Side Imaging Forums > 987c SI and 981c SI

987c SI Transducer Issues

<< < (2/2)

rnvinc:

--- Quote from: Ravyak on November 26, 2015, 06:02:41 PM ---I figured I would cut this thing open to see if there was any way to fix it and because I was curious of what was inside.

Definitely no way to fix it lol.

I was told the replacement transducer is XHS 9 HDSI 180 T but since I wouldn't have the 800 capability wouldn't the XNT 9 SI 180 T work just as well? It is cheaper and lighter and I thought the 800 frequency was the main difference.

--- End quote ---

Your 987c SI came stock with the XHS 9 SI 160 T (83kHz/200kHz 2d and 262kHz/455kHz SI) ...

You are correct that your 987 will not transmit the 800kHz SI frequency to utilize the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T ...

If you cannot find a used XHS 9 SI 160 T ... You are also correct your next best choice would be the XNT 9 SI 180 T (83kHz/200kHz 2d and 455kHz SI) ...

Contrary to specs ...it is possible to transmit your 987's SI at 262kHz thru either the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T and the XNT 9 SI 180 T ... It just will not give very good results because the SI piezoes are are not designed to vibrate efficiently at 262kHz ...

Rickie

ITGEEK:
Damn Ravyak,
You are either really brave, or really crazy.
Which is it? :)

Ravyak:

--- Quote from: ITGEEK on November 27, 2015, 12:12:08 PM ---Damn Ravyak,
You are either really brave, or really crazy.
Which is it? :)

--- End quote ---

Really inquisitive lol, and it was broken so nothing to lose.

Not sure if that stuff is all safe to breathe though so I won't do it again or encourage others to try.

49thdiver:

--- Quote from: Ravyak on November 26, 2015, 06:02:41 PM ---I figured I would cut this thing open to see if there was any way to fix it and because I was curious of what was inside.

Definitely no way to fix it lol.

--- End quote ---
Certainly not now. With a bit more care it is possible.
I have used a dremel and cut away the strain relief area very carefully exposing the wires then splicing a new connection followed with sika flex and epoxy to seal it back up. It's very time consuming and indeed as you said there may be nasty stuff in there so do it with a mask and lots of fresh air, definetly not in your home.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version