Author Topic: New to the 998C HD SI, looking for info while waiting for winter to be done  (Read 8534 times)

Offline WI Bad Bass

• Unit(s): 998c HD SI
  • Software: Stock
So I just registered my unit, Humminbird says their is two updates, but I think my unit already has them.  I have the 360 ready in my unit.  Is there anything I should try to learn now in my living room with my WI Lake Map installed before hitting the water?  I just hooked it up to my boat battery. I am so impressed with just seeing the depths of my local lakes that I am chomping at the bit to see open water. This is my first depth finder that is newer then '95. Thanks guys.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
In your account on the HB website...there should be only 1 version of unit software available for download...

If you click on the version link...a popup will show the version software and the description of the details in that version...

If you highlight this entire popup window and right click on it...there should be an option to save that detailed version description on your PC for future reference...

You might even download that version software to your a safe place on your PC ...and keep it in case you her may want to try that version in your unit sometime in the future...

Also..you can power on your unit ....press "Menu" when the GPS disclaimer screen shows ...then choose "System Status" from the 3 options ...and a page will open showing the version software in your unit ...(along with some other interesting info about your specific unit)...

The other available download in your HB account on the HB website is probably Humminbird PC...which is the PC based software for managing waypoints, routes, and tracks...

Rickie
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:15:55 AM by rnvinc »

Offline WI Bad Bass

Rickie,

Yes I am on the HB site, the update they are showing is the 360 sonar.  When I turn mu unit on it has the 360 as a option to use just like the down and SI.  I would guess that my unit is new enough that it has the upgrade in it, but maybe they know more about my unit then I do because I did give them the serial number.  I do not see me paying for the 360 so I will just save it to my computer.  Is there anything I should try to learn in the house that will save me time on the water?

Offline rnvinc

There are a couple of great learning tools for the HB units...

The "Simulator" is a preinstalled recording in the unit hard memory...this tool (Simulator) allows you to makes changes to the settings and see the effects of those changes right on unit as the Simulator is running...

Another great learning tool is the "Snapshot and Recording" feature...

Snapshots and Recordings can actually be created while the "Simulator" is running (if you have a SD Card inserted into one of the card slots)....to allow learning how to take Snapshots and Recordings....as well as viewing those snapshots on the unit...or playing back those recordings on the unit...

There are 2 separate "Simulator" programs in the unit...

*Powering on the unit (without an xducer attached)...and not pressing any other button during bootup...will put the unit into "Point of Sale Simulator" ...(which is the Simulator you see running in big box stores for people to play with....)...making any changes in settings while in "Point of Sale Simulator" will not be saved into the unit...

*Powering on the unit...pressing "Menu" during the GPS disclaimer screen...and choosing "Simulator" from the popup window...will put the unit into "Forced Simulator" ...making any changes in settings while in "Forced Simulator" will be saved into the unit memory such that the next time the unit is powered on ...those settings changes made will still be in effect....

Start the Simulator and start pressing buttons to see what it does to the Simulator images...

If you forget what buttons you've pressed...go into the main tabbed menu (press "Menu" twice)...cursor over to the "Setup" tab....cursor down to "Restore Defaults"...cursor right to activate the restore...exit out of the main menu...and start pressing buttons again to experiment with the settings...

Rickie
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:06:10 PM by rnvinc »

Offline WI Bad Bass

Thanks a lot, I have been looking at the lake maps I fish around home and can not believe the changes in the depth.  I have been passing by some great spots.  Hoping I don't burn up all the way points to try before the water opens.

Can I get away with just marking spots on the map and going to them and fishing them, or do I need a second unit on the trolling motor to make this all come together.  It seems like this first finder is a huge step in finding more fish, fished for years with out, but I feel like I will gain twice the time on the lake fishing in spots where the fish are, not where I think they should be.  I know in a perfect word I would have a $50,000 boat, but I don't so let spring come.

Offline rnvinc

Marking "fishy" spots in the map for fishing later is another great tool of the HB units....

You will find that spots marked on the map while at home will be more "general fishy spots"...like humps or ledges or creek channels...they will get you close to areas of interest...

Then when you actually get the boat on the water...you will need to "fine tune" those marked spots with verification that you see on the images (2d/DI/SI)....

Then for specific waypoints set while on the water on structure like brush or stumps or foundations ...these waypoints will be accurate enough to return to them over and over again...

It is always recommended to place the GPS antenna as close to the xducer as possible for the best accuracy of the GPS system...

Another unit on the bow is convenient but not absolutely necessary...

I know many guys that use their console unit to get to their marked waypoints and then toss out a buoy at the arrival of the waypoint to fish the buoy...

Rickie

Offline WI Bad Bass

I think we are fishing in a tournament opening weekend and have been setting way points on the north side of the lake. Can't wait to go to the smaller lakes that are not on the chip and see the lake bottom.  Never fails, I always want to be better and have better gear, so not sure if I should wait to upgrade more or just fish with the new finder for a couple months and then think about it.   

I have been looking at the Terrova trolling motor with the sonar 2.  Can this be feed to the unit at the wheel or does it need a second unit?  Looks like for $1500 you get a 80#, I-Pilot and the sonar?  I guess if I was going to spend more money on another 998c, I would rather have the trolling motor.  What do you think?

Offline rnvinc

The US2 is the same 2d piezo that's in the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T of the 998...

I'm pretty sure the pigtail for the US2 could be ran to anywhere in the boat with the EC W10 or EC W30 transducer extension cable...

I'm not sure what your idea is with running the US2 2d to the console...can you explain...??

Rickie

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 09:03:05 PM by rnvinc »

Offline bobcoy

• Unit(s): 1197 & 1198
  • Software: 6.640 & 7.670
  • Accessories: iPilot-Link,GRHA GPS-HS,ETH 5PS
US2 hooks up to the transducer port. Unless you use a switch you can't us hsdi and the US2. If you have a bow mounted hdsi I would not pay more to get the us2. Bob

Offline WI Bad Bass

I was thinking of running the switch to go between the two transducers, but use just the one screen at the wheel.  I ordered a mount to turn it around so I can use it from the front.  Again I am new to the nice finder, so new I am still playing with it on the couch.  I would think I could make passes through each lack using the side imaging, locate spots to fish, then fish using the trolling motor and transducer.  I could me way wrong, around 3 months before I can really try it out.  Thanks

Offline bobcoy

The HDSI has the 83/200 as well as side immaging. The US2 has the same(83/200). No need for duplicates. Bob

Offline WI Bad Bass

Don't I want the DI on the front of the boat where I am fishing from?  I don't think I need two screens at this point, but being that I have the nice 998 now I could use the switch and then use the it with the U2. I think I want the I-Pilot so pay a little more and have it all.

Offline bobcoy

If you mount your transducer(hdsi)on the trolling motor you will have everything on the front.(2D,SI/Di). If you want 2D on the back you could put on a switch,but the US2 is only 2D.

Offline WI Bad Bass

But it can be ran the other way around right?  2d up front, si/di on the back with one screen. Everything I have read says you have to be moving for SI to work right.  Once I find structure with the SI, I would think you would mark it, then go further with DI on the front.  I am just guessing here so if I am wrong tell me.  Would hate to spend more on electronics the the boat and not be able to use them the way I think. Thanks for the info.

Offline rnvinc

You can ...:

*Mount the stock XHS 9 HDSI 180 T on the transom for 2d/DI/SI...
*Plug the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T into the "Line thru" leg of the HB TS3 switch.
*Set the "Transducer Select" menu to "Hi Def SideScan" for transom 2d/DI/SI...
----------------
*Connect the US2 to a EC W10 or EC W30 xducer extension cable...
*Connect the xducer extension cable to the "Switch thru" leg of the HB TS3 switch...
*Set "Transducer Select" menu to "Dual Beam"....
*Flip HB TS3 switch...for TM US2 2d sonar...

I think you may also need a MK adapter cable from the US2 pigtail to the EC W30 xducer extension cable...

I'm pretty sure this will work this way...

Rickie
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:30:44 PM by rnvinc »

Offline WI Bad Bass

Very cool, glad to hear.  Next thing would be if the I-Pilot is worth it over another 998 just put on the trolling motor I have? Lets say I just came into $1500 and have the 998 set up already at the back of the boat, witch way would you go?

Offline rnvinc

I have read some guys saying they would give up SI before they gave up their iPilot ....

I run cable steer...so I can't tell you much about the electric steer models...

Rickie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo