Author Topic: Size of SI Transducer  (Read 10181 times)

Offline wk4036

• Unit(s): 998c
  • Software: 5.410
Size of SI Transducer
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »
 I'm sorry if my first post here is a rant but I think some of us are kinda misinformed.
 So I bought a new 998c SI and when I went to mount the transducer I discovered like many have that you need a certain amount of room between the transom and the lower unit of your motor as to not block the SI, now I understand that the motor can be trimmed up to provide this clearance but I also have a transom mounted kicker that would also need to be trimmed up.
 I think Humminbird needs to make this required amount of clearance known to the purchaser before we put out the cash for something that some may not be able to use because of a lack of clearance and not being able to obtain it either by trimming the motor or using a different style transducer.
 If someone here is able to suggest to Humminbird that this should be added to the website, brochure and to the sales people in stores that the potential buyer needs to check before buying a unit and finding out the hard way it may not work for them.
 I know I would much rather be told up front honestly that something may not work than to get it home and out of the box and find it won't work.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:42:17 PM by wk4036 »
I remember honesty, I never forget lies!

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: Size of SI Transducer
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:33:14 PM »
There used to be an adage for banking ....something like truth in lending.  I wish today there was a truth in purchasing.
Marketing for the most part in almost any product does not give needs of the consumer much priority over sales quota.
I guess we are back to the old saying   let the buyer beware.
Unfortunatley that means we as the buyer have to spend a lot of time to ensure  our purchase is worth the money we end up spending.
The internet today does help with fact finding but there again you have to take the information with a grain of salt. And the time to find the right search argument.
Yes I agree that a consumer web site for a product would be helpful. If it contained valuable information relating to the purchaser need.
Now having said all of that.  This forum is a great place to start a purchase quest. If folks knew about this forum and would get on and ask a lot of information that  is here... that would assist in purchases and  then the purchase/installation might be better served.

Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:58:10 PM »
wk4036,
First let me say that we do not in anyway control the sales people who work for other companies.  We do offer instructions for the sales people of these companies but this is usually just a few select people from the many stores that that company may own.

We do have this information available off of our web site but you would have to know to download and read the operations manual (it includes the installation instructions) before purchasing.  I will ask to see if we can put some sort of warning about the mounting needs of this and the other Si transducers on the web site but I would bet that if it does get added that it is only added to the transducer accessory portion of the web site.

I’m guessing here that you are wanting to use the Si sonar while your kicker motor is also in use, correct?  There are two options that I can think of for you:
1.) Install one of the XPTH-9-HDSi-180-T Thru-Hull HDSi transducers.  This may not be possible as your boat may get trailered and this could end up damaging the transducer.  By the way, this type of transducer gets mounted on the underside of your boat hull through a hole in the hull.  Your boat’s hull may also not allow for this type of transducer to work due to its hull shape (deep-vee?).

2.) Install a second XHS-9-HDSi-180-T transducer on the opposite side of your kicker motor and use an AS-Si-LR-Y Si transducer splitter cable to connect it and the other HDSi transducer that came with your boat to your unit.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline BaitCaster

• Unit(s): 798ci si
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 03:01:38 PM »
You could also probably use a jackplate for your kicker to give more clearance.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 03:17:52 PM »
With all the accessories and problems with mounts and front/rear trolling/planeing speeds I wonder if HB should have a purchaser questionire that details the buyers needs based on answers. This way an item by item list could be generated (with instructions on how to) so that the buyer gets what is needed for his/her particular need.
Greg, how about taking this forward to your powers that be and see if they have any intertest in customer needs/determination.
This might be a good project for someone on the forum in case Hb does not want to do this...
Chuck

Offline CHOOhonets

• Unit(s): 998 HD SI
  • Software: 6.49
  • Accessories: AS SI LR Y cable
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 07:44:44 AM »
Could someone please explain one more time what clearance should I provide to prevent blocking
HDSI transducer signals? Maybe you have some pictures illustrating that?
PS I haven’t found anything about it in my 798ci manual (I have 798ci+HDSI transducer) and I’m afraid that I may face some issues when using my 798 (transom mount) with my inflatable boat and 15 horsepower Mercury.

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 02:15:07 PM »
Choo; I had to mount the xducer on a metal tube on mt rubber duck. The mount put the xducer about 6" below the motor/lower unit and would puld up for hi speed running. Roddy
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 04:28:21 PM »
With all the accessories and problems with mounts and front/rear trolling/planeing speeds I wonder if HB should have a purchaser questionire that details the buyers needs based on answers. This way an item by item list could be generated (with instructions on how to) so that the buyer gets what is needed for his/her particular need.
Greg, how about taking this forward to your powers that be and see if they have any intertest in customer needs/determination.
This might be a good project for someone on the forum in case Hb does not want to do this...
Chuck

The problem with having this automatic checklist Chuck is that it would have to be tied to a database on the website and we don’t have a place for such a thing right now.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 04:29:13 PM »
Could someone please explain one more time what clearance should I provide to prevent blocking
HDSI transducer signals? Maybe you have some pictures illustrating that?
PS I haven’t found anything about it in my 798ci manual (I have 798ci+HDSI transducer) and I’m afraid that I may face some issues when using my 798 (transom mount) with my inflatable boat and 15 horsepower Mercury.

For the HDSi transducer you want at least six inches - seven would be better.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 06:38:04 PM »
The problem with having this automatic checklist Chuck is that it would have to be tied to a database on the website and we don’t have a place for such a thing right now.

I still think this is something HB should look into.  You know, kinda like a full service shop...
Well, there is always next years budget.

Chuck

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 10:05:11 PM »
HB could atlest do a network board display like all other MFG do in the stores!  >:(  Roddy
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Offline CHOOhonets

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 03:47:31 AM »
Thank you for your replies!
Do you mean that i should somehow place the transducer 7 inches below the lowest part of the motor, which means 7 icnhes below the propeller? In my case the transducer should be placed more than a foot below the transom :o?

Offline Rüdiger

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 04:30:07 AM »
Hey  :D

I think, the best way for permanetmounting is, two thru the hull transducer and one side imagning splitter cabele.
Best but not the cheapest.

mvh
Rüdiger

Offline CHOOhonets

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 05:44:56 AM »
The problem is that it's impossible to make it thru-hull on the inflatable boat or anytime I use my 798 in a portable way (on multiple boats) :P
Plus I already purchased an HDSI transducer ::)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:50:10 AM by CHOOhonets »

Offline Rüdiger

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 12:59:39 PM »
Hey CHOOhonets  :D

Yes, thru hull on a inflatable it's not a real good idea. :-[
For portable use can a simple towfish be a better way.

Mvh
Rüdiger

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 01:24:38 PM »
I think anytime a person is going to be dishing out the kind of money involved for these complicated sonars, they really need to do their homework first.  Do some research and ask some questions.  I don't see how Humminbird can possibly know of every type of boat/motor and installation type they are going to run into.  Humminbird has a frequently ask questions (FAQ) section on their website.  A potential buyer should read through it thoroughly before purchasing a unit.

Caveat emptor - Let the buyer beware.

Offline sneakypete

• Unit(s): 798 ci si
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 05:07:20 PM »
Yup, one of the boats I plan to use my new 798 on is an inflatable.  I hadn't even considered the transducer mounting issue before I bought the thing.  That wouldn't have changed things though...

To the "pipe bolted to the transom - 6" below the prop" folks:

Really???  A solid pipe bolted to the transom and hanging WAY below the boat???  Wouldn't that just be asking to rip your transom right out of the boat???  How many transducers a week is a guy supposed to afford???

There HAS to be a better way...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo