Author Topic: SI interference kit help  (Read 9878 times)

Offline Spnb8

• Unit(s): 998c SI & 798ci SI
  • Software: 5.210;5.210
  • Accessories: Interlink; extra t-ducer for 998
SI interference kit help
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:13:53 PM »
Attempting to install the trolling motor interference kit to my 998 and 798 units. Per the instructions I'm supposed to wrap the Interlink and/or Universal Sonar 2 (I presume that's the new transducer that came with the kit) cables through each of the three ferrite rings provided. Here's the problem: instructions say wrap the cable through at least six or seven wraps. The size of the transducer connector head only allow it to go through the ring four times. Does this matter or am I wrong to try and wrap the t-ducer cable through the ferrite ring? Also, since I already have an XHS-9-HDSI-180T transducer attached to my t-motor, do I need to use the new one?
The interlink cable is connected to the 798 unit via a short connecting cable that has on it a 2 1/2 device that looks like a big choke (that is "big" compared to the power cable chockes). That section of cable is too short to be wrapped through the ferrite ring. Should I then separate the cables at the connection, wrap the Interlink long cable through the ring and then reconnect the two cables?
The kit also came with two power cables with chockes. My power cables already have chockes. Do I just keep these as spares?
Any guidance deeply appreciated.

Wayne P.

Re: SI interference kit help
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 06:40:47 PM »
No, you do not need to change the HDSI transducer on the trolling motor, you alread have the best there is. You have a spare now.
You now have two extra power cables to use with your Radio Shack power supply.
You do not have the Universal Sonar 2 motor so that does not apply.
From what I can gather from several sources, a choke is not applied to a transducer cable. The ferrite rings should go on the interlink cables and that BIG one goes on the trolling motor power cord at the pedal.

Have you put the proto-type cable saver on yet?
Have you gotten the ground strap installed yet?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:18:24 PM by Wayne P. »

Offline Spnb8

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 09:56:34 PM »
The cable saver is on and looks and functions great. I'll send you a picture tomorrow.
My trolling motor guy said to try the H'bird fixes first before he tears into the motor to install a ground strap.
The big choke is not on the transducer cable. It's on the short cable between the Interlink cable and the 798 head. See picture. Do I separate the two cables at the connector; wrap the Interlink cable through the ferrite ring  and then reconnect the two cables?
Unless advised otherwise I'll remve the ferrite ring from the t-motor cable.
The big choke for the t-motor looks like a piece of cake. I'll save that until I finish the Interlink cables.ila_rendered

Wayne P.

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 10:31:20 AM »
Put a ferrite ring on the long Interlink cable to the 798 near the new Interlink choke wire or at the Interlink box. Then put another ferrite ring on the Interlink wire that goes to the 998 where it plugs into the Interlink box  (good luck getting to it and seeing what you are doing, LOL)

Before you put the bow panel back together, connect a 5'-6' piece of 18 guage wire (black color insulation preferred) to the negative of the 798 power cable where it connects to the boat wiring harness. Just leave it coiled on the deck in case you need it later. I'll explain what that is all about if you still have some interference after the ferrite and choke installations.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 12:06:19 PM »
That InterLink cable with the big choke looking device made into it is a choke.  It is a ferrite coil that was made into that cable.  At some point (last year I think) we started adding these to the InterLink kits we sell.  So you do not need to add a ferrite ring to this cable.  There should have been two of these choke cables that came with the InterLink so you can just find the second one and plug it in between the long InterLink connection cable and the unit it connects to instead of installing a ferrite ring on that cable too.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Spnb8

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 11:42:42 AM »
Thank you for the responses.

Greg:  in the meantime I have installed the ferrite ring on the Interlink cable (in addition to the choke already there).  Is this OK?  Will it help?  Doesn't matter?  Or should I remove it.   :-\

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 06:26:54 PM »
I don't know for sure.  I would try it since you already have them on.
Any RF Engineers out there want to jump on this question and answer it?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo