Side Imaging Forums > What is Side Imaging Technology?

Side Imaging Understanding Distances and more......

<< < (2/8) > >>

sonar2000:
I think you will be ok with out it.  lol   the area of question is really small and  with the DI views we are looking at the bottom and using the two screen display we are looking at the undern the boat bottom with DI.  Math makes my small brain hurt so I wont wish that on anyone .   however I do have a small excel program calculator that figures the (possible) missed coverage under the boat on SI.   all you have to do is enter your depth.  It will give you the cone at that depth.  Heck if it indeed exists we can always add a behind the boat outrigger to compliment our side outriggers.  chuck

Stymie:
A fella on another forum has pulled a similar document out but is discounting the DI showing what's under the boat part. 

Still interesting.  It seems that every day, my assumptions of this technology are challenged and I learn new things.

RGecy:
Stymie,

They can challenge all they want!  As they say, the proof is in the pudding!  I have documented several instances personally where the SI coverage at 455khz shows directly beneath the boat, and long before Down Imaging was even around! 

Robert

Kimi:
Im no engineer, but there is something that is not matching here!  :o
If you look at my picture bellow, you can see the waves on the surface. The cursor mark is on the wreck, that is laying 61, 7 m from the keel-line to the left. And I know for sure that the rocks on the right síde is about 140-200m south of the wreck. If the thinny white line betwean the "blind area" and the visible area should be the keel-line, all the mesurements would not be relevant. The wreck was marked with two bouys at the moment, one on each end. And I navigated useing to GPS systems, one of them was a chartplotter. I also got a papermap of this old divesite, so I know how it should look like.

If you would cut away the "blind/black area", and that is what you should do, if you seriously means that there are no "blind sector" in this picture.

In that case the distans betwean the wreck and the rocks should be only about 30-40m. That should be great! Because then we could anchor our boats on the underwater rocks, where we could get a wery good grip for the anchor, and we could dive down to wreck from there. But the distance is more than that, so we have to dropp the anchor on the wreck.

Still very sceptic...Kimi   ::)

sonar2000:
I have just been corrected on the DI.       This is a display using the 455khz SI freq and not the 2d 200 khz as earlier stated .  maybe my one cell brain is over worked.  ok. back to the school books and what ever else I can find.  Chuck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version