Author Topic: Transducer issues?  (Read 6493 times)

Offline koz54

• Unit(s): 898c SI
Transducer issues?
« on: May 18, 2012, 02:23:16 PM »
I made my second trip with the new unit yesterday evening. I started using the down imaging and side imaging and was to put it mildly, amazed! This is one sweet unit. 

My issue is with the transducer (mounting location)  I think.  The first time I used it it lost bottom signal at speeds over 35 MPH. That is completely understandable and expected.  On the way back into the marina in a 5 MPH zone it was reading (digital readout) 20'-23' when I know the depth was 5' to 8'. I was not concerned because I figured there was some cavitation due to the current. It was the 'super moon' tide a couple of weeks ago and the current was ripping out much faster than normal. I was also coming in close to dead low. My estimate the current was be 6+ knots and the boat was up in the bow. (normal for this tidal marsh area)

Yesterday evening everything worked great, took some amazing images (I loaded one on the site and will play with some more) and it was real flat out there. My depth reading was accurate even at speeds over 40 MPH. On the way back in the tide was incoming and light. In the same area of the channel the digital readout was once again reading 20'-23'? The contour graph was reading correct at about 7'-9' deep. (I did not make note if the graph read correctly the 1st time out)

The only thing I did (both times) was adjust the surface clutter setting. There is a lot of surface clutter in the area and that too is normal. Once I made the turn to head back into the marina (cross current then almost no current) the digital display read accurately. 

Is this a 'normal' occurrence or would remounting the transducer help. I wish I took a picture of how I mounted it but unfortunately I did not.  This unit replaced a Humminbird Matrix 3D that while that too lost depth at high speed, this reading in the channel never happened. It always read accurately there.  I basically mounted the new transducer in the same spot the old one was in.

I'm going out this evening to search out more bunker pods (I found several yesterday) snag a few and then try for some striped bass.  I was flat out speechless when I saw the images of the bunker pods on the display.  Most all the pods had nothing working them, but one had a nice showing of something harassing them from underneath.  Too early for a bluefish that size, must have been bass  8)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:26:09 PM by koz54 »

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
Re: Transducer issues?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 02:46:53 PM »
Those are some amazing pictures you have there.
Moving the transducer could jeopardize the quality of your current SI scan.
If you do move it, I'd do it in small increments.

Are you sure you don't have any interference issues?
Interference can play havoc with the depth readings.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:48:31 PM by ITGEEK »

Offline koz54

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 03:57:55 PM »
I am not sure if it is interference or not. Odd that it happened in the same area on two occasions with the tide going in different directions.  My VHF antenna is mounted not in accordance with the manual, but on a 21' cuddy with a 6' antenna I didn't have much of a choice.  My outside 'guess' at this moment it could be something interfering from shore in that location. I don't know if that makes any sense. There are a few really nice homes (mansions) very close by. I know of one (happens to be about 200-300 yards from this spot) that has all kinds of funky electronic gadgets. The guy even has a telescope with a retractile roof. 

I am VERY hesitant to move the transducer after seeing what it can do where it is. I have an outboard and I have read about the blocking one side issues, but I am mostly good in that regard.

My plan is to head out tonight, and tomorrow fishing. I am curious to see if it is limited to that area only. I could be completely off base though.

Offline inshorecatch

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 05:54:39 PM »
I often have the same issue with depth in shallow water but I know where I am. Heres a rock pile is 20' of water. You can see where the left side cuts off
Born Southern Fish by the Grace of God

Offline Patty

• Software: 6.4??
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
mind does that often... usually when the nose is high and between 5 and 8 mph.... sometimes at speeds below one mph it does it too... just the display readout tho... he I look at either the graph or side imaging I can see what depth i'm in... I also find places where it constantly screws with my readings time and time again.... I believe it is high mineral concentrations in the shield rock up here'... I could be very wrong about this tho its just how I justify it....

Offline inshorecatch

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 05:59:13 PM »
My problem with getting a second transducer and a y cable is this, If the left side is prone to go out then putting on another transducer to do just the left side and it goes out as well then I have two transducers that only shot to the right. My transducer has problems in shallow water as well has nothing to do with current.
Born Southern Fish by the Grace of God

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 10:34:35 PM »
KOZ54, What is your home port?

Roddy
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Offline koz54

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 09:32:23 PM »
KOZ54, What is your home port?

Roddy

Sorry for the late reply. It was a busy weekend (killer fishing a couple of days) My home port is Smithtown Bay, Long Island, New York.

The issue has nothing to do with outside interference as the few times I went out since it is intermittent. As long as I keep my eye on the graph all is good. It is a narrow, winding channel that can get dicey in low water.

I was thinking of getting the high speed transducer but will probably wait on that. 

The unit has been very impressive so far.

Thanks for the replies.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo