Author Topic: HELP!!!  (Read 2843 times)

Offline TapOut64

HELP!!!
« on: June 17, 2010, 04:35:50 PM »
I am trying to perform the bootstrap operation but my computer does not recognize my 997.  Under device manager I have an exclamation mark next to my USB serial controller.  When I plugged it in it was asking for drivers which I cannot find.  Any idea how to remedy this?  Thanks

Offline TapOut64

Re: HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 05:43:05 PM »
Well, a quick search online convinced me that you need to have drivers for a usb-serial adapter cable.  I called the company that made the cable and they said you didn't so I went out and bought a different cable that came with an install disc that included drivers.  Everything is looking good at the moment and I am uploading the new software.  I will be returning the first cable tomorrow.

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
Re: HELP!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 07:18:31 PM »
You need drivers for the USB PCI card not the usb cable.  Cables don't need software drivers.

Talking about a regular USB cable that connects to the PCI usb card or USB port on the computer and some external hardware. 

A SDHC card reader connects to the computer via a USB port.

An external hard drive connects to the computer via a usb port. 

A Wacom table connects to the computer via a usb port. 

The SDHC reader, the external hard drive and wacom tablet needs device drivers, but the usb cord or usb cable does not need any device drivers. 

Some older computers didn't come with built in USB ports but they did have PCI slot on the motherboards.  So you can add a PCI card that has USB connections onto the mother board.  My 1990 Dell Computer only had two usb 1.0 ports on the tower.  So I added a pci card to the motherboard's pci slot and it gave me 4 USB 2.0 slots on the back of my computer. I had to add software drivers for this PCI card before it would work.  This is what you found in your device manager with the yellow question mark beside it. 

The PCI card came with software drivers that you install before you physicall add the pci board to the computer.  That way the drivers are there when the hardware is installed and windows finds it and calls for the software drivers.

So when they told you that the usb cable doesn't need drivers they were technically correct.

Sometimes the terninology gets confusing and we don't get the answers we seek when we don't use the right word in the question.  I think from what I read that this is what has happened.

Anyway it sounds like you got things squared away.  That's good. 

PS: are you using a serial cable or a usb cable?  There is a big difference between the two. 

I use a Garmin eTrex Vista GPS unit that connected to my computer's SERIAL port on the back of my computer.  I also have two USB v 1.0 ports on my Dell Dimension XPS T550 computer. 

I am not sure but I think that Humminbird sells a Serial cable that connects to the Humminbird's SI control head and then the other end connects to a computer's serial port.  Is that what you are using?  If so Windows should have drivers for a serial port already included in the Windows OS.  Which Windows OS are you using.  OS = operation system.  Example Windows XP home or Windows Vista or Windows 7 Home or Windows 7 Professional. 

You don't see too many new computers coming with a built in serial port anymore.  But perhaps you have a PCI card that has a serial port on it?  Not sure they can do that or not.  But maybe that's what you are talking about.  If that's the case then the PCI card should have device drivers that comes with the hardware.   

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 07:25:11 PM by Moose1am »
Regards,

Moose1am

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal