Author Topic: Multiple forum issues N 1 - Software testing is the KEY to Success...  (Read 4119 times)

Offline BassMeUp

• Unit(s): 1197 SI / 797 SI
  • Accessories: Interlink
I had run into a few issues trying to reload W/R/T during this latest release 6.180 (on a 1197 SI) and had to keep reverting back to an older 5.## software version/release due to a constant/automatic unit reboot when trying to access my W/R/T screen.

My process:
Revert to factory default.
Load 5.## software
Load 6.180 software
(Everything running great)
Load W/R/T.. (load confirmed)
When trying to access the W/R/T screen using the Right Arrow, the unit makes a POP sound, then reboots.

Now, revert to factory default.
Load 5.## software
Load 6.180 software
(Everything running great, again)
Load W/R/T, one by one until unit did not accept one..POP, Reboot, that is....
Re-did the process again, up till that point and now everything running great..
It seem the new software has issues with previous/modified W/R/T causing the unit to fail...
Now I have to figure out why and what's wrong with some W/R/T... Even though Humminbird PC accepts them and allows the transfer... Odd....

The most oddest thing I found is that you can actually load W/R/T in the Demo mode which will not be visible in the Normal mode... Even though these 2 options are different they still use the units internal memory and if there is no separation of internal memory usage then both use the same unit memory, which will reduce your total available memory...

People who are doing the testing are familiar with the unit(s) which is why they cannot find some of our major issues... To truly test a new software/program the user (tester) needs to pretend they know nothing about the unit OR be a very fast button pusher, which both scenarios can cause failure... Which can then be programmable trapped, analyzed and resolved...

In short, if you know how it works, what a selection does, what selection causes other programmatically functions then you know what you are going to do next, taking your time, making sure you pick the correct key/button, perfectly...

A good example of this (testing issue) is like my 1197 which still has an ongoing issue with "high-humid" locations, be it in the West, Central or  East Texas... Humminbird Customer service was very concerned about this issue in the beginning and sent me a new unit without question... Plus, they did several extended (24 hour) test simulating several types of weather conditions... In my constant request, which I would say never happened, I asked them to use a mister to truly simulate a "high-humid" location and in the same manner I had issues... As follows:

1. Take it out of a cool (75 deg) non-humid room, like an Office (a motel).
2. Take it into a Cold weather environment like outdoors (it was Winter at that time)
3. Into a "high-humid" location (using a good Water Mister)

My new unit and older replaced unit had/has the following issue during the above conditions, in Texas:
 The power turns on, buttons flash, but the unit has no backlight making me (the user) believe the unit was not working properly and repeatedly turning Off the On, with the same results over and over... With no working unit available, the tournament started, using my eyes for navigation I continuously turned On and Off the unit for about 3 to 5 minutes until the unit came on.....WOW.... Luckily, one day I had a flashlight in hand during the initial power-up with again, no backlight, and saw something intriguing. It was the initial start-up screen waiting for my response, Exit button, which also noticed (Duh) the lights on the buttons were also on, and NO it was not the screen brightness...

I was able to simulate this same issue in my garage which is where the attached 2 pictures were taken... You can barely see the VOLTs (12.7) in one picture (backlight not working) and clearly see the VOLTs (12.7) in the second picture (backlight working)... Notice the unit buttons are lit...

If you ever have had this issue, use a flashlight to determine the results, then notify HB since they have never heard of this issue... Odd to me as it can be found on the internet using multiple key words as people never use the same terminology to explain experiences (to HB), or may not know what to do next except for complain... Then later they may say, "LOOK it's working again" the forget about the issue till next time, after their warranty runs out... Then they need to buy a new unit...or...do they?

Testing is the KEY to Customer Service, not quick Hello's and how may I help you... Yes, they have been good to me in the past but really need to understand the true meaning of TESTING....

Offline Gattlin

• Walking the shores of Galillee
  • Zebco 202 Musky hunters club:P
  • Unit(s): 898C SI & 858C Combo
  • Accessories: Lakemaster chips, Ethernet
Re: Multiple forum issues N 1 - Software testing is the KEY to Success...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:24:46 AM »
  Hmm Out of just plain plain curiosity do you have a weather sense or something along those lines? The only reason I ask is because you did say "High Humidy" Just wondering is all.:/
Just one last cast.

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 08:03:28 AM »
Yea,
I think that Humminbird makes a lot of assumptions on their updates.
Trying to add or improve something in one area can unfortunately lead to
negatively affecting things in other areas.  As most of us have probably
experienced.

Another problem is this.  With the addition of more software and more accessories,
these things will use up more system resources and eventually slow down the units.
Unfortunately, we can't send our machines in and get more memory or a faster
processor installed.

This whole scenario of constantly adding more features and more accessories
is doomed to failure, because it will require a heck of a lot more testing by Humminbird,
which I don't think that they are prepared to do at this point.  It has to be an extremely complicated job to test out everything on each model when a new update and/or accessory becomes available.

Unfortunately, the customers will suffer the most, with machines that used to work well,
and now have problems.  Updates now scare me.

Offline LittleGazoo

• Unit(s): SOLIX 15 G2, SOLIX 12 G2
  • Software: 3.640
  • Accessories: Ethernet
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »
Hey BassMeUp,

You were not specific to your W/R/T problems, so probably not related, but:

I had issues with my 1197/998 when i upgraded to Humminbird software releases that had Waypoint Management System.  Humminbird support responded that the track data format changed with WMS.
My waypoints would load, but tracks from Boatlanes and GpsLakeMaps would not load or would result in unit crashes from WMS.

I had to take Lowarance .USR files and convert them back into HumminbirdPC GPX files(which I'm guessing FORCED a reformat).

Here is a link:
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=3689.msg22775#msg22775

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo