Author Topic: 999 Transducer Install on a 1978 Skeeter  (Read 5731 times)

BrazosRiverTom

999 Transducer Install on a 1978 Skeeter
« on: March 08, 2015, 11:41:37 AM »
Two questions concerning this and I hope the pics show up: 1) Is the transducer to low? I had it about 1/2 inch higher and the SI pics were great but no depth reading at speed. the installation instructions say you can lower/angle the transducer.  2) the transom is no good in parts of it. It is still strong enough for the 70HP motor. However, when I drilled the holes for the transducer mount the drill bit went right thru it. No wood just fiberglass in that area, maybe a little be more than 1/8 inch thick, I got the three screws to snug up tight, then I glooped the heck out of it outside and inside where the screws came threw between the drain plug and the live well intake.  Should I be worried other than it does make the transducer more available to hazards in the water.

BrazosRiverTom

Re: 999 Transducer Install on a 1978 Skeeter
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 06:11:39 PM »
Well I went ahead and took it to the lake today.  Of course the wind came up just as I started getting my boat ready, temp in low 50's, and I forgot my jackets I set out to take. So I only stayed about 1 and 1/2 hours. The good news is, I now have depth readings at 31.7 mph.  The bad news is there is a leak coming from behind all the marine silicon I put inside the boat where I filled in the old holes and put the screws in a new position.  I think I can live with it as after 1 1/2 hours there was not enough water for the bilge pump to pump out and the bilge pump is in a low area right in front of where I mounted the bracket and noticed it dripping threw.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:03:05 PM »
BRT that transducer looks angled down more than it should be but that may be how far it has to be angled down to work on your boat.

I would be very concerned if there was no wood or other material in the transom when I drilled through!  Any leak, even a slow one, will expose the inside wood of the transom/hull and weaken it over time as the wood rots.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

BrazosRiverTom

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
Greg I went ahead and angled the transducer up to a more level position, if it does not show depth at speed I can always angle it back down. But since I lowered the whole transducer it may work will give it a shot and let you know.

Where I drilled the holes between the drain plug and the intake for the livewell, it is only fiberglass, not double hulled. Just single in that area, there is a square piece of wood about 2 inches square, that is fiberglass over on the inside. The drain plug goes threw the middle of that little piece of wood. My screw holes are between the two. So if it is only dripping I think I will be okay. Will keep a watch on it.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 04:05:20 PM »
I gotcha now BRT.  I would go back and back your transducer screws with a piece of wood or something as well.

BrazosRiverTom

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 08:57:56 PM »
Well I went to the lake today, and the transducer worked great, I did have a bit of problem getting the unit to work, I think it was because when I pressed the power button I did it real quick , did not hold the button long enough.  The unit powered up, then did nothing but give me the mean looking bird.  So I unplugged it and restarted it , this time it started up but was missing over half the views, no sonar, etc. So I did the factory reset and after that it worked fine.
I did hit the transducer with a tree limb by the boat doc, and it did what is was suppose to flipped up out of the way. I was surprised and pleased as I cannot get it to pop up by hand, but then again I don't put a lot of pressure on it.

The leak I had was gone, it did not leak today.  So all in all it was a pleasant day on the lake.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 10:08:44 AM »
BRT,
I would check the electrical connections between your unit and the battery it is powered off of.  No loose or corroded connections even on the fuse, fuse holder and battery contacts.  This partial start up you experienced is also a sign of a low power issue.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:33:58 PM by Humminbird_Greg »

BrazosRiverTom

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 10:26:15 AM »
Thanks. I will check on that and keep and out if it happens again. Appreciate the advise.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo