Author Topic: Potential solution to Waypoint corruption which has caused update unit lockups  (Read 5553 times)

Offline bobby

• Unit(s): 1198 c Si & 997 c Si & X-17 LM
  • Software: 5.2
  • Accessories: weather sense, XM, live well water temp
Corrupt waypoints stored on NAVIONICS Chips, I know the unit shouldn't save to a Chart chip, but it happens and when it does the sync with an interlink along with the new waypoint software seems to be causing a problem.  Put your chip in the computer, look for a file called MATRIX and delete the folder, this according to Navionics support.  The rest of the story... I had several posts over the past month regarding problems with both my 997 and 1198 units going into a loading loop without being able to boot.  The problem surfaced after updating to the most recent software updates.  I was emphatic in my discussions with HB that I followed the update protocols and in fact used the units several times without an issue so the problem was not caused by improper software updating. Both units individually had to be taken back to a previous version just to get them to work again.  As it happened, they both eventually locked up and back to HB they went as well as the interlink.  They were both returned, and although HB lost the interlink, they replaced it free of charge with a brand new one that came with all the cables, sweet.  So all back up on line and as I did before I cleaned up any duplicate waypoints and checked for and deleted any that did not have a valid coordinate or had a weird name... sort of looks like Greek symbols.  Next thing I know I've got more corrupt waypoints, and where did they come from... I had inserted a NAVIONICS chip and as it loads I see it says, " Loading 0 tracks and 233 waypoints". Wait a minute these chips should have waypoints on them?  Turns out, my unit was saving and using waypoints from a NAVIONICs Chip and that’s why I never saw them when I cleaned up my units hard drive and the SD.  It is also why the units booted fine and then later on had a p[problem, the problem surfaced when I put my chart chip in to go fishing.  My suggestion; take a look at your chips and make sure you are not loading waypoints and tracks onto the chart chip, you should be saving to the unit hard drive, interlink or using a blank SD for saving and managing tracks and waypoints and snapshots... just my thoughts.

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
  • Unit(s): 1199 H12G2N-HW-MSI
I always leave my map cards in readonly mode. There should be a lock switch on the side of the SD card to do that.

Offline bobby

I understand, good precaution, from my understanding the unit shouldn't save to a NAVIONICS chip.

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
That is bizzarre.
I know that the software can determine what slot the map card is in
automatically.
There should be some safeguards in the software that would never
allow writing to a map card.
Also, from what I've read about Navionics safe guards:
The whole map card can be wiped out if there is a detection that
the card is being copied.  I can emagine that writing to a map card can
cause very bad things to happen.

Offline bobby

When I talked with NAVIOICS customer support they were somewhat perplexed that the unit selected the map card to save to and asked if I had selected an option in the unit to save to the card. Talking with HB they didn't think there was an option to save to the card and also found it interesting that the unit looked at the card as it would an empty SD card for waypoint and track retrieval and storage.  As the previous post stated, the chart SD card does have a lock slide and I will keep it locked but I'm not sure why things went the way it did.   All that said, , bottom line, the corrupted waypoints that caused the crash were saved to the SD chart card and have since been deleted.  I will be checking the rest of my SD chart cards for waypoints stored as well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo