Author Topic: 999ci HD Shuts Down Immediately after start-up  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Hjalmar

• Unit(s): 999ci
  • Software: 7.650
  • Accessories: Terrova I-Pilot Link
999ci HD Shuts Down Immediately after start-up
« on: September 13, 2015, 01:32:07 PM »
 Have two HB 999i HD units and both of them shut down immediately after pressing the right arrow key on Normal. I sent one of the units back to HB on 7/28/15 for this same issue.  It was fixed and returned to me. now two months later it is doing the exact same thing and the unit that was not doing it has now started.

Have had nothing but trouble with the software in these units and the Minnkota Terrova since it was purchased in December of last year. Can i get my money back or trade for different units?

Online rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: 999ci HD Shuts Down Immediately after start-up
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 02:31:40 PM »
I'm going to assume you have already confirmed you have a clean and ample power supply ...Low or dirty power supply is probably the number 1 cause of anomalies we see in all the forums ...
-----
-----

Try the following ...(with the xducer attached) ...:

Power on the unit and let it self boot to the Nav disclaimer screen ...
Then press Exit to see if the unit will finish booting into Normal operation ...

If the unit will boot this far ...try the following ...:

*Make "Hidden" the Bird's Eye View under the Views tab ...
*Clear "Current Track" under the Nav tab ... 
*Remove any SD Card including map card ...
*Restore Defaults ...
*Test ...

If this fixes the issue try reinserting the SD Card or map card and test again ...

We've seen some weird stuff with the "Bird's Eye View" Visible and the Current Track plot memory full ...

If you can get the unit running ...it would be a good idea to try to Export all your Nav data to a blank SD Card, verify those waypoints in HBPC for valid waypoints (no weird dates or lat/lon), reload the Nav data to a formatted SD Card, Format Nav directories under the Setup tab in the head unit, and reload the clean waypoints from the SD Card ...

1 corrupt waypoint can create havoc in the unit operation ...
-----
-----

If the unit will not allow any of the above and still shuts itself off ...there's not much else I know of except to call HB CRC 1-800-633-1468

Rickie
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 02:50:56 PM by rnvinc »

Offline nicknight

• Unit(s): 798 CX si
  • Software: 5.something
  • Accessories: none
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 08:04:03 PM »
Let's start this off with the first logical question.
What did the repair place say was the problem with the first unit?

Offline Hjalmar

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 09:44:34 PM »
The initial repair was only described to me as a problem with the updated software between the Terrova I-pilot and the new version 7.650 software. That's it?...

I have had one problem after another with this system. I have verified my electrical supply 100 times. My initial problems were with the Minnkota head on the trolling motor. Spent 3 weeks trying to fix it. Since it was fixed to working order, I have had numerous other issues related to programming.

I am computer savvy. This product hit the market before it was ready. This product did not work from the date of purchase. With as many problems as I have experienced in the initial 9 months of ownership, I shutter to think of the expense I will incur after the warranty period expires. This is a goose-egg, lemon, pig, etc. a product should not be so labor and software intensive to operate as soon as you get it.

I will try your suggested corrective measures but why should it be this difficult?

H.B.

Offline Hjalmar

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 10:04:21 PM »
I was able to get the units to go into System Status. After I turned them off and rebooted them they were able to start correctly. Do not know why it worked?.....

They seem to be fine now. Have disabled Birds Eye View and done what you suggested. When we are required to upload new software we are instructed to Restore Defaults. Does this not reactivate  Birds Eye View?

I also had to deactivate several of the settings to make the two units link correctly. Share waypoints duplicates everything if the units are linked. It was explained to me that this was a necessary command for the Onix system but can be a bug for for 999.

This whole system needs to be more user friendly and should taylor the software for the unit purchased.

HB

Offline nicknight

• Unit(s): 798 CX si
  • Software: 5.something
  • Accessories: none
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 08:18:05 AM »
Hi Hjalmar,

Yes, Birdseye view will reactivate.  If this is a software problem hopefully the workaround will work for you.  Humminbird would likely have this item documented if it actually is an issue but only calling them will give you that answer.

If I was to assume that this is not a The only thing that comes to my mind is bad power to the units.
I don't know how the trolling motor hooks to the unit but that can be an issue as well.
I know you said you checked the power many times but you didn't say how you did this, a volt, ohm or amp meter is not going to do it.  Running the units on a different battery that is isolated from anything else on the boat likely means good power.

It just does not make sense that a one unit would be fine for a while and then suddenly stop working well.
What is sharing the battery for the fishfinders?  It is also possible that how you think you are supposed to run wire in a boat is incorrect.  The iboats forum guys can help with that if that is the case.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:21:20 AM by nicknight »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo