Author Topic: Questions on Navionics Map Software with Onix  (Read 4915 times)

Offline snooktarpon

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI, 899ci HD SI
  • Accessories: AS-ETH-5PXG
Questions on Navionics Map Software with Onix
« on: February 15, 2015, 04:48:36 PM »
I don't have an Onix yet but plan to get one in the future. I have a 598HD SI. I need to get map software for Wisconsin for my 598 but I want it to work in the Onix when I upgrade. The map in particular that I need is a chain of 4 lakes. From the lake listings, it seems that Lakemaster only has 3 of the 4 lakes (which is strange that it doesn't have them all) and Navionics has all 4. So I'll probably go forward with the Navionics.

FYI, I currently have the Navionics Premium for Midwest/East so I'm only family with this product.

Here are my questions pertaining to the Onix and Navonics:
- How does Navionics work (in general) with the Onix?
- For Navionics, there are Premium and Platinum products (platinum provides satellite overlays and 3D views). Does anyone recommend the Premium product ($50 more)?
- With iPilot Link, can I hold contours with the Onix and Navionics (and a iPilot Link trolling motor)?
- Are there advantages of using Lakemaster over Navionics?
- Any other comments?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:51:05 PM by snooktarpon »

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
Re: Questions on Navionics Map Software with Onix
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 07:56:34 PM »
I don't have an Onix yet but plan to get one in the future. I have a 598HD SI. I need to get map software for Wisconsin for my 598 but I want it to work in the Onix when I upgrade. The map in particular that I need is a chain of 4 lakes. From the lake listings, it seems that Lakemaster only has 3 of the 4 lakes (which is strange that it doesn't have them all) and Navionics has all 4. So I'll probably go forward with the Navionics.

FYI, I currently have the Navionics Premium for Midwest/East so I'm only family with this product.

Here are my questions pertaining to the Onix and Navonics:
- How does Navionics work (in general) with the Onix?
In general.....it should work the same as it does on other HB units.

-For Navionics, there are Premium and Platinum products (platinum provides satellite overlays and 3D views). Does anyone recommend the Premium product ($50 more)?
I think the Platinum is the most expensive ..... Most poeple I know don't think the 3D is worth the additional cost..

- With iPilot Link, can I hold contours with the Onix and Navionics (and a iPilot Link trolling motor)?
  You can not do follow the contour with a Navionics chip.  You would have to have a Lakemaster chip that supports that option.

- Are there advantages of using Lakemaster over Navionics?

Lakemaster has water level offset as well as the follow the contour feature mentioned above.
- Any other comments?

Well, I tried to edit in with different colors, but screwed it up....hope you can see my suggestions
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 08:08:50 PM by Bob B »
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline snooktarpon

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI, 899ci HD SI
  • Accessories: AS-ETH-5PXG
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:06:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I want to follow contours so it looks like I'm going to go with Lakemaster.

Offline brisner

• BER Custom Lure Painting
  • Unit(s): Onix 10 ci SI, 1158 DI HD
  • Software: 2.0, 7.530
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 11:48:46 AM »
I would suggest the the Navonics Premium version as I have an Onix unit and have both the Premium and the Platinum versions of the maps. There is not Onix is that the 2.0 version software has issues. I had down Image with my Onix before I did the update to 2.0 but lost it after I did the install. I had to send it back to Humminbird at my expense for a problem that was their fault with the software. I have it back but have now been able to take my boat to the water to check and see if everything okay now.

I also have a good friend that has two Onix units both Onixs 10 SI's like mine and after the update he has issues with one of them. He also had to pay to ship it back to HB for repairs. He received the unit back from HB that said it was software issue but the unit is doing the exact same thing. Once he got it back he Etherneted the two units now both are screwed up and he has been dealing with HB and seems to be getting the round around with them! If you pay over $3000 in my case and over $6000 for my friends units, then HB should at least pick-up the shipping charges both ways! Still on-going with HB on his.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo