Author Topic: Transom Mount HDSI vs Plastic Thru Hull HDSI  (Read 893 times)

Offline Swann

• The word IF is only 2 Letters But over 3miles Long
  • Unit(s): N/A
  • Software: N/A
  • Accessories: XNT9 QB90 Transducer
Transom Mount HDSI vs Plastic Thru Hull HDSI
« on: May 30, 2022, 01:33:45 PM »
Ok. So i'm reading about how people in general cannot get an XHS9 HDSI 180T 2yield good readings at anything more than 10mph & seems 2me (from what i've read), the problems seem 2narrow down to 3 main things (assuming the Transducer is in decent shape of course): 1>Steady Power Supply 2>Solid/Secure Fixture Mount 3>Prop Turbulence/Backwash... and Yes, although there can be several more than just the 3 aforementioned - Those 3 are Not always as quick 2solve as something along the lines of adjusting "Transducer angle/ overall squareness" or perhaps ascertaining that "the Transducer is in the water deep enuff" which can be quickly solved moreso via observation & subtle adjustments.
Now with that being said, it makes me wonder if the Compact XNT9 180SI T although Not having 800khz capability(s) would be able 2operate at near twice the speed(s) of the HDSI and lastly, seeing as i presently own Both of these Transducers, would be moreso a matter of myself getting my Butt out on the water & doing a little testing 2 C 4myself... Only 1 way 2 find out really... Perhaps i'm being a bit presumptuous & getting a little ahead of myself But an opportunity 2 pick up a Plastic Thru Hull HDSI has crossed my path & wondering if i should go fetch it before it's gone & hence my query as I found some1 selling some Plastic Thru Hull Transducers. My boat is a little Fibreglass Bowrider Fish/Ski & perhaps some1 on the Forum could lend me a little advice based on previous experience with this sort of thing?
PLS See attached Pics & let me know if this might be a better route 2 take by purchasing & installing these items. I know the 1 pic is a bit blurry But wondering IF these items would help me to Cover Water a little quicker than more Traditional Methods & hence the Title "Transom Mount HDSI vs Plastic Thru Hull HDSI"?
Thanks, Sandro (Swann)

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
  • Unit(s): 899CI SI HD,1199SI HD, Helix 12 SI GEN3
  • Software: current
  • Accessories: ALL, and a HW ducer for the Helix 12 2D
Re: Transom Mount HDSI vs Plastic Thru Hull HDSI
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 03:09:50 PM »
Do you trailer your boat. If you do, drilling a hole for a through hull transducer is not recommended because you risk hitting trailer roller and/or  bunks. Mount the 180T SI transducer on the transom and get the correct  splitter cable and run the proper  secondary 2D transducer for high speed operations.  The 180T SI transducer was NOT designed for speeds much over 10 mph and definitely NOT while the boat is on plane. 

Offline Swann

• The word IF is only 2 Letters But over 3miles Long
  • Unit(s): N/A
  • Software: N/A
  • Accessories: XNT9 QB90 Transducer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 05:42:43 PM »
Ok, i have what you describe as "the right" mounts & Transducers with proper 9M SI DB Y-Cable... basically what i described as more "traditional methods". So now, Ur saying that 4these Plastic Thru Transducers 2work (& yes of course i trailer the boat) that a slot is machined "thru" the hull of my boat (and hence the risk of hitting rollers or riders)? Is not possible to just "create a pocket" on the inside of the boat & the transducer is "nestled in" in order to "shoot thru" the remaining material? Thanks, Sandro.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 07:56:57 PM »
The thru hull xducers require a 1” hole drilled thru the hull (for the xducer “stem”)  ... then the remaining thickness of the xducer sticks below the hull  ...

As mentioned this is not recommended if the boat is trailered  ...

It is entirely possible to get the brick shaped SI xducers to read depth at speed  ... but it is challenging  ...

Some use a mounting board so that multiple holes for micro adjustments are not drilled in the transom itself  ...
https://www.kingplastic.com/products/king-starboard/

Rickie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo