Author Topic: Cool Idea?  (Read 11098 times)

Offline Submaster

• Unit(s): 898c HD SI
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Navionics Platinum East
Cool Idea?
« on: May 09, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »
Here's a cool idea; some outboard motors have a hydraulic jack plate that moves the motor vertical through the water column. Why not a miniature version that is electric operated that you can mount a transducer to so it can be moved vertical through the water column.  Have a digital or analog readout at the boat console that gives indication of where the transducer is located.   When at scan speeds, you lower to max level and clear all interference, when it's time to get on plane, raise it.   This totally eliminates "where do I mount my transducer" questions.  If anything like this already exists, where do I buy it?
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies.

Offline matt@reefmaster

• Unit(s): 997
  • Software: 4.75
Re: Cool Idea?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 04:19:29 PM »
Could be interesting! Maybe you could make something out of a trim-tab actuator? I run Lenco's on my boat - I would guess that there is 2-3" of movement top to bottom in my actuators, which is probably enough?
ReefMaster - Waypoint Management and Underwater Mapping Software for Fishermen

Offline MTBob

• MTBob
  • Unit(s): HB 998c
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:15:26 AM »
I think this may be a bit of overkill, but...
Check out this website - lots of linear actuators.  http://progressiveautomations.com/
An example of an actuator that is 12v and apparently water proof http://progressiveautomations.com/mini-linear-actuators-mini-linear-actuator-stroke-size-force-lbs-speed-118sec-p-44.html#!tab1
Using this actuator would require some kind of track mount on the transom to hold the transducers, perhaps a pair of ball bearing drawer slides mounted vertically.  For sure, this will cost some money to construct... and, is it worth it?

Offline Submaster

• Unit(s): 898c HD SI
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Navionics Platinum East
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:52:22 PM »
Maybe pricey...but, some guys have their transducers mounted on the step.  :P  This leaves the transducer in an extremely vulnerable position: 1. You can't get a full range kick up. 2. If you are in shallow water bass fishing, like I frequently am, then a wayward log stands more a of a chance to beat up the ducer.  :'(  Those transducers are up around $250.00.   A vertical mounting option would allow the ducer to be moved up while shallow and then extended down for scanning and even running on plane.  Plus and a big plus, it eliminates where to mount it, because it would not matter. 

That motor looks interesting...wonder what kind of mounting brackets it comes with.  You would need slide rails like a drawer; however, they have to be water proof or it's a no go.  You could use PTFE bearings in a slide rail, that would be water proof.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies.

Offline MTBob

• MTBob
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 10:17:43 AM »
Submaster
I looked into the actuators a bit more and found that there is a wide variety of them (12 volt) and they come in water proof casings.  They could be controlled with a variable position dial or positional toggle switch.  If you are interested in pursuing this, and if we can come up with an effective design, I have a hobby machine shop (lathe, mill, welding, etc) and could possible fabricate it.  It would need to be a 2013/14 winter project.  Feel fee to PM me if you want to discuss this further (I'm not looking for business, this is a hobby for me).
Bob

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 11:06:16 AM »
This is a neat idea, but the major problem I see
with it: Is if you forget to raise it, and hit something,
then it would most likely damage/bend the
apparatus to a point that it would be unuseable.
It would probably be expensive to replace/repair.
You probably couldn't use your transducer correctly
again until you got the apparatus fixed.

Offline matt@reefmaster

• Unit(s): 997
  • Software: 4.75
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 11:24:53 AM »
I'd still be tempted to run with a trim tab actuator like this one http://www.ebay.com/bhp/lenco-trim-tab-actuator. Built for the purpose of sticking on the back of boats - salt or fresh - and really pretty much bullet proof, plus a decent stroke of over 2". Could you not just fabricate something to attach the transducer firmly to the bottom bracket, and then just fix the actuator vertically to the transom? That would seem a less complicated setup than a rail arrangement, if the actuator were strong enough to handle it.
matt
ReefMaster - Waypoint Management and Underwater Mapping Software for Fishermen

Offline MTBob

• MTBob
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 11:48:59 AM »
I'd still be tempted to run with a trim tab actuator like this one http://www.ebay.com/bhp/lenco-trim-tab-actuator. Built for the purpose of sticking on the back of boats - salt or fresh - and really pretty much bullet proof, plus a decent stroke of over 2". Could you not just fabricate something to attach the transducer firmly to the bottom bracket, and then just fix the actuator vertically to the transom? That would seem a less complicated setup than a rail arrangement, if the actuator were strong enough to handle it.
matt

Great comment!  Perhaps this issue could be overcome by designing some kind of break away mechanism, say on the component that held the transducer below the bottom of the boat.  Just a thought.

Offline MTBob

• MTBob
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »
Great comment!  Perhaps this issue could be overcome by designing some kind of break away mechanism, say on the component that held the transducer below the bottom of the boat.  Just a thought.
matt

Looks like a great actuator.  Part of the design consideration would be to keep the transducer(s) in the same vertical and horizontal position as they raise & lower in the water.  The trim tab pivot hinge would need to have some sort of mounting mechanism to keep the transducer(s) at the proper angle.  Right now I don't have a good solution for that using the trim tabs.  Perhaps some kind of parallelogram swing arms.  But, in any case, as said in an earlier post, when set below the bottom of the boat, the transducer(s) and support mechanism would need to snap up when hit by an object (an eventual certainty).
Bob

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo