Author Topic: 1198 c SI thru the hull mount for an aluminum boat  (Read 10515 times)

Offline bobby

• Unit(s): 1198 c Si & 997 c Si & X-17 LM
  • Software: 5.2
  • Accessories: weather sense, XM, live well water temp
1198 c SI thru the hull mount for an aluminum boat
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:22:03 PM »
I have been frustrated with the ability to get bottom readings at speed, not detail just bottom lock, and not satisfied with the spray I get from a quad beam transom mount at water level.  I just purchased the  XPTH 9 HDSI 180 T  for my 1198 c SI and in the guidance it appears to be the only thru hull mounted transducer.  I really don't want the si under the hull due to it's size but HB customer service says that is the only one that will work? True or false?  So if it is the only one anyone ever had success with this mount on the rear bottom of an 18 foot lund?

Offline MonteSS

Re: 1198 c SI thru the hull mount for an aluminum boat
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:36:42 PM »
Through the hull transducers will not work (shoot through) aluminum.

....Bill

Offline xSilmarilSx

• Unit(s): HB 798ci SI HD - HB 778c Quad Beam
  • Software: 6.250 - 5.320
  • Accessories: TG W, NMEA Cable, Ethernet
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 03:52:11 AM »
If you want a solution for your water spray problem, just find a small piece (like 6x6 inches) of 1/16" aluminum plate and fasten it just above your transducer, covering it completely. So the water will be contained by this little "guard"

Should look good on a aluminum boat, and around 10-20$ and a couple of minutes to rig!

Offline bobby

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:19:51 AM »
Thanks for the comments, I was referring to thru hull as opposed to shoot thru.  The aluminum would work, thanks for the ideas. I have used marine goop in the transducer slot to keep the spray from shooting straight up but it still creates a pretty good spray.  If I don't find any other people who have taken the jump to drilling a 1 inch hole in the hull of their 26,000 dollar boat I may use the aluminum plate as an interim measure.

Offline reddog

• My pictures
  • Unit(s): 2)997 C SI, 788CI, 787C2, 1197 1198
  • Accessories: Ipilot Link
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 02:16:10 PM »
Bobby,

Why dont you post a picture of your transducer location.
I have a 1750 Crestliner with a HDSI 10 T mounted on mine, and with a bit of tweaking, I'm able to get speed readings up to almost 40. Even SI readings. 

Hate to see her go, but love to watch her leave.

Offline bobby

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 03:11:11 PM »
Will do, I'll post it tomarrow.  Is yours even with the bottom of the boat and just off center? Do you get splash from yours

Offline reddog

• My pictures
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 08:34:05 PM »
I get a little kickup, but not bad..

Offline bobby

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »
The picture shows the Si and quad transducers. You would think the SI which is mounted higher wouldn't spray as much but it will put up a three foot geyser and nothing from the quad.  I put sealent in the gap between the transducer and the mount and that helped allot but it still jets up on the aft side of it. At any rate I ordered a thru hull but not to sure I want to cut a hole in the bottom of the boat just yet.  Thanks for the pics and the screen capture, perhaps I should consider repositioning.  The other thing I was concerned about was the tree and stump damage to the SI

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 08:55:37 AM »
Bobby,
Are you using the QuadraBeam transducer for 2D sonar readings?  If so, than I would move the HDSi transducer upwards if you are worried about hitting sumps with it.  If you do though you need to think about mounting one of the transducers on the other side of the boat as the QuadraBeam transducer will block some of the right Si sonar in its present position.  An option may be to stand the HDSi transducer off the transom with something so that it is behind the QuadraBeam (if you were looking straight downwards from overhead).  Not sure of the gap you have between the motor and transom though as the motor may than block the left Si sonar… May be better just to locate one of the transducers on the opposite side of the motor to lessen the amount of sonar that is blocked.

If you do not have any problems with the Si sonar being blocked where the transducer is now (or even if you move it up a few inches or so for protection) than I would not consider the Thru-Hull XPTH-9-HDSi-180-T transducer.  If you just really want a Thru-Hull transducer to try, than get a less expensive 2D only transducer like the XTH-9-20-T DualBeam transducer and use the AS-Si-DB-Y cable to connect it and your current HDSi transducer to your 1198c Si unit.

A few other options that you may want to explore (these have had limited success on different boats):
 - Try repositioning the transducer you are now using for 2D sonar readings.  Those Lunds have a bunch of rivets under them, try to position the transducer so that it will be between these rows of rivets.
 - Install a standoff block for your 2D sonar transducer so that it gets the transducer a few inches behind the transom and maybe into cleaner (air bubble free) water.  The downside of this is that it would block a little more of the Si sonar so I recommend doing this on the opposite side of the boat.
 - Try one of the smaller Stick-On transducers (XSO-9-20-T).  These mount by double-sided adhesive tape under the hull and hold on pretty well.

With a riveted hull aluminum boat it is sometimes impossible to get a high-speed depth reading due to the air bubbles that come off of all of those rivets.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline bobby

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 11:17:14 AM »
Thanks very much for the feedback and responses - As to the QuadraBeam transducer for 2D sonar readings? Yes I am

The HDSi transducer has to be below the other transducer in my understanding or it will block the SI transmission.  I had mounted it higher to 1. protect it and 2. reduce the spray however it definitely would lose bottom lock underway.  So I purchased the other transducer and put it down it the water stream and if I switch to it under way I get a better bottom lock but as you said, the bubbles and disturbed water from the rivits creates a challenge.  I could see on your picture that you have a smooth finish ion the bottom of your boat which I'm sure makes the water much cleaner.  For these reason I thought to go thru the hull more forward on the hull and where the water is cleaner due to less rivet induced transmission reflection.

With regard to a differnt thru hull transducer - That was was my thought as well, however for the 1198 c Si customer service told me the XTH-9-20-T DualBeam transducer would not work? In fact it is not in the accessory section for that unit.  If he was wrong I will return the SI thru hull I purchased, remove the quadra beam one and raise the SI

Offline reddog

• My pictures
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 11:47:15 PM »
Hard to believe youre gettting spray from that setup. How big is the boat and how big is the motor.  Top end?

It appears that you are centered in a set of rivets in the hull, although that wouldnt have anything to do with the spray.

I dont think in that location, that you will ever  get any high speed reading from the HDSI ducer.

Common knowledge (in the past) was to tilt the xducer down slightly to wash the water over the surface.

Mine is perfecly in a plane with the bottom of the boat, or at least as close as it can be given the steep  deadrise in the hull.  Its kinda split in the center of the xducer.

Im gone fishin for a few days.  Keep moving it around, is about all I have to say.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo