General > Humminbird In the News

Humminbird to Launch TRUE Down Imaging for 2011!

<< < (7/8) > >>

Humminbird_Greg:
Sorry Bob, I meant a two element system not two transducers.
What are you looking for information-wise with multiple transducer usage?  Are you wanting to connect multiple transducers to a 798 or 898 unit?  Most folks that do this are using an inside-the-hull 2D transducer for higher speed depth readings and just using the Si/Di sonar when they are off plane and moving slowly like Wayne P said.  The 798 and 898 both use transducers in the same manner.

It is possible to shoot through the hull of an aluminum boat but there is a lot of signal loss and distortion involved so it usually does not work very well although some have had success.  RadarSonics makes a product called the AlumaDucer that was designed for shooting through the hull of an aluminum boat but I would caution you that I have heard of more failures than successes with it.  This is due to the way that air bubbles flow across the aluminum boat hulls, so you would still have to be able to locate the AlumaDucer in an area that is free of air bubbles.

Bob B:
Thanks for all the good info guys.

Ranchdip:
FIRST POST HERE.  I'm about as green as they come in regard to SI so please be kind.  lol!  I hope these questions are okay to post in this particualr thread.

Anyway, I've been doing some research in regard to the different images that both Lowrance and Hummingbird offer in regard to SI.  I have a few questions:

1.  Is this new DI unit better than Lowrance's down image?

2.  Can the newer imaging DI technology be used with existing newer units like the 989csi or the 1197csi by buying the new DI xducer?

3.  I was seriously thinking about buying a 1197cSI instead of the HDS10 w/LSS1 because of cost... However, I won't purchase the Hummingbird if the image quality of the scanned image isn't up to par with Lowrance's offering.  IS technology on the way via a xducer & software update for the current high-end Hummingbird models that would compete with Lowrance?

Please don't flame me!  I've seen many side by side images of the different units and I honestly believe IMO that Lowrance has the upper hand in regards to image detail.

Thanks so much!

Humminbird_Greg:
I don’t reply to “us vs. them” posts and cannot comment about future hardware/software updates (unless the information has already been released to the public), but I will comment on question #2:

The 898c Si, 998c Si and 1197c Si units are set up to use two Si sonar beams to make the Di images that you see.  Using the new single beam Di transducer would be taking a step backwards technology wise as a single beam Di sonar unit is uncapable of giving directional information.  All you know is that the fish/structure was under the transducer and within XX number of feet of the transducer.  By using a two element system you can determine whether the object was to the right or left of the transducer or even directly underneath the transducer due to it’s Si sonar capability.  Why would you want to give that up?

By the way, the new single beam Di sonar is only being offered on products that cost less than our least expensive Si/Di sonar unit (798).

DougV:
Check out these Images from 1197c....

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=600830

Here's the Images from Mike Bucca:

Took these from this morning..  Notice how these fish are over a channel in every shot.  Very typical for my lake.  They relate to the channel as structure even though they are suspending above it.  Crisp enough??   :wink:

Need better than this and this is with current 1197c technology???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version