Author Topic: Hi from Windermere UK.  (Read 6162 times)

IRC Kevin

Hi from Windermere UK.
« on: August 03, 2009, 06:46:21 AM »
Hi All,
I've only been boating for two years, but have jumped in with both feet, so as to speak, and my wife and I spend every bit of free time we can on our boat on Windermere in the English Lake District. Any other spare time is taken up with my other hobby- a member of an urban search and rescue team. Although earthquakes are our main speciality, we also get called out to other disasters such as building collapses, train crashes and floods. We have three trailerable rescue boats around the UK and I first became aware of the Humminbird when we reviewed one for fitting to our Pioner rescue boat. Sadly, the financial situation has drastically reduced donations to our team (we're a charity) and we were unable to justify the expense for the moment, although I was so impressed with it, I've fitted one to my own boat, which is also available for SAR on the Lake.
ila_rendered

Our boat is a 1998 Bayliner 2855, which we love to bits and have called Teachers' Pet (We're both teachers)

We're also very lucky to be berthed in such a beautiful location.

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
Re: Hi from Windermere UK.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:01:22 AM »
Wow Kevin!
Wonderfull pictures of a beautiful landscape! And a very nice boat too!

Welcome to the "Mug Shot Gang"  :)

Hopefully you don't have to go out for SAR with your boat (better not at all), but it is good to have the right people and the right equipment handy if a situation needs it.
Sad that money is always an issue if it comes to security and related themes.
Our Water Police outfitted a couple of their small boats with HB fishfinders last year.....
and bought 500 series fishfinders!

I talked to their boss this spring about getting SI for their big boats, but they didn't even know about SI. Maybe they will buy at the end of the year, if there is money left in their budget. They called me in June to assist in a search for a possibly drowned angler in Constance. Couldn't find the guy, but it wasn't even sure if there was someone drowned (people found a fishing rod at the banks and a baseball cap in the water near it). Got a reimbursement for the gasoline and that was fine with me than.

Best wishes from Lake Constance
Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline metalman

• Unit(s): 997 SI
  • Software: 4.750
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 08:20:17 AM »
Kevin,
Thanks for the welcome in my post and thank you for some glimpses of home. I was born and bred in England; Derbyshire to be exact and spent a lot of time in the Lake District.
That's a nice boat you have.
...W

IRC Kevin

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 02:13:56 PM »
Thanks, Metalman. Love Derbyshire, but my days of hill walking are long past and now prefer the peace of the Lake. No doubt there will be millions there this weekend as weather forecast is good, but mid-week we have the Lake to ourselves near enough and we've got a week's holiday coming up at the beginning of June.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo