom and was always worried that I would bobble it and would hit the deck or worse, over the side.  They say they float, but I don't want to test.   Also, if you are a bass fisherman and standing/sitting it is hard to read SI from that distance.  I just use my 400TX on big digits.  When on front deck, want to be fishing, not focused on ff.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:32:57 PM by FuzzyGrub »
If it bends my rod, I'm a happy fisherman.

JohnS

http://joefishin.com/

Offline codhunter

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 11:58:31 PM »
Mmm?This is starting to make me doubt about the whole idea of mounting upfront with this trolling motor.We have a lot of snags in the river I fish,so the transducer cable would be in trouble if it snagged. As you know the reaction delay time could cause some damage to the transducer and cable.

Is it time to rethink the whole concept?

1.Do I really need SI upfront
2.Do I make a portable and detachable frame of some sort to mount the transducer and cable directly onto?
3.What is the advantage of having sonar upfront, if only using it for recreational fishing.It sounds like you guys do a lot of competition fishing.

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 06:46:00 AM »
I fish mostly rivers and have not had an issue with anything catching the transducer cable.  Was out last Sunday and river was 10.5' above normal stages with lots of debris.  Hit some with trolling motor prop, but nothing caught the cable.   Some weeds get around the cable, but the prop still is the problem, even with a 3-blade ninja prop.   What type of snags are you dealing with? 

I am only a rec fisherman.  I like 2d on the trolling motor, and gps would be nice when approaching a waypoint.  My 50+ year old eyes can't make out the details on the 798 si screen from more than a few feet away.    If I see something interesting my face is usually within a foot of the console screen to examine it.   test your viewing distance on si screens at your current console to see what is good for your eyes. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:09:31 AM by FuzzyGrub »

JohnS

Offline codhunter

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 08:50:46 AM »
Fuzzygrub,most of the snags I encounter are submerged trees that has fallen from the banks of the river and are usually river redgums up to 130 ft high.They are ideal structure hangouts for Murray cod(which can grow to 5 ft),yellow belly perch, silver perch, trout cod and the dreaded european carp.

I have the same problem with the fading eyes so a bigger and/or clearer screen is important. Any suggestions what I might put upfront instead.I think you have eased my mind about the cable.If I put another unit upfront how could I share the way points rather than have different waypoints on each unit.

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 01:29:21 PM »
I won't say I have any great understanding of "downunder" fish or trees.  ;)

If you still want to see SI on the bow, the larger screen the better.  For my eyes, that would be a 1100 series, but pocketbook has a big issue with that.

The B&W 400TX does enough for finding the edge of structure and general depth.  It is an old unit with low resolution and no gps capability.  GPS waypoints are more critical on open water or where you do not have enough near shore stucture to visualize where the spot you want to cast to, is.
Most of my fishing is on small water and near visable markers.

I have been looking at 788ci for a replacement, but will also consider the new 500 series with square 640x640 screens.  I don't think I need two SD slots, because a map card depth map would also be hard to read from standing position.  The 798 color screen seems bright enough for the 2D display, except when it angled into direct sun reflection. 

I haven't had the equipment to be swap waypoints from unit to unit, but suspect a SD card is the easist way to go. 

JohnS

Wayne P.

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 01:39:26 PM »
codhunter, if you are concerned with the transducer cable on the trolling motor, just run the cable up the shaft on the same side as the propeller. Where the cable goes around the motor from the transducer to the shaft, use a cable saver like the prototype I made.

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 07:33:17 PM »
Wayne,

That looks very protective, and appears to be mounted on a cable steer type trolling motor.  On the motorized, power turn type, like this Motorguide Wireless, you can not attach anything to the motor shaft from the motor all the way to the height stop.    It would prevent the shaft from sliding down through the turn motor on deployment.   The height stop fits into a slot on the turn motor drive to accomplish the power turning.    You are forced into having a long section of transducer cable unsupported or attached to anything. 

JohnS

Wayne P.

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 08:01:55 PM »
Fuzzygrub, you have my sympathy with that type of motor.  I wouldn't want a loose transducer cable set-up; that is a damage issue waiting to happen. Yes, my motor is a cable steer foot control.

Offline codhunter

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 06:14:50 AM »
Let's look at this a different way.If I find a way of attaching the transducer to it's own removeable system near the MG trolling motor,would the TM interfere with the results?Where would the TM be located not to interefere?I like the idea of being able to track were the schooling fish have gone buy using SI.

Wayne P.

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 06:40:53 AM »
When I was dealing with RF TM interference with no success (fixed now), I mounted my transducer on an aluminum strap and slid it under the TM mount with the transducer hanging over the side so it would be below the water surface and just aft of the trolling motor. That worked very well for the period I used it.
The aluminum strap is the same material that I made the cable saver from.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 09:52:54 AM »
Codhunter it would all depend on how the interference is getting from the trolling motor and into the Si unit.  If it is through direct radiation from the trolling motor than placing the transducer, the unit and all it’s wiring farther away from the trolling motor and its wiring would work.  How far away depends on how strong of an RF signal the trolling motor is producing.  If the RF interference is getting in through the wiring than you have to somehow choke this out and the distance doesn’t help nearly as much.

Offline sixwarden9

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »
(although we started copper shielding the XTM-9-Si-180-T transducers back in the fall of 2009). 

I just bought a 798 to compliment the 997 I have at the console, I was going to ship the Compact SI transducer and exchange it for the XTM-9-Si-180-T, but I bought a Wee Vee transducer protector for my trolling motor and I am thinking that I should just keep the Compact SI. 

My Questions:

Is the Compact SI copper shielded as well or should I get the trolling motor transducer?

The Wee Vee guard I bought covers about a 1/4 inch of the bottom front of the transducer, is this going to be problem.  The do sell a guard a guard made for SI tranducers I can buy.

My main concern is trolling motor interfence.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 08:13:19 AM by sixwarden9 »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2010, 03:53:51 PM »
No the XNT-9-Si-180-T Compact Side Imaging transducers are not copper coated.  Unfortunately you will know whether you need the copper coating until after you install the transducer on your trolling motor and use it.  I have even heard where some had no problems for XX months and all of a sudden started having problems (something changed in their trolling motor).

That 1/4 inch coverage of the Compact Side Imaging transducer will not affect its ability to work.  There are other companies that also make guards and adapters for our transducers (Transducer Shield & Saver, Raptor).

The Trolling Motor mounted XTM-9-Si-180-T transducer is better at protecting from trolling motor interference but like I stated before: you will know that you need it until after you install the transducer.  If you are concerned about trolling motor interference than I suggest that you make the transducer exchange.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo