Author Topic: Snapped off transducer :(  (Read 5625 times)

Offline neverboater

• Unit(s): HDR600
Snapped off transducer :(
« on: April 24, 2014, 12:27:16 AM »
I have a simple, few yr old (2004) model called "hdr600" I dropped something on the sounder and snapped it off at the bracket :(

While it was hangin during th winter, it appears to have pulled too hard, and the wire looks like it's comin loose from it. I took it out and listened to it, still clickin...but I don't necessarily want it back in the water...

So I have a few options, really only interested in two:

1: I'd like to save it and mount it in the engine box. It is one piece fiberglass hull flat  where I'd put it. Is it doable with this style of transom mount sounder? Only need for simple depth measurement, no images or anything... I've seen it done, just double checking.

2:  replace the sounder.. Dilemma is, not sure connectors will match up. Mine has a small flat connector with two pins. I got the answer from humminbird that the xnt-9-20 will fit my HDR600.
I'm not convinced..everything I've seen the connector is different. Not  confident enough or order. Cannot tell in any ads.

Thoughts...advice?

Thanks a ton

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Snapped off transducer :(
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »
Welcome to the Humminbird Side Imaging Forums neverboater.

1: If the wire looks like it is coming loose then it has the potential to break.  You can install this transducer inside-the-hull but you may also want to add some epoxy or other type of adhesive to where the wire is coming loose at to keep the wires from over-flexing and breaking at this point.

2: Replace the sounder with what?  Another digital depth sounder?  If so, the HDR 650 will fit in the same location and even uses the same XNT-9-20 transducer (or exchange that transducer for an inside-the-hull XP-9-20 transducer).  If you are looking for a chart type sounder you will have to be a little more specific in what you want as there are many that use the XNT-9-20 transducer.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline neverboater

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 01:08:50 PM »
Welcome to the Humminbird Side Imaging Forums neverboater.

1: If the wire looks like it is coming loose then it has the potential to break.  You can install this transducer inside-the-hull but you may also want to add some epoxy or other type of adhesive to where the wire is coming loose at to keep the wires from over-flexing and breaking at this point.

2: Replace the sounder with what? Another digital depth sounder?  If so, the HDR 650 will fit in the same location and even uses the same XNT-9-20 transducer (or exchange that transducer for an inside-the-hull XP-9-20 transducer).  If you are looking for a chart type sounder you will have to be a little more specific in what you want as there are many that use the XNT-9-20 transducer.

awesome thanks for the response.... Love DIY stuff like this..thanks for the answer on #1.

on #2:

sorry i meant I replace JUST the transducer leaving the HDR, to replace LIKE for LIKE. which would cover up the holes in the transom. But cant get clear answer on if that xnt-9-20 has the same connector that will mount right up to my HDR600(from 2004) in dash unit.  Or if it needs an adapter of some sort. The photos I have seen of the xnt-9-20 I have seen a different connector...but I MIGHT be mistaken and looked at photos of the xnt-9-20-T that has the temp sensor.

SO do you know if it needs an adapter? If it DOES that makes the whole deal nearly as expensive as buying whole new complete system (the 650 you mentioned)

no need for charting or anything. casual fisherman here, and family boating.

I took the transducer out yesterday so I could experiment with in hull placement and to make sure it was still sending(still clicks)... SO this weekend my plan is to head out briefly(weather permitting, which it never is) plug it in, have my wife drive while I test it out. then mount it permanently later if it works...

If NOT, then go on to #2. just making sure I go about it correctly.  :)

thanks again!

Offline neverboater

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 01:14:16 PM »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 03:44:31 PM »
Gotcha on replacing the transducer…

No, that is a type 6 transducer connector as in an XT-6-20 or one of the other possible forms we built for the HDR 600 units.  Hard to tell which one by only looking at the connector end of it.  Look at the first few feet of cable for some white or yellow numbering/lettering which will have the model number.  Than I can tell you if the hardware will match up or not.
Regardless of which model it is, you will have to use an AD-926 adapter with it.

If you are thinking of replacing the transducer I would just go the inside-the-hull route and get the XP-9-20 plus the AD-926 adapter cable or maybe just replace the whole system with an HDR 650 with an inside-the-hull transducer (you can make an exchange for one if it does not come with one).

Offline neverboater

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 04:48:42 PM »
I didnt see any #'s on the wire BUT.... The Manual calls it an xhs-6-16. if that helps you?

Also I Had a return email asking about needing an adapter...from Humminbird support that the"HDR600 and HDR610 models both used the xnt-9-20" but no mention of adapter. also its on the fact sheet for all the accessories. That caveat should be added with asterisk :)

but I think YOU are correct...wont match up.

I think Ill just end up getting a whole new system. as a transducer with this adapter will be nearly as much as the whole thing possibly.

thanks again.

ill just hope that the through-hull test with the original works for now. ;D

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 10:27:51 AM »
neverboater,
Since they have been around for so many years; we have shipped different transducers out with the HDR 600, 610 and now 650 units.  Some of these even had different connectors and sometimes adapters were used while most times they were not.  Adding to that is that different boat manufacturers (the main purchasers of these units) want different mounting type transducers.  It all adds up to many different transducers getting used for the same unit.  it makes it hard on us to help our Customers.  The cable labeling helps this (if the labeling is still readable!).

I think you will be better off with a whole new unit and transducer, though the inside-the-hull install should work for now.

Offline neverboater

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 01:15:04 PM »
in the interest of "closure" Unfortunately, It did not work well enough to make me confident enough to mount.... I got it to read in the bilge below the motor, but it would flash and drop out. I did find a place where it read 100% up against the transom. but that spot looked to be out of the water a couple inches when On plane. so no go. I was on a "no wake" fishing lake, so I couldnt test it properly, so I gave up on that idea.

I found a suitable bracket at humminbird, it took a little coaxing and new holes, but its back on the transom, and working fine. Also, sealed the area around the wire with marine silicon.

thanks again for your help, see you on the water!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo