Author Topic: Readouts on Humminbird are TOO BIG!!!!!  (Read 37842 times)

Offline DoubleGobble00

Readouts on Humminbird are TOO BIG!!!!!
« on: June 20, 2011, 04:48:04 PM »
First off I must say that I am a huge Humminbird fan. I own a 898c SI and absolutely love it. It has by far been the best money I have ever spent on electronics and has definitely helped me catch more fish.

From day one.... I noticed that the readouts were WAY too big. They cover a large portion of the 898 screen. At this point in time, there is no way to turn the readouts off or reduce the size of the readouts... Nor is there a way to move the readouts to the bottom of the screen (where they should be) like the 1198 and 1197. This is a HUGE defect in the design of these units. The readouts take up over 27%, yes i said 27% of the total screen. We all know that the cost of those screens are expensive and probably the most expensive part of the unit. Why would you cover up 27% of the screen? It makes my 898 look like a 798....

There has got to be an easy way to fix this problem. I am sure it could be fixed with an update. If it was fixed with an update, it would be the best update HB ever released. It would be WAY better than contour lines, terrain mode, etc.. I dare to say that most don't even use that even though it is very neat to have.. but ALL will use the screen and want to be able to use the whole screen that they paid for...

Is there anybody that can fix this problem? It would make a great unit even better... Would allow everyone to use their unit to the full potential. Any reason why it is not fixed already?

I crunched some numbers and was very surprised at the results. Take a look below:

The more I think about it.. The more it bothers me. Especially after I look at the data below. I crunched a few numbers and the results are unbelievable... Owners of the 898 and 998 are getting the shaft. The most expensive part of your SI system is the screen and over 27% is being used up by READOUTS!!!!!!!!!!! Come on Humminbird... Give us the fix for this... Let us make the numbers smaller or place them at the bottom.. 27% is ridiculous.....

Square Inches of Sonar Data Display Area WITH Readouts:

798c = 12.234 Square Inches
898c = 16.031 Square Inches
998c = 21.312 Square Inches
1198c = 48.156 Square Inches

Square Inches of Sonar Display WITHOUT Readouts:

798c = 13.141 Square Inches
898c = 22.203 Square Inches
998c = 29.219 Square Inches
1198c = 53.391 Square Inches

Increase of screen size without readouts:

798c = 0.907 square inches
898c = 6.172 square inches
998c = 7.907 square inches
1198c = 5.235 square inches

[COLOR="#FF0000"]Percent of screen covered by Readouts:

798c = 6.9%
898c = 27.8%
998c = 27.6%
1198c = 9.8%
[/COLOR]

DoubleG

Offline edwardpic

• Just fish....No excuses
    • My Company
  • Unit(s): 898c and 1198c
  • Software: 5.500 and 5.500
Re: Readouts on Humminbird are TOO BIG!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 05:20:20 PM »
I do agree.....I bought an 1198 to add to my 898 so I could have a larger screen for navigation and sonar. Im sure it can be addressed by a software update. I too would like to see this change. We should have the option of moving the data to another part of the screen or dare I say the option of small-medium-large size. Im kinda shocked at losing 27% of a screen that I paid good money for. Now dont get me wrong I love my units, just like you, I would like to have as much usable space on the screen as possible.
Add this to the wishlist, they say HB reads them, but sadly I highly doubt HB will address this. Dare to dream though!!!

Thanks for posting this!!
Big E

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 06:42:14 PM »
you can go into advanced mode and turn off readouts by position..
both for sonar and for charts.
You could set up different views and have the quick key to go between readouts or none.....
This is done on the setup screen.  page 190 & 191 on the 1198 manual and selecting readouts...

Chuck
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:49:52 PM by sonar2000 »

Offline edwardpic

• My Company
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:58:25 PM »
Readouts arent really an issue on the 1198, but the smaller 898 screen it is....I'd still like to see them just have the ability to move or resize them....JMO
Big E

Offline DoubleGobble00

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:48:40 AM »
Like I said.. I love my 898.. I just want to see it used to its full potential. Being able to place the readouts on the bottom of the screen, reducing their size, or turning them off would be a HUGE improvement to HB and to the user. If it is beneficial for both parties, why not do it? It has been on the wish list for well over a year. It is only complained about by 898 and 998 users since they are the units that the readouts cover 27% of the screen. The 798 and the 1198 are only 7-10% so it makes perfect sense that they are the correct size.

Yes, you can turn off some of the readouts but the white area is still there. It does not remove or reduce the size of the white (somewhat transparent) stripe that displays the readouts.

If this would come out in an update.. Man... It would be better than all the last updates combined!!!!

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 12:41:31 PM »
I wouldn't hold your breath for this update.

It would be nice, but it's probably considered very low on HB's priority of things to update.

The majority of user's don't complain about this, therefore, probably little to nothing will be done about it.

I also think the programming to change this would be rather complex.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 12:43:46 PM by ITGEEK »

Offline edwardpic

• My Company
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 01:14:40 PM »
Shouldnt be that much of a stretch seeing how the 1198 has the readouts on the bottom...but...probably will never happen...theres always a reason why things cant be done or changed, or the answer is "no it cant be done" or "not at this time"...glad I have 2 units...an 898 and 1198....
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:10:41 PM by sonar2000 »
Big E

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 06:12:18 PM »
Yes I see what you mean on the white area.  I agree that if you turn off all readouts then the screen should show all sonar or chart..
But this probably will not happen..(software change).... ::)

Chuck

Offline DoubleGobble00

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
You are right Chuck.. Most likely it will not happen.. but if it did happen.. It would be the best update they have ever released... You have to agree that it would benefit both parties. The 798, 1198, 597, and many others do no have this problem... Not sure why them did that on the 898 and 998...

Offline edwardpic

• My Company
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 09:35:47 AM »
I think that if this was updated it would be a huge plus for HB...We all want the most screen available and buy bigger units for this reason...More detail on a larger screen especially when the boat is moving or rocking from waves....The 1198 is definately a bad boy and love mine....It would be awesome for my 898 to use all the screen for nav/sonar....Ya never know someone at HB just might be listening...AND if other units have the readouts on the bottom I dont think its a stretch to change software on the 898 and 998 units...JMO
Big E

Offline WALLEYE WRANGLER 1

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 12:35:20 PM »
OK I'm a new HB's but have been a long time use of the other brand that starts with a "L" (not looser but close they could be one in the same) anyway all I've heard is how good HB's customer service is... i was looking to switch to the 998 for that reason, but i also have a huge issue with the size and location of the readouts and will have to risk staying with the "L" graphs or be forced into buying a 1198. i would like not to have to spend close to $1000.00 more just to get the most usable screen!!! but this could be HB's hook to get you to buy the biggest and most $$$ unit the have!!

walleye  ???

Offline edwardpic

• My Company
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 12:46:28 PM »
Im waiting for someone to chime in and say "it costs too much to change the software" or "not many people would like to see this change"...I am POSITIVE people would love to see this change....If you asked ANY HB user if they would like to use more of their screen....I doubt any would say nahhh thats ok
Big E

Offline ITGEEK

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 07:35:33 PM »
I don't think cost would be the main issue.
I'm sure HB has full-time programmers on staff.

I think it would be the man-hours involved with changing the software.
Each unit has multiple screen views and there are many different units out there.  We're talking about hundreds, maybe thousands pieces of code to modify.

The thing is, we really don't know what will be involved unless a HB employee tells us.

It may be something really simple to change or really, really complex.

As far as we know, there could be a hardware issue involved also.
Maybe the screens are hard-wired to split and only certain information can be written on the bottom or side (depending on what unit it is).

You would think if it was an easy change, HB would have already done it to stay ahead of that L company.

It would be great if they could do it.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 07:47:43 PM »
It is my understanding that HB outsources the code and does not write it themselves.
Which is why I think we are seeing problems.

No matter how much code I also agree that we should be able to blank out readouts if we want...
Or at least have a pure screen if we wish to see sonar only...
I dont have this problem on other mfg units...
Chuck

Offline edwardpic

• My Company
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 08:31:53 PM »
i'm keepin hope alive!!!!!!
Big E

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
  • Unit(s): 1199 H12G2N-HW-MSI
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 11:53:33 PM »
or maybe add an option to make the numbers background transparent along with the ability to change the color of the numbers.

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 07:29:16 AM »
Maybe a poll should be taken to see what kind of priority it has with us.

George
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:32:36 AM by George »

Offline DoubleGobble00

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 09:35:21 AM »
You are all absolutely correct.... I think everyone wants to be able to use their screen to its full potential. Just think about the last update.. We got contour lines, terrain mode, and the little blue boat now turns in the direction of the waypoint you are heading toward...  Think about the code it took to write that.. think about the man hours it took to make that happen. Now, it was an awesome update, I like it, and I appreciate that it was free to me the user.

BUT... I don't use it. I would have been jumping up and down if the update was to be able to turn off the readouts or move them to the bottom of the screen. That update I would use.. That update EVERYBODY would use....

Now, think about the code it would take to move or remove the readouts... Now think about the code it took to get contour lines, terrain mode, and the little blue boat to turn toward the waypoint.....

I would dare to say, the last update took way more code than an update to move/remove the readouts... I really don't think I am jumping out on a limb saying that...

DoubleG

Offline ITGEEK

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »
The truth is, we have absolutely no idea of what it takes, or what changes are easy or what changes are difficult.  Or, even what changes are possible.

We just have a bunch of assumptions.

Offline DoubleGobble00

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 09:49:08 AM »
One of the guys from crappie.com made a call to Johnson Outdoors and received a call back yesterday. Below is the topic he started on crappie.com:

I wanted to let everyone know that I just received a return call from Mr. Grindle who is Sr. Group Vice President – Marine Electronics & Watercraft for Johnson Outdoors.

Mr. Grindle and I had a very constructive and informative discussion regarding the READOUTS on the HB units. He said that he appreciated the call and that HB took very seriously their customers concerns. He said that he would discuss this issue with their engineers and see what was involved in making some sort of change. I would encourage anyone interested in seeing this change take place to call or e-mail HB.

I appreciate very much the fact that Mr. Grindle took the time to respond to my call. Perhaps he will be able to effect some sort of change.

I also want to thank all that had some positive and constructive comments regarding this issue and especially to DG who started the original thread on this issue.

SB

Hopefully they will be able to do something about the readouts.. Glad to know they called back and at least show an interest in this matter...

DoubleG
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:51:55 AM by DoubleGobble00 »

Offline edwardpic

• My Company
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 09:58:53 AM »
Wow....That was a nice response...maybe emailing them does do a little something......
Big E

Offline DoubleGobble00

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 09:37:07 AM »
Mark Gibson from Humminbird responded to my post on crappie.com and I wanted to share it with you also. Below is the correspondence.

Quote from: gibbym987;1573846
My name is Mark Gibson. I'm the Marketing Director, Field Operations at Humminbird. I wanted to let you know that we have heard from this forum and other groups in the past that you would like to see the way we do the readouts on the 800 and 900 series change. As an avid user of our products I do agree with the comments you have provided and we have been in the process of reviewing and working out what the new scheme would be and how to implement it. I'm not trying to make excuses but changing the layouts is a major architecture change to our User Interface. At this time I can't offer a definite time on when we will be able to offer this new setup as a software update as there are many hurdles for us left to work through but I did want to let you know that this is something we have been working on for some time and we will continue to work towards completion of this task. Once it becomes more evident when this software update will be available I will update you on this site as well as updating other sites that have brought up this topic in the past.

thanks

Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond. I appreciate you letting us know that this issue has not just fallen on deaf ears and that Humminbird does listen to their customers and pursues the appropriate means to come to a resolution. I do hope that the readouts will be able to be relocated, removed, or made smaller in the future.. to the betterment of the HB unit and to the satisfaction of the user. Thanks again for your time and good luck in you endeavor to correct and improve your product!

DoubleG

Offline edwardpic

• My Company
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 09:55:04 AM »
Thats great news, good to see that they do listen to the users and forums. Guess we will wait n see what and when they do an update.
Big E

Offline WALLEYE WRANGLER 1

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 12:17:46 PM »
I'm sorry to say that this issue not bing an easy fix for HB has forced me to buy a Lowrance...

:-[

Offline edwardpic

• My Company
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »
I looked at Lowrance, but the refresh rate is slower and something about spending 600 more to get side scan sonar didnt appeal to me as well as having 2 transducers. The HDS-10 is more expensive right off jump street and with a smaller screen. I also looked at Garmin but their sonar isnt the best and the touchscreen 10.5 inch model is more expensive then HB. HB will do what they can, Love my units so far so Im a happy camper.
Big E

Offline ITGEEK

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 01:05:04 PM »
This issue was never a failure in any way on Humminbird's part.
It's just how they initially designed their screen views.
That's all.

It's not like something is broken and they need to fix it.
It's more of an enhancement to the screen views.

WALLEYEWRANGLER1,
I think you jumped the gun too soon.
As I said before, WE DON'T KNOW WHAT'S INVOLVED TO CHANGE THIS.
It might be easy or very, very difficult, or not possible at all.
Now that HB higher ups are aware that users want this change,  you should at least wait and see what happens with the next update before jumping ship.

Best of luck to you if you need to call Lowrance customer service.
Oh, by the way, Linda Colt was Lowrance's customer service.
She no longer works there.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:11:20 PM by ITGEEK »

Offline RzorbackAngler

• Unit(s): 788 CI, 898c SI
  • Software: 5.4, 5.5
  • Accessories: Interlink
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 11:40:02 PM »
Igeek... I hear what you are saying about CS @ Lowrance.  However, my dealer just changed from HB to Lowrance.  He still will sell HB units...only if the customer requests it.  The boats he rigs will be Lowrance equipped.  He stated that L has greatly improved the quality of their units and he indicated that he has a dedicated L CS rep that he can call to resolve problems and rep will come to his dealership upon request.  I love my HB units but Lowrance is moving forward in providing a great product and improving their marred CS reputation.

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
  • Unit(s): 999ci HD, 798ci HD, 597ci HD DI
  • Software: Latest
  • Accessories: TSW,
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 06:52:14 AM »
I'm sorry to say that this issue not bing an easy fix for HB has forced me to buy a Lowrance...

:-[

Let us know how fast "L" does in making a requested S/W change.  ;)
If it bends my rod, I'm a happy fisherman.

JohnS

http://joefishin.com/

Offline ITGEEK

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 08:56:50 AM »
It's very good news that Lowrance is trying to make their products better and improving their customer service.  I've owned a Lowrance and never had a spec of trouble with it.
The better Lowrance gets, the better Hummibird will have to get, and so on, and so on, and so on.
It's a win, win situation for anglers.

Offline edwardpic

• My Company
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 09:01:03 AM »
As technology changes 12 months from now ALL manufacturers will be light years ahead of where we are now. Its going to be nice to see the changes and whats to come. There will always be competition between brands, thats what makes it awesome for the end user. I also think there will never be a "one size fits all" unit that does everything we want. As consumers we pick a manufacturer with the best track record and bang for our buck....Look how far Garmin has come in just a few short years!!...JMO
Big E

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 11:35:16 AM »
Us old people need BIG READ OUTS.Roddy
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Offline RzorbackAngler

• Unit(s): 788 CI, 898c SI
  • Software: 5.4, 5.5
  • Accessories: Interlink
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 11:23:58 PM »
I switched from Lowrance to HB. and I am stay-in.  I agree competition is good and we are the ones that benefit.  Based on what I have read on the Lowrance forum,  some are having several problems with the latest software update from Lowrance.  So far, I have not had an issue with any software update from HB.  However, posts on this and other forums indicate that software updates have caused HB users problems.  Both companies make excellent products and I am glad that we have a choice.  ;D

Offline ITGEEK

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 08:09:12 AM »
Us old people need BIG READ OUTS.Roddy

Aint that the truth. :)

Offline edwardpic

• My Company
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 08:35:50 AM »
No issues here either so far with updates....Only issue was when connecting by ethernet I had to update both the 898 and 1198 to the 5.5...Alls good so far

Whats the link of the lowrance forum? Buddy of mine has an HDS-10, thought I'd pass on a link for him
Big E

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »
I agree with the large readout complaint.  I wish I had full control over which readout appears in each view and their position.  The navigation windows do not let you remove some readouts, items which I don't use.  I would love to see the option to have the readouts appear on a horizontal bar instead of vertical and have the option to position the bar at the top or bottom of the display.  Frankly, a narrow bar can put all the data across the display and not take up valuable real-estate needed to view the left pane, similar to a Windows task bar on the bottom of the screen.  One key factor in choosing Humminbird was the wide screen, but the readouts do block quite a chunk of information.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2011, 11:21:13 AM »
+1   I agree......... we , the user, should have control over the readouts......
Chuck

Offline ITGEEK

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2011, 10:57:54 PM »
Yes, the readouts do take up a significant amount of space and maybe that will be corrected in the future.

I would hope that before everybody purchased there unit, that they went to their sporting goods/fishing store and played around with the unit a little.
Probably also looked at pictures of the unit on the internet.

So, most of us knew what we were getting and finally decided to buy.
I don't understand all this whining and threatening to go buy a Lowrance.

MOST OF US BOUGHT THE UNITS KNOWING ALREADY THAT THE READOUTS WERE LARGE!
All this complaining is kind of crazy.

That's like buying a car with a stated maximum speed of 100 mph, then complaining to the manufacturer that it doesn't go 150 mph.

Offline Enufzed

• Enufzed
  • Oh happy days !!
  • Unit(s): 898cx SI
  • Software: V 6.180
  • Accessories: SanDisk 8GB Extreme III SDHC 30mg
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2011, 12:04:30 AM »
I agree with your statement Totally , I have an 898 and Just LOVE IT as it is BUT it would be great if it were not too much trouble to change it or have the option to place the readouts  (I think) to the bottom of the screen and smaller.
Old fishos never die: they just smell that way

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2011, 12:09:54 AM »
+1 on the whining......Way too much whining going on.  I sometimes  wonder if the HB forums are being sabatoged to create discontent.

It is one thing to seek legitimate help with an issue and another for the same person to start spreading discontent on all the forums with the same issue .....kind of like the donut people.

I see Geof posted while I was typing....not directing this at any individual, just a generic statement.....I agree with Geof's post.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:12:59 AM by Bob B »
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline edwardpic

• My Company
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2011, 08:13:49 PM »
I dont see it as "whining" per say....I see at it as yes people would like to see the option...Are we not supposed to share ideas and things we would like as far as options? And definately dont see this thread as spreading discontent....I would love to have the option of moving or resizing the readouts, that being said, I am definately not unhappy with my units, just the oposite...AND I would never just go buy a different brand JUST because of one small thing like readouts...JMO

Happy 4th Everyone!!
Big E

Offline Bob B

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2011, 06:40:39 PM »
I am not saying it wouldn't be a good upgrade.  I would like to have that option also.

I am just getting tired of this tactic of blasting all the forums with it over and over again.  Similar to the "donut" crowd and the "screen too dim" crowd.

Offline edwardpic

• My Company
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2011, 08:30:08 PM »
Point taken......(I have no idea what the donut crowd is...)
Big E

Offline Bob B

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »
Consider yourself lucky on the "donut" >:D

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 04:53:29 PM »
Consider yourself lucky on the "donut" >:D

Unfortunately for HB ....the"Donut" and the topic of this post "Readouts too big" are still turning customers (current and new) to Lowrance ....

Issues are issues only to those that are adversely affected by the issues....

Some of those affected adversely ...deal with it...others jump ship.....

I'm sure Lowrance loves "Donuts" and "Big Readouts"....

Rickie

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2011, 08:02:55 PM »
I am not saying it wouldn't be a good upgrade.  I would like to have that option also.

I am just getting tired of this tactic of blasting all the forums with it over and over again.  Similar to the "donut" crowd and the "screen too dim" crowd.
If those kind of comments come up over and over again, then it would be a valid concern.  What the continuation of those comments shows is a lack of a response to what passionate customers want to see in a product.  The readouts are too big and the display is not bright enough in daylight, there is no denying it.   For Humminbird, the path to excellence is to acknowledge the comments and communicate why or why not to incorporate those changes in future releases.   It would serve them <or any company> well.  Hopefully the Humminbird Select program is the missing link to the customer.

Offline edwardpic

• My Company
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2011, 08:14:45 PM »
A general discussion has turned to more then the intent. I have a 898c and 1198c on my 21ft CC and love both, the sidescan is awesome....I also have a 35ft Donzi CC with two Garmin 5212's that came with the boat...Although the touchscreen on the Garmin is cool as well as the radar dome, NOT having the sidescan leaves cool factors mute...I am a very happy HB customer and if I had my way I would have outfitted the Donzi with two 1198's BUT since theres already 11K in electronics they will stay...All that being said I have a lot more fun with the sidescan and the units I have on the 21ft...For me I dont see jumping ship to another brand just for readouts too large, and the OTHER brands have slower processing speeds....NO brand will be the absolute perfect unit and have ALL that we want....JMO
Big E

Offline lcookie

• Unit(s): 998SI/1198SI/788DI/587DI
  • Software: 6.68/6.64/6.64/6.09
  • Accessories: Ethernet, GRHA, ASGPSHS,WeatherSense
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »
I think that turning off the readouts and utilizing the full screen could be done for all screens as some of the screens already allow for it. However, I don't think it is a deal breaker.  I made a decision to purchase my unit when I did and I don't regret it now.  For me the readouts are easy to read from a distance and don't take away much.  When I do want more real estate I just turn them off as I see fit.  If they change it I would utilize the update but if they never do I won't care.  With technology you have to accept what you purchased and when you feel the need to want better just go back and think about what made you get what you have in the first place.  That is until what you have is obsolete but that is not the case with these units.

Offline Tundah

• Unit(s): 898c HD SI
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2014, 02:51:27 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but the issue still remains and appears there are no plans to address it.  From HB yesterday in reference to the readouts on the 898 (many software versions since original post), "Currently, there are no plans for this type of revision to the Humminbird product line."  Oh well, effort made...will deal with it.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »
HB did listen about the readout customization...on the ONIX and ION...

Rickie

Offline sfw1960

• Bringer Of The 'Bird
    • http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/member.php?u=3330
  • Unit(s): H10MSI G2N-H10MDI G2N-H12SI-H12MSI G2N
  • Software: v1.840 x 3, v1.830
  • Accessories: AS GPS HS x2, I-Pilot Link, RC-1, RC-2
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2014, 06:13:12 PM »
HB did listen about the readout customization...on the ONIX and ION...

Rickie

For the "common man" those units are a bit out of touch, especially considering  you can get a $99 color entry level unit from a competitor with overlay data Rickie - it's marketing & the other higher-ups NOT listening to the masses. The Onix platform was redesigned off another company's architecture also. :o
Nobody @ HB or a representative of theirs has even been able to explain why some boxes are translucent and others (like SI) are opaque. If there was some consistency in that making them all translucent - I think some folks could deal with it better.
I do love my 'Birds - but some of the practices of JOI as of late have me scratching my head at times...
I left another brand because of service - both kinds; don't want to see that moniker changing for the one that treats it's peeps for the better. No one does.

RAS
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:15:56 PM by sfw1960 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo