Author Topic: Installation Tips  (Read 4606 times)

Offline Idaho Basser

• Unit(s): 787ci
Installation Tips
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:52:48 AM »
I'm brand new to this board, and only discovered it as I researched a new sonar unit.  I've fished local bass tournaments for years, and switched to Humminbird electronics a long time ago.  I currently have two 787c units on my boat.  However, I pulled the trigger last night and purchased an 898 SI for the console.  I'm going to have it installed by a local marine outfit, but have a few questions for you folks.

-If I plan on updating the front unit later this year, or early next, would you bother with interlink?  My intent is to buy one of the ethernet compatible units for the front deck, thus eliminating the interlink, which I've heard horror stories about.

-What cables/etc. do I need in addition to what comes in the box?  I believe a splitter cable (so I can have the thru the hull transducer and the SI transducer?

-Does it come with only the SI transducer? 

-What is the very best transducer, in your opinion, for in the hull?

-Finally, do any of you have a mount you prefer?  It seems the RAM mounts are pretty nice.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Installation Tips
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »
I would not go with the InterLink if you are planning on installing a second Ethernet cable unit on the bow next year.  You are new to Si sonar and should use this year to get more familiar with it.  There have been some that have experienced problems with the InterLink but many more who have not.  I believe that we have seen far fewer problems with Ethernet connected units so far.

The 898c Si unit will come with the XHS-9-HDSi-180-T transom mount High Definition Side Imaging transducer.  This transducer is capable of conventional (2D) sonar, Side Imaging (Si) sonar and Down imaging (Di) sonar.  However, many also purchase an additional 2D sonar transducer that gets installed inside-the-hull (sounds like this is what you are wanting to do).  The preferred transducer for this is the XP-9-20 inside-the-hull DualBeam transducer.  You will also want to purchase the AS-Si-DB-Y transducer splitter cable.  Both transducers plug into this cable (which is labeled for proper installation) and the cable plugs into the unit.

I hear that the RAM mounts are pretty nice too and that you should get the 2.5 sized ball to make sure that the unit does not move around when you hit rough water.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Idaho Basser

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:00:38 PM »
Greg,

Thanks.  That's very helpful information.  I'm fairly familar with the Side Imaging as my brother has a 700 series in his boat.  We find things in his, and then share waypoints with data cards.

Anyway, while his interlink has worked perfect, I hear nightmares for other folks. 

My last question;  I'm mounting the transducer on a Skeeter ZX225, with big jackplate.  From what I've read, it seems I want to locate it so it's not in line with the prop, and just above the bottom of the hull, so when fishing in shallow brush, I don't break it.  I assume the closest location like that, toward the middle of the hull?

Offline Idaho Basser

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 02:20:27 PM »
As I've done further research, I came across kits for installing on the jackplate for Skeeters.  Anyone have feedback on that?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 04:12:28 PM »
You should check with Doug Vahrenberg about that as he is well versed in Si installations on Skeeter boats.  I think that he is a member of this board.  If not he is always on a few other boards.  Send me a direct e-mail and UI can send you links to those web sites.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo