Author Topic: HumViewer 788ci HD DI Playback  (Read 7277 times)

Offline TheSavant

• Unit(s): 788ci HD DI
HumViewer 788ci HD DI Playback
« on: March 08, 2015, 11:38:56 AM »
Hello- I've searched the form looking for a solution to this, but didn't see anything similar.

I have a 788ci HD DI unit and I am wanting to playback recordings on my PC.  Went out and made some recordings, open them in HumViewer, but I am experiencing some issues.  I suspect that these are because this is not a SI unit. 

When I upload the file it tells me "something seems to be wrong..." should contain XYZ seconds...but only contains only X seconds"

When I hit OK it displays the recording, 2D Sonar is fine, but is taking the DI and applying it to the SI Star view.  Down image view is blank.  This is usable,  when I have 2D on the left, and SI STAR on right, but the orientation  for the SI STAR (my down image) is vertical while the 2d is horizontal (like below).

Question is is there a way to fix this, or should I be using a different piece of software for my unit?  I did try the HBSI converter (trying to use yellowfiin) but received a HBSI Sonar Data File Converter (R00002.son) "Unhanded exception....Index out of range" error.

Thank in advance for the help!

-Keith
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 11:42:40 AM by TheSavant »

Offline Bayou Basser

• Unit(s): 899ci HD SI, Helix 5 SI
  • Software: 7.650, 7.730
  • Accessories: None
Re: HumViewer 788ci HD DI Playback
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 04:07:41 PM »
Keith, I believe if you right click on the right side of the screen a menu box will appear.  You can select "View" and it will give you the option to select SI both, SI port, SI starboard, DI and etc.  You can do this for each view on the screen.  Just right click on that image.

You can "play" with all of the menu items and adjustments also.

Bayou Basser

Offline TheSavant

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 05:04:05 PM »
Keith, I believe if you right click on the right side of the screen a menu box will appear.  You can select "View" and it will give you the option to select SI both, SI port, SI starboard, DI and etc.  You can do this for each view on the screen.  Just right click on that image.

You can "play" with all of the menu items and adjustments also.

Bayou Basser

Thanks, you are correct- but when I select Down Image nothing shows up.  I can only see the Down Image  when I have SI Star selected (and then it runs vertical instead of Horizontal like the 2D image)

So on the above image that isn't a side scan image on the right, it is my down image viewed as SI Star (the only way it will show up)

Offline Bayou Basser

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 06:09:30 PM »
Try right clicking on the sonar screen and change it to DI and see what happens.  I'll play with mine in the mean time.

BB

Offline TheSavant

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 07:49:26 PM »
Whether I click-->view--> Down Image on the right or left side, I get blank / nothing...

From View menu-

2D Down- get sonar view
SI Star- get Down Image (orientated vertically)
SI Port- Nothing
SI Both- Get Down Image on Right 1/2 (Starboard) and Nothing on left 1/2 (port)
Down Image- Nothing
2D Trackplot- get track.

Offline Bayou Basser

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 09:03:49 PM »
Keith, I'm sorry but I don't have a clue.  Go to the General Discussion section of the Forum and click on New Topic and ask your question.  That way many more people will see it and view it.  The reason I say this is because being posted in this section (topics about Humviewer) it's not subject to as much traffic.

Good Luck, BB 

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 02:53:51 PM »
I really don't think Humviewer will show the DI unit recording correctly ...

Humviewer is reading the separate (and inclusive) channels that the HB SI unit recorded to the SD Card... And then processing and displaying each channel's data into the correct displayed image format (as outlined to correspond to images in a HB SI unit) ...

When one loads a HB recording into Humviewer ... There are popup notifications about the channels being loaded into the Humviewer program ...
*B1 is the 83kHz channel
*B2 is the 200kHz channel
*B3 is the left SI channel
*B4 is the right SI channel

The right SI channel (wire) in the HB SI unit physically lines up correctly to connect to the DI piezo of a connected HB dedicated DI xducer ... See our experiments here ...
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=5388.0

It is very possible that Humviewer is recognizing the DI channel in the 788 DI with the same label as "what Humviewer thinks" is a connected HB SI unit ... B4 = right SI

So Humviewer may be saying ... "This data in this HB channel (B4 = right SI) is from a right SI piezo in a HB XHS 9 HDSI 180 T xducer ... Therefore I (Humviewer) should process and display this data as a "right SI image" ...
-----
Furthermore ... Martin knows the DI image in a HB SI unit is computer generated from the left and right SI piezo data ...

So I would assume Humviewer takes the data from the B3 = left SI channel and the B4 = right SI channel ...and processes those 2 channel's data together to render a "DI from SI" image ... And could be saying "I don't have B3 = left SI channel data ...so I (Humviewer) can't process a "DI from SI" rendering DI image ... 

Without Martin's own definition of how his program works ... I'm just guessing ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:21:27 PM by rnvinc »

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 03:13:09 PM »
I think the right SI data you are seeing in the Humviewer SI pane is correct DI data from your 788 DI xducer ... It's just turned 90° from what you are "Used to seeing" as a DI image ...

The most current "Live" data in any SI image is the top row of pixels ... If you turn this SI image (you are seeing in Humviewer) 90° clockwise ... The "Live" data row of pixels is now on the right = the correct orientation for DI images that you are "Used to seeing" ...

So the right SI image you are seeing in Humviewer is most likely correct DI Data ... Just not in the regular (scrolling right to left) "DI" orientation you see in your 788 DI unit ... It's more like "DI turned sideways" ... (scrolling top to bottom) ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:23:31 PM by rnvinc »

Offline TheSavant

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 08:23:06 PM »
I think the right SI data you are seeing in the Humviewer SI pane is correct DI data from your 788 DI xducer ... It's just turned 90° from what you are "Used to seeing" as a DI image ...

The most current "Live" data in any SI image is the top row of pixels ... If you turn this SI image (you are seeing in Humviewer) 90° clockwise ... The "Live" data row of pixels is now on the right = the correct orientation for DI images that you are "Used to seeing" ...

So the right SI image you are seeing in Humviewer is most likely correct DI Data ... Just not in the regular (scrolling right to left) "DI" orientation you see in your 788 DI unit ... It's more like "DI turned sideways" ... (scrolling top to bottom) ...

Rickie

Thanks Rickie- I think that is exactly what is happening.  Is there another viewer software package that I should be using (that would correctly display the sonar / Down Image)?

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 10:35:59 PM »
Thanks Rickie- I think that is exactly what is happening.  Is there another viewer software package that I should be using (that would correctly display the sonar / Down Image)?

Not that I know of for a HB dedicated DI unit ...

If I had a HB DI unit ... I would use Humviewer and turn my PC monitor 90° and watch it anyway ...

The data is there ...

I would doubt that waypoint marking in the 1/2 SI pane would be accurate ...

Rickie

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 11:15:59 PM »
I was mistaken in the channel designations of the HB recording ...

B0000 is the 83kHz
B0001 is the 200kHz
B0002 is the left SI
B0003 is the right SI

I was reviewing some Humviewer recordings and noticed the B0000 was not loading in some of my recordings ...

This is because I try to remember to shut off the 83kHz when recording to make the file size smaller ... Thus, no B0000 to load into Humviewer ...

Rickie

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:18:13 PM by rnvinc »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo