Author Topic: 898c Flaking Out - Help  (Read 2429 times)

Offline msrussel

• Unit(s): 898c HD SI Combo
898c Flaking Out - Help
« on: August 31, 2013, 08:06:08 AM »
I'm having significant issues with my 898 unit. About a month ago, it started getting stuck in one zoom level in the chart view. Zoom In and Zoom Out then doesn't work, they beep but don't zoom at all. I also cannot push the View button - when I do, the unit reboots. I can push the Exit button to go back through the displays, but not View. Also once it enters this mode, I cannot record the session.

Has anyone seen this? I am able to clear the problem out if I reload back to the older software, then reload the new software on the unit, but that's a real pain.

I called Humminbird and they said for me to send the unit in - I just hate to be without it for a couple weeks at this time of year (prime fishing season in the Lowcountry), so I was wondering if anyone else had seen this and if a more permanent fix was available without sending to Humminbird. BTW - they really need to get a more modern customer support system - I can't believe that when a unit is under warranty (which mine is), they won't send you a new one and have you send back the flawed one. I pushed hard to get them to do this, but they wouldn't. I've had two kindles flake out and amazon sends new ones - no questions asked, if they are under warranty.

Anyway - please let me know if anyone has seen this problem. My guess is that I'll have to send it in - sounds like a hardware/software issue with the unit itself. BTW - I do love this product, just wish it would work all the time. I'm still learning to use it though, so look forward to learning from this forum.

Thanks, Mark

Offline Gattlin

• Walking the shores of Galillee
  • Zebco 202 Musky hunters club:P
  • Unit(s): 898C SI & 858C Combo
  • Accessories: Lakemaster chips, Ethernet
Re: 898c Flaking Out - Help
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 10:41:57 PM »
 Anytime I hear unit reboots makes me think. Power supply issues. My units have rebooted on a number of occasions the first few times were because I had to low of voltage running from the fuse panel on my boat. So I wired direct to my battery with an inline 3a spade fuse and I believe16G wire. Problem was solved. I do not unhook my units from my boat when I get home. If you connect unconnect all the time there can be some wear at the pins of the Unit where the power connects, a slight very slight bend on the pins might help with power if that's the case. The other issue of rebooting for me is of a firmware conflict between my two units over the Ethernet the newer firmware at the console doesn't like the older firmware at the bow. If I updated the firmware at the bow I suspect this will go away. But I will not as that firmware seems to give me a better picture. than the newest firmware at the moment. Good luck and tight lines Gat
Just one last cast.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo