Author Topic: Autochart Pro Error: Can't save map to card  (Read 6574 times)

Offline Esh

• Unit(s): 899 SI
  • Accessories: None
Autochart Pro Error: Can't save map to card
« on: April 08, 2016, 08:25:44 PM »
Hello,

I am having an issue with autochart pro and was looking for advice.  I can make a great looking map from my logs in the program but when I click update card, I get an "Error, the new area did not fit inside the current custom map".  This is the first and only map I am trying to make.

I have done a lot of reading on this error and have tried renaming the "AC" folder on the card to "AC1".  It will create a new "AC" folder then error again.  I never used the sample logs/tutorial.  I installed the software on another computer and it errors the same.  I have tried it dozens of times, and get the error each time. 

I emailed customer service with no answer, then called and spoke to them today.  After talking with them, I got the feeling they really don't have a deep understanding of the software.  They said they would look into it and call me.

Any other tips to get it to update to my card?  I hope it's not something like it won't work since I'm in Alaska.  I am running the North America zero lines card.

Thanks for any advice!

Offline CamoHunter

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI, 788ci HD, 788ci HD
  • Accessories: AutoChart Pro, Terrova 80 - iPilot Link
Re: Autochart Pro Error: Can't save map to card
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 05:49:07 PM »
Did you go through the tutorial in the program?  Each AC folder is limited in size to 600mi x 600mi, or something like that (can't remember exact size). 

Simply rename your AC folder, to AC1.  Create a new AC folder.  And try again in AutoChart.  It should work.

Offline Esh

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 05:54:04 PM »
Thanks, like I said above, I did that multiple times and no, I did not do the tutorial.

Offline Esh

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 07:23:45 PM »
Just a quick update... I spoke to humminbirds cartography Tech today and he is able to replicate my problem on multiple autochart cards and multiple computers. Sounds like the issue must somehow reside in my recordings or my Humminbird unit itself. They said they should be able to figure it out in a few more days

Offline CamoHunter

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 09:52:28 AM »
Sorry bout my first comment, guess I just read your first paragraph and played 'know-it-all'.   :-\

Anyways, I wonder if you have a couple of 'bad data points' or something that are way out of the U.S., and somehow it's thinking your map won't fit inside the area you've started. 

Want to try sending me your .acd files and see if I look at the data and get it to work on my card?  I could probably look at it tonight.

Offline Esh

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 10:03:58 PM »
Well, Camohunter took a look at the files and had the same problem.  It appears the issue is that Alaska is no longer part of North America according to Autochart.  Weird...

Offline CamoHunter

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 11:08:48 PM »
Might as well add this here.

Here's the message I sent Esh after I looked at his files and got the same error message:

I loaded your files into AutoChart, and they read fine.  I created a map, just as you did.  And when I tried to do the "Update Lakemaster", I got the same error message that you did.

However, I did notice something, and I think it is the root of the problem causing the error.

I noticed when I was zoomed in, the background map was very blurry, not like what I was used to seeing.  Therefore, while zoomed in, I panned the map to the east, and wouldn't you know it, when I got far enough to the east, the background map changed and was the detailed background map that I was used to seeing. 

If you want to see it for yourself, open AutoChart, right-click and click 'Map Here'.  Zoom in on your area, and pan the map to the east until you reach an area on the coast of Alaska named Starodubtsov Lake.  You should notice that everything east of that point is more detailed and shows dark blue water.  Everything west of that point is blurry and non-detailed. 

Therefore, my conclusion is that I think it is a mistake of the AutoChart program software designer, not knowing his "North American" geography.  I believe the program was written by a person in France, and it's quite possible he didn't extend the 'North American' background map far enough to the west to include most of Alaska.  That is why we're getting the error message that it doesn't fit inside the map area.

Hope that helps you with your battle, and feel free to copy and use this information while dealing with Humminbird.  Hopefully they can either get you a different version of the software that includes that area, or change something for you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo