Author Topic: Solix Follow Contour  (Read 7403 times)

Offline Diesel Pro

• Unit(s): 1197c SI
  • Software: 5.500
  • Accessories: GR HA GPS, XM weather
Solix Follow Contour
« on: June 07, 2018, 09:34:03 AM »
Solix 12si Ulterra Ipilot Link BT- all new setup.  When out on the water testing I found that the Follow Contour acted oddly.  I selected my contour and which direction to go but as soon as I told it to go it took off and went the away from the contour line.  My research tells me that there is an offset distance that could be causing this, but it appears as though I cannot bring this up in the unit until I am out of garage  in GPS range?  Hoping for some suggestions before I hit the water next.

I did go through the settings and switched off a lot of Auto config settings so I can set my external GPS as first preference then the internal etc.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 04:38:15 PM by Diesel Pro »

Offline N9Phil

• Unit(s): Solix 15 SI - Onix10 CI SI - 1198 CSI
  • Accessories: 80Terova W/ i-Link -- 360
Re: Follow Contour
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 07:33:07 AM »
John you are correct when you say that you have to be on the water.  What map are you using?  I have not tried it with the Solix yet but when using the Onix I believe that you have to use either a Lakemaster map or the one created with AutoChart PC or Autochart Live.  When you put your cursor on the depth line that you want to follow the menu that comes up allows you to set the direction to follow and the off set that you want.
Solix 15 SI  Onix10 CI SI - 1198 CSIAccessories:80Terova W/ i-Link -- Transom 360

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 09:30:59 PM »
John you are correct when you say that you have to be on the water.  What map are you using?  I have not tried it with the Solix yet but when using the Onix I believe that you have to use either a Lakemaster map or the one created with AutoChart PC or Autochart Live.  When you put your cursor on the depth line that you want to follow the menu that comes up allows you to set the direction to follow and the off set that you want.

Thanks for popping in N9Phil. I run Fortrex and have no experience with the iPilot questions  ...

Rickie

Offline Diesel Pro

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »

I'm running Lakemaster Plus.  Did the cursor thing plus selected the direction and then it took off and went away from the contour line.  I hope to get more time to test, but this seriously cuts into my fishing time. 

That and the double bottom at depths around 10' and under :rolleyes:  Apparently I cant run Medium/High frequency, only high at that depth, but when I'm trying to run around 12-14' it's inevitable that I will hit 10 at some point and impractical to change from med/high to high and back again. 

Offline N9Phil

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 08:45:29 AM »
John, I have heard that there are times when you have to zoom in further on your map to get it to work right and you might also try only have your map chart on the screen to see if it works correctly.  As for the double bottom situation, I don't use the auto depth feature.  I usually set the max depth to a little over the depth of the lake I am fishing. 
Solix 15 SI  Onix10 CI SI - 1198 CSIAccessories:80Terova W/ i-Link -- Transom 360

Offline Diesel Pro

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 08:13:22 PM »
Somehow I must have changed something that knocked out my follow contour in the menu.  I have tried several times now and it does not even appear. 

Offline Diesel Pro

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 09:39:47 AM »
I think my issues may lie deeper in the configuration.  I recently was in there looking at transducer selection and GPS selection and told it that the external was my #1 and the internal #2 so I am guessing that this may affect the Link menu?   

Offline FishinLite

• Unit(s): 9 SI, 9 DI, AS ETH5PXG, I-Link, 360
  • Software: 7.765
  • Accessories: HD Side Imaging Transducer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 09:02:56 AM »
Check the connection to the i-Pilot Link. If the HB doesn't fine the I-pilot Link it will not bring up the contour choice. Once your care sure you are connected to the MInnKota, if the choice doesn't appear, you need to zoom in on the map.

Good Luck, keep us posted  :)

Offline Diesel Pro

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 09:28:20 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I tested last night in the garage on the trailer and it was in the menu.  I found that it came and went based on the Ulterra status.  The Ulterra needs to be deployed of course and also cannot be trimmed to max height.  On the trailer I have limited trim capabilities.  I found that I had to trim down a bit for capabilities to be enabled.  Since much of my trolling uses Legacy Autopilot I think that even though I exited Autopilot mode it was still holding the navigation attention of the unit.  I do see a Navigation cancelled on the Bird screen at times (when stowing?) so I need to make sure it is releasing.  It may not be releasing when I cancel on the remote and may be releasing when I stow the motor.  I plan to test this by trimming all the way up when the Contour is not available and see what happens.

Next I plan to set up a contour, clear my tracks, snap a pic of this contour then tell it to go to it.  This way if it runs away from it I'll have a track showing what it does. Also rather than aborting immediately I hope to let it run and see just where it goes.   

Offline N9Phil

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 02:33:54 AM »
here is something that might help also.   https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683880

Offline Diesel Pro

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 08:29:24 PM »
So I got to use my follow Contour today. Initially it worked quite well.  My first run it went for a quite a long distance and the tracks showed that it could have gone further but it was beyond my trolling area.  On following runs it decided to beep and tell me I was at my destination after only going a couple hundred yards. This became quite annoying as it would just quit mid pass.

I found out why it sometimes wants to turn around and go the opposite direction when I start a follow. It is because the system makes a very odd start point that is sometimes actually behind my boat. Other times it starts ahead and tracks just fine. Has to be a bug in the logic. It seems to vary sometimes based on proximity to the selected contour. Rather than drawing a line direct from my location to the junction of the orange and blue highlight it decides that I am someplace else I guess. It also had some odd double lines and sometimes would follow nicely while other times it would cut corners of a contour line. Other times it would follow a contour but it would not show me the gray highlight at all. Overall the system has great potential.

Offline Diesel Pro

Re: Solix Follow Contour
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 04:40:57 PM »
The issue has been dubbed Crazy Ivan on another forum.

HB is aware of this and I have snapped photos of the screen while it is doing this.  Unfortunately it's been 3 weeks for me and more for others and no word on a fix.

recap:
The issue that I have is that when I select the contour and the direction that I want to follow (directly ahead of me) the system generates a tangential line leading to the intersection of the blue and the orange.  This tangential line could either be to my side (flank) or from a point ahead.  If it is on my flank is where the unit often tries to do a Crazy Ivan and reverse course before it starts.  If it is from the front the unit goes to the intersection, follows the course for a couple hundred yards and then decides it has reached the end where it promptly executes a Crazy Ivan (full reverse) which I have never waited on.  I steer the motor manually which cancels the navigation and then restart the game again.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo