Author Topic: Ipilot Link intermittant connectivity with Humminbird 899  (Read 17643 times)

Offline angler1

• Unit(s): 899 ci HD SI
Ipilot Link intermittant connectivity with Humminbird 899
« on: June 14, 2014, 04:55:41 PM »
Hello,

I have a new 899 HD SI combo with 17 hours on it so far.  I installed the new 899 with a new ipilot link head unit controller on my Terrova 101 for this season.  These two are the only two devices Ethernet connected.  No hub in the network.

Since day one, the ipilot link will have intermittent connectivity.  It will show connected and then unconnected on the accessory test screen.  Sometimes it never connects, and sometimes it will remain connected for a few hours, and other times it alternates every 30 seconds to a few minutes between connected and unconnected.  Sometimes a  reboot of the Terrova will connect it, sometimes it won't.  There is no cause and effect that I found.  Everything could be sitting idle when it bounces between connect and unconnected.  (and it is uncconnecting because I loose depth and temp info on the ipilot remote and ipilot control at the 899)

Oh..I have had connectivity long enough that everything is indeed updated with the current version of software..899, ipilot link controller, and remote.  So that ain't it.

Plot thickens....I had a problem with the ipilot head a few weeks ago where it took 15-20 minutes to GPS lock.  Called MinnKota, told them about the GPS and the unconnected/connected problem.  They sent me a brand new head controller!  The GPS lock is fixed, BUT the unconnected/connected problems remains!

Called Humminbird.  They asked me if the IP address on the start up test screen is populated.  Didn't know at the time, but YES.  When the Terrova is on, I get an IP address.  When it is stowed/off, I don't get an IP address.  When it connects/and unconnects. the IP address remains there.

Humminbird also gave me a procedure to reset 899 to defaults with Ethernet unplugged and that didn't do it either.  And yes, all my connections are fine.

Going to call Humminbird again obviously, but thought I would throw a post out to see if anyone is aware of a problem, or if there is something else I should try, or if there could be another cause I'm missing.  Having to mess with this stuff, rather than just use it, has been quite disappointing so far.

Offline bobcoy

• Unit(s): 1197 & 1198
  • Software: 6.640 & 7.670
  • Accessories: iPilot-Link,GRHA GPS-HS,ETH 5PS
Re: Ipilot Link intermittant connectivity with Humminbird 899
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 08:26:10 PM »
Seeing you have the latest updates, it sounds like is a poor connection/bad cable or 899 related. HB will be of help. I have 2 HB units,Terrova with 2 different ipilots(original and Link). I am lucky to have had zero problems. Hang in there with HB customer service you shall prevail. Bob

Offline angler1

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 09:18:01 PM »
Yeah, thought about the Ethernet cable...but the IP address shows up 100% of the time that the Terrova is on.  It never disappears unless the Terrova is off/stowed.  So there is some networking communication going on through the cable.  It's like the actual higher layer software system between the two is what is cutting out (connected/unconnected), but lower layer network is there.

I don't know how the software works between the two, but I'd guess with IP address, a network connection is being established.

Anyone know how this works?  Do I have a good continuous network connection if the IP address is showing up?  Curious because Humminbird did want to know the answer to this first.

Or could it indeed be a cable problem?  The new cable looked fine and the install was easy and smooth routing it.  I didn't have to use a winch or anything.  Of course, also in the cable run, is the 12"-15"  pigtail Ethernet cable/adapter that has the new Humminbird Ethernet plug on one end and the standard round Ethernet connector on the other end...also in the wire path.  Should I start buying and changing cables?   PIA!

Offline bobcoy

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:54:59 AM »
Wait and see what HB says. many times they will ship you things to aid in troubleshooting.

Offline hercules100

• Unit(s): 1199ci
  • Software: unknown
  • Accessories: I pilot
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 12:20:19 PM »
Hello:  My first post on this site.  I probably have the wrong forum but It seems like you guys may know the answers to my simple questions:  I currently have an I-Pilot and noticed when I use a recorded track for trolling, If I get off course (wind/wave) the unit will go back to the point of error, this will turn the boat around to get back to the original point.  This causes major problems when trolling and if standing in front of the boat may cause you to go overboard.  Now; my question is; If I get the I-Pilot Link/Lake-master follow the couture system, will it react the same way when following a couture depth line? I don't want to spend 3 - 4K and find out I can't use the system.

Thanks
Hercules

Offline Goosedwnr

• Unit(s): 1198SI & 998SI
  • Software: 6.740
  • Accessories: Terrova I-Pilot Link, AutoChart
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 01:10:37 PM »
Angler1, I have had the same problem before and after the updates. No ryhme or reason. Frustrating to say the least. I have an 998 si and 1198 si connected through an ethernet hub as well. I am still testing to see if anything triggers it. Haven't found anything yet.

-Cory

Offline angler1

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 02:23:16 PM »
Thanks Cory.  We shared a discussion on this problem a few months ago when it did the connect/unconnected thing in my driveway after my brand new install.

Now that I got a few hours on it, and also changed out the ipilot link controller to another brand new one...thought I blast this new post out.  Got to be Humminbird software.  I haven't found or heard anyone with the same problem yet, other than you and me. 

I took the head off and have it here beside me.  Going to call Humminbird and pretty sure next step is going to be sending it in.  Oh well, maybe will get to enjoy the investments the second half of the season.

I'll post back on this thread with the results after I talk to Humminbird tomorrow.  That is still one heck of a nice Minnesota Bass.

Offline angler1

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 05:53:38 PM »
Okay..talked to Humminbird today.  Phone wait time took too long but very friendly and eager to help customer service.

They were baffled with the symptoms.  They were on and off the phone with me consulting in the background, and they also must have a hot line to Minnkota since they were also talking with them.

Since the IP and MAC address remains on the 899 while the connect/unconnect problem is occurring, they are assuming I have an Ethernet connection and that there must be a lot of network errors or something causing the software problem.

They are guessing that it must be the cable, and are therefore sending me out a new 20' Ethernet cable to try.  They said they haven't had issues with their pigtail adapter cable out of the 899, so they are not sending that out (yet).

The cable is back ordered until next Friday, so I won't have any updates if this is the problem, until probably, the 4th of July. 

Maybe we'll be in business by winter!  Will update in a couple weeks.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 09:18:23 AM »
angler1,
Mondays are the busiest day of the week for our CRC folks.  Unless I just have to; I try avoid calling any Customer Service people on Mondays as most businesses are like us with Mondays being busy from people using their products over the weekend.  I would bet that they did have Minn Kota on the phone which is a good thing.  I’m not so sure it is Humminbird software though as we should be seeing far more posts from others with the same basic setup.  Hang in there though as they should get it sorted out for you.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline bobcoy

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 11:37:59 AM »
Angler and Goose, Are you guys using cruise controll? If so,depending on conditions, if you don't have enough speed programmed  the wind,waves and current will overwhelm the terrova and cause the ipilot to go into a mode where it will use the Terrova to fight to go where you want it to. There are limitations to what it can do. If I encounter cross winds or current I will use the "legacy" autopilot mode and make manual correction to stay on the course I choose.(especially if I have 6 lines out the back of the boat) Bob

Offline hercules100

• Unit(s): 1199ci
  • Software: unknown
  • Accessories: I pilot
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 12:31:15 PM »
Hello: Bobcoy  Can you explain how the Legacy setting works differently than the I-Pilot auto GPS.  If I use the normal autopilot setting I can manually correct course settings, however; if I try to use a Track the problems start.  The darn thing wants to go back to the original point it got off course and will turn the boat around.  This Legacy setting may be what I'm looking for.  I fish Lake Tahoe and use 700-800 feet of leadcore, and you haven't had a tangle until you get two X 800ft of line in twisted mess (usually ends up in a $80 snip).  I think the follow the couture would be great to help keep a constant 175 ft. depth troll, if it will just correct to the closest point off course an not go back to the seen of the crime, if you have any first hand experience I would be greatly appreciative.

Hercules
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:01:32 PM by hercules100 »

Offline bobcoy

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 02:15:30 PM »
Hello Herc, The legacy autopilot is by the use of the compass alone. It will follow the heading you are on when you set it. It really doesn't make corrections for the wind but it will continue to head in the direction it was set at. Therefore you will have to periodically adjust to head where you want. That makes for a smooth adjustment because it is not trying to go to the next point on a GPS route. There are times when I use the GPS autopilot with a brisk side wind , the abrupt direction change can trigger the fish to bite, but i am aware so I can take control if needed. Bob

Offline angler1

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »
Greg, you're right, it probably isn't software since Cory and I are the only two I can find on any post, anywhere, with this particular problem.  And the problem did baffle your CRC people, so it was not a known issue.  I'm starting to believe maybe it is a cable..which I would have not bet on.  Will find out.  Got a notice it shipped, so maybe will post back by Monday with results.

Bobcoy, my connect/unconnect problem has no cause and effect.  I could be sitting idle with motor deployed but not running, could be in auto-pilot, and/or yes, in cruise control.  It doesn't matter.  So might just be a cable.  I am tending to use legacy auto pilot most of the time.  Advanced does seem to do goofy stuff. 

Offline angler1

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 11:03:16 PM »
OKAY....got my new humminbird cable.  Ran down to the boat, unpackaged it and stretched out.  Was going to run it on top of the boat rather than run through the boat to make sure it works...before fishing through the hull again.

WELL...the cable they sent me AS EC 20E has two female ends.   The ipilot Link cable coming from the head unit also has a female end!  The AS EC QDE cable coming from the 899 also has a female end!  I did notice that all the CRC reps at humminbird I talked to were female.  But the only way this network is going to work is to have some males.  You would think humminbird would know what to send me.  Oh well, get to talk to them again this Monday.

But it gets more interesting

..I get on the Humminbird site to write down and maybe help them Monday with the right part....and there are no cable with male ends on the site that I see.  All the cables have female ends.  (The description for an AS EC QDE, for example, says to hook it up to an Ethernet cable but the cables shown will not hook up because they are female.)

So get on Minnkota's site to see if they have a part number and I can't find any Ethernet cable on that site at all.  Greg...how does this work?   What part # do they need to send me?

Thanks.

Greg, I need your help.  What cable do I tell your customer service reps to send me? 

Offline angler1

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 11:21:01 PM »
I think I'm mistaken on the AS EC QDE.  It has a male end.  I didn't take this apart when I saw the AS EC 20E would not work with the ipilot link cable.  And the picture of the AS EC QDE on Humminbird's site show a female end, so that is wrong.

Regardless, what cable has a female on one end and a male on the other.  That's what I need and all the pics on the humminbird site show all females.

Thanks

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 01:10:02 PM »
angler1,
You need the AS-ECX-30E Ethernet Extension Cable.
The Minn Kota i-Pilot Link manual lists the cable as a 490389-1 which is our part number for the AS-ECX-30E cable.  Don’t look at the picture on the Humminbird web site because it is still showing the wrong cable (it shows one with two female ends).

BTW: there are some guys that work in the CRC department, not many but a few.

Offline angler1

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 01:22:53 PM »
Thanks Greg.  Didn't call yet, but I'll lead them with the right cable you define.  Thanks again.

Offline georgejr

• Family, Farming, and Fishing/Hunting sums me up.
  • Unit(s): 899ci SI
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 06:15:43 AM »
Just to let you know three users have the same type of issue.  I have the Terrova 80 Ipilot /Ilink with a 899 new install.  New controller was shipped out for the Minn Kota, New Doggle cable to go from the 30 ' ethernet to the 899.  When I swapped controllers it worked I was connected, tried the old one again and it works so I went with the origional.  Got to the water and it didn't work.  Last night I swapped back to the new Link minnkota head unit and it worked.  Went to the lake and not all the functions worked but then remembered I didn't have the latest software.  Went to update the software this early AM and It connected, went to update the software and then messaged me that the software failed to download.  looped thru this over and over and now I can't get the two to talk at all... 

For your 30 ft cable issue can you move the power source and get your head unit to directly connect to the ethernet coming out the MinnKota?  I did that to verify cable issue which was the easy first step (other then moving power cable all the time). 

I was hoping I was fixed at this point but now that the unit appears bricked on the failed download jury is still out.  Spot lock works good and autopilot works good which is what I used yesterday after I figured out why I couldn't get the unit to act correctly on follow the contour or navigate to a waypoint from the humminbird. 

I'm 2 weeks out for MY 1 week of fishing that I live for....  I'm so close I think to having my problem fixed but will check.  If you look at my posts I had another one noting the same problem you guys are having.  Let us know if you got it working and what the end problem was.  CSR are great, but getting the right fix in short order is better.  ;-) 

Offline angler1

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »
Thanks for the info Georgejr.  I got a notice that Humminbird did send the correct cable out, so rather than move the head unit and rig up a power source, I should have results soon.  But that is a good idea.

Your issue is making me wonder if there really is an underlying software/hardware bug in the system.  I will post back with the results of the new cable.  If not, the next swap will probably be the AS EC QDE cable out of the back of the head unit. Then..I don't know.  Probably will lose my head unit to Humminbird for a while.

I get connectivity now and then, but 90% of the time on the water it is in an unconnected state.  Cory, I meant to ask you, it sounds like you're in a connected state most of the time??  (And therefore not as frustrated as I am!)

Offline Goosedwnr

• Unit(s): 1198SI & 998SI
  • Software: 6.740
  • Accessories: Terrova I-Pilot Link, AutoChart
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 02:25:32 PM »
Angler1,

The issues I am having with connectivity happen with both my units.  That's why I am thinking it is an Ethernet cable problem or a software problem.  At first I thought it was the cable due to the fact not many other people posted anything up about it.  I am still not sure, and I will not be taking anything apart at this stage as I don't want to brick the units and not be able to use them for a couple weeks.  The connectivity problem I have is very intermittent.  I was out on the water all Sunday and I did not see it disconnect one time, that doesn't mean it didn't though and I didn't see it.  Usually when it starts to do that I have to Store and Deploy my TM.  Some times it works and some times it doesn't.  I am at a catch 22 when it comes to trying things, I don't want to take anything apart during the summer and lose those few and far between days, and in the winter time the boat is stored for our Long Cold Minnesota Winter!  I am sure something will work out sooner or later.

-Cory

Offline angler1

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 08:06:19 PM »
Gentlemen,

Went out Saturday afternoon for 4-5 hours with new cable running across the top of my deck, AND it stayed connected the whole time!  Ran the cable through the boat this morning and went out for another few hours, AND all is GOOD!

Don't want to speak too soon...but looks like it was the cable!  With the old cable it surely would have disconnected several time, or stayed disconnected, in this time frame.

I'll drop a post back after I get some more hours on it and confirm..but all seems good so far.

Offline angler1

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 03:53:47 PM »
All is good!  Stays connected 100% now.  It was the cable!  Thanks for everyone's help.

Offline AaronB

• Unit(s): 898ci DI HD
  • Software: 7.020
  • Accessories: Ipiliot Ilink
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 06:20:24 PM »
I'm having a similar issue with my 899.
Did your 899 power down after it loses connection with the ipilot link?

Offline georgejr

• Family, Farming, and Fishing/Hunting sums me up.
  • Unit(s): 899ci SI
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
I'm good now as well.  Never had a power cycle if it lost connection.  Just used it for 7 days straight and worked as expected.  Was a dream to follow the contour as long as the tailwind wasn't pushing too bad as I was using CC as well.  I would call up humminbird if your getting a power cycle with it looses connection to the link that does sound software/hardware on their end.  Glad to see myself and the other poster are working great.  Mine was believed to be cable and ended up being the Ipilot / Link head. 

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »
AaronB,
I would check all connections between the trolling motor and unit first and then all power connections from the 899 unit to the battery it is powered from.  No loose or corroded connections and don’t forget to check the fuse, fuse holder and the battery contacts.
Check the software versions you are running in your unit as well as the Controller and Remote for the trolling motor.

Offline Erino

• Unit(s): 1199 si, 1159, 859 combo, Helix 7 G2n
  • Software: 7.65, 2.04 & 2.15
  • Accessories: I-link, ethernet hub, Terrova 80, MK-315
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 10:37:53 AM »
AaronB.....Make sure your software is up to date......Software in your head units, remote control and I-link.  I had the same issue with my unit powering down.  It was a software issue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo