Author Topic: Humminbird helping me catch more fish...  (Read 5950 times)

Offline Double Digit

• Unit(s): 998 c si...Navionics Platinum +
  • Software: 6.180
Humminbird helping me catch more fish...
« on: October 30, 2011, 04:58:44 PM »
Wednesday my wife and i got out Blackifishing again and this time we were able to fish in the sound.After scanning the bottom looking for a good spot i came across this huge boulder.We  set the anchor got right over it and dropped down some crabs.With in minutes my wife was into a huge tog drag screaming gets him to the top back to the bottom a good 4 times.I finally get him in the net a beautiful 9lb Blackfish the rest of the morning we caught blacks and porgy's it was an aw some day fishing....I love my Hum minbird.... ;D

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
Re: Humminbird helping me catch more fish...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 08:00:53 PM »
Very nice.
Congrats.

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 09:30:34 PM »
Nice.
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:21:41 AM »
Should I even ask what is for supper????????? ;D
Chuck

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 06:50:25 PM »
I have a very similar story but it's about crappie instead. I found this structure not more than 200 ft form the launch ramp and fished it for 30 minutes and caught 20 nice crappie on it.  I had seen it before but this time when I scanned in on Side Scan I saw a big school of fish. Tiny dots surrounding the structure.  It's a man made structure that was there when the coal mine stripped the coal out of this pit.   Some guys fishing on the bank saw me catching one crappie after anohter that afternoon.  They said that someone else in anohter boat had fished the same spot a hour or so before me and they were catching small crappie there.  They left and forgot to pick up their bouy and it was still there when I launched my boat. So I motored over to the spot to see if they had marked the structure that I knew was there.  The marker was right over the top of this structure. Now the vast majority of the bottom of this strip pit is barren so any fish will congregate over structure like this. It's 25 ft deep and the strcuture rises up about 8 to 10 ft above the bottom.  Also I found some wood that someone dumped in the area.  Pulled that up on my fishing line while fishing from the bank and casting out towards this spot. 

The guys that had left the bouy came back while I was fishing the other end of this pit and removed their bouy before I came back and fished this spot.  I had to relocate the spot again but it was easy to do with my 898 C SI unit. 

I predict that one day if everyone gets an SI type depth finder and learns to use them the State DNR's or game agency's may have to rewrite the regulations or change the fish limits to protect the species.

Buck Perry is right, 90% of the fish are in only 10% of the water and with these units we can more easily find those fish.  That means people can catch many more fish a lot faster these days than in the past.  In the past only those that really knew the lay of the land and where the fish hung out were able to catch this many fish all the time. Most other fisherman would not catch that many fish and would go home with just a few fish or no fish at all.  That's changing these days.

Thankfully crappie reproduce faster than we can take them out of the lakes.  And removing a lot of crappie actually can help the population grow bigger.  Fewer fish in the crappie schools means each fish gets more food and grows faster and bigger.  To a point. 

Wednesday my wife and i got out Blackifishing again and this time we were able to fish in the sound.After scanning the bottom looking for a good spot i came across this huge boulder.We  set the anchor got right over it and dropped down some crabs.With in minutes my wife was into a huge tog drag screaming gets him to the top back to the bottom a good 4 times.I finally get him in the net a beautiful 9lb Blackfish the rest of the morning we caught blacks and porgy's it was an aw some day fishing....I love my Hum minbird.... ;D
Regards,

Moose1am

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo